33 1/3%... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

33 1/3%...

That is your view of the other side of the discussion.

Conversely, my view of your side of the discussion is that when there is a miss, the situation is dire. If you recruited them, you needed them, so losing them is a sign that the bottom has fallen out. And since you ignore the discussion of the hits (signed players) Your posts seem to indicate that you discount the hits as a counterweight to the bottom falling out.

See how things look remarkably similar when you actually look at both sides of the discussion. I guess it just depends on whether you choose to be a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" sort of person.

The reality is that with the combination of sanctions allowing fewer coaches out recruiting (ie. developing relationships with recruits), along with the loss of the top recruiting assistant, the program was bound to be working from behind the curve with respect to a number of years worth of recruiting. But, if you are a "glass half empty" person, you don't worry about or consider these events as mitigating factors. The natural proclivity is to ignore them as factors. (In fact, I would hazard a guess that some people who post in this forum never even thought of these or understood the ramifications of these events)

I never once stated the bottom was falling out or that the situation was dire. I repeatedly stated that OO was not a make it or break it recruit. I never said the sanctions had no impact on recruiting (but I don't believe they played as big a role as has been rationalized on this board with vacant scholarships available during those sanctions). I have also stated that I think we have a nice looking team next year that I think (if healthy) should do quite well. I've also said the staff did an amazing job landing Carey. I said that landing Braswell after Bazely spurned us at such a late stage, was a great addition. Maybe it is not I that sees things with a glass half full lens. Mind you, I don't always post what folks want to hear, but I repeatedly post positive things about the team, staff, players, etc and most on here only see the negatives. I hope you have a nice day.

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">St. Bonaventure&#39;s Mark Schmidt will hire Sean Neal as an assistant coach, per a source. Neal was at La Salle last season.</p>&mdash; Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) <a href="">May 23, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just wanted to chim in since the Osun thread was closed and this was discussed
Thank you. Now this makes sense to me. Gmac definitely had an up hill climb.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">St. Bonaventure&#39;s Mark Schmidt will hire Sean Neal as an assistant coach, per a source. Neal was at La Salle last season.</p>&mdash; Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) <a href="">May 23, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just wanted to chim in since the Osun thread was closed and this was discussed

And there you go. The SB site had a TBD for an asst. The whole LaSalle staff was let go. There was enough rumblings about a LaSalle coach at SB. Guess he had to deliver the recruit before he got the job. So NOW, he has the PT, he has his buddy there and he has a coach who he has known for at least 2 years.

Last edited:
And there you go. The SB site had a TBD for an asst. The whole LaSalle staff was let go. There was enough rumblings about a LaSalle coach at SB. Guess he had to deliver the recruit before he got the job. So NOW, he has the PT, he has his buddy there and he has a coach who he has known for at least 2 years.

Or he got the job and they delayed the announcement.

Still not a legit excuse by JazzNC metrics

Mighty kind of him to bag them a recruit while he was unemployed.

So you don't think there is an possibility this was in the works before today and he may have hinted to Osun it was going to happen? Geez two3, I thought you were smarter than this, but I guess any reason to take another shot....

So you don't think there is an possibility this was in the works before today and he may have hinted to Osun it was going to happen? Geez two3, I thought you were smarter than this, but I guess any reason to take another shot...

Not taking a shot. Sure it's possible, but not sure why they'd wait to hire him.

In the last few weeks we lost recruiting battles to Butler and St Bon. Yup...everythings fine.

We got big boy'd by Duke and Kentucky when they swooped in at the last minute and swiped Tucker and Quade respetively.

We should have been able to do the same to Butler and St. Bon. That's the issue

That’s not nearly the same thing. Quade was a 5 star recruit who started for Kentucky last year. We’re talking about marginal recruits(numbers wise) who would’ve sat the bench for at least a year here, and who were “projects” that we suddenly were interested late in pretty much solely for depth at this point.

Practice informed [versus blind faith] -- but admittedly, I'm projecting a bit with Carey.
RF care to take a stab based on practice observations as to how you see ppg unfolding per player? Just curious based on what you saw, how in your mind you see points dropping per player. Even swag potential range example 8-10 per...like SoBe, I am having a hard time seeing 75-80 points as a team unless there is someone ready to make a jump as in 18-20 per game.

RF care to take a stab based on practice observations as to how you see ppg unfolding per player? Just curious based on what you saw, how in your mind you see points dropping per player. Even swag potential range example 8-10 per...like SoBe, I am having a hard time seeing 75-80 points as a team unless there is someone ready to make a jump as in 18-20 per game.

Brissett got 15 ppg last year didn’t he? Not hard to see him making the jump to 18-20 ppg IMO. He finishes 2 more drives per game(we know he can get there at will, just couldn’t make them) and he’s there.

not that hard
tyus, oshae & frank combined for 48.5 per game last year.
not hard for me to see oshae, frank & marek in a more pronounced role averaging close to that. say 18, 16 and 12 for 46 per game
hughes adds 11
carey adds 8
we get 6 from the centers
that's 71. 5 points per game from the bench and we're at 76.

this is not a prediction; but it is not hard to imagine.

Brissett got 15 ppg last year didn’t he? Not hard to see him making the jump to 18-20 ppg IMO. He finishes 2 more drives per game(we know he can get there at will, just couldn’t make them) and he’s there.
Yeah so taking Battle out of the calculus for this exercise, Brissit averaged 14.9, Frank 14.4 and no one else above 6. So if Brissit makes a leap to 19 and Frank 16 respectively, that leaves a gap of 40 points(45 if the target is 80 per game). Lets say Marek goes from 5.8 to 10. That leaves 30-35 points to hit the target. If the centers combine for 8-10, that leaves 22-27 points to hit the number. Is the thinking Elijah is good for 16+/- per game?

Really hard to say -- a lot depends on whether Hughes starts, versus a newcomer like Carey. A guy like Frank could see his shot attempts / points go down due to other guys being more capable, but his offensive production could be more "efficient." Also hard to know whether Sidibe will bounce back physically -- if he does, then I'd expect his offensive production to surprise many. I'd expect Marek to kick things up a notch, too now that he's earned the green light, but to what degree -- hard to say.

What I WILL suggest is that we've got a lot more weapons than last year, better depth, and better shooting. The question will be which lineups optimize the squad's offensive compatibility.

Really hard to say -- a lot depends on whether Hughes starts, versus a newcomer like Carey. A guy like Frank could see his shot attempts / points go down due to other guys being more capable, but his offensive production could be more "efficient." Also hard to know whether Sidibe will bounce back physically -- if he does, then I'd expect his offensive production to surprise many. I'd expect Marek to kick things up a notch, too now that he's earned the green light, but to what degree -- hard to say.

What I WILL suggest is that we've got a lot more weapons than last year, better depth, and better shooting. The question will be which lineups optimize the squad's offensive compatibility.

I wouldn't try to count the points, just look at the rotational players that should able to score. In addition to whatever you attribute to the starters, we should also get regular points from our 6th and 7th men, which was almost never the case last year.

Chuckwu
Dolezaj
Brisett
Howard
Carey

Hughes
Sidibe

Unless MD totally regresses I don't see us ever playing 3 on 5 like last year.

Last edited:
that was a mic dropping post by orangeextreme

I know what you meant from the last post in the Osun thread, but that was def me you quoted...haha. I dont post much anymore for the exact reasons the Osun thread went south.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom