4 game stat snap shot | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

4 game stat snap shot

This may be the most under-discussed thing on the board. We've had sooooo many seasons where people excused bad play because we had a "new" system. To launch full-throttle out of the gate like we have is really something.
Aye - true. But it takes a lot of things adding up to make it look like it is just working this year. I’d be careful to not just say “hire a good OC” because all systems are different, players change (we have an oldish QB with a certain temperament for example) etc. We often don’t know what we have right away.

Our DC’s first season we went 1-10 and while in some ways it seemed better - was kinda hard to tell in all the carnage.

if they were maximizing all their possessions, they'd be better in yards per play

maybe they're maximizing their chances to score when getting turnovers or on whatever fraction of drives where they move the ball

but, regardless, scoring a lot relative to yards gained is great but not something that persists

we went through this with shafer
We have an above average offense without scoring taken into account. Adjusted EPA for O is alright. That our red zone % is great speaks to competency - and that *is* repeatable.

I would not under any circumstances compare this to McFartit and Shafer. Something else is happening here.

Aye - true. But it takes a lot of things adding up to make it look like it is just working this year. I’d be careful to not just say “hire a good OC” because all systems are different, players change (we have an oldish QB with a certain temperament for example) etc. We often don’t know what we have right away.

Our DC’s first season we went 1-10 and while in some ways it seemed better - was kinda hard to tell in all the carnage.

I think Anae will figure it out. While everyone is hand wringing over the running game and rightfully so, the passing game could get more explosive too. I don't think anyone really cares how we move the ball and score points just get it done

I think Anae will figure it out. While everyone is hand wringing over the running game and rightfully so, the passing game could get more explosive too. I don't think anyone really cares how we move the ball and score points just get it done
Agreed - and if we needed more proof of their quality - that would do it.

if they were maximizing all their possessions, they'd be better in yards per play

maybe they're maximizing their chances to score when getting turnovers or on whatever fraction of drives where they move the ball

but, regardless, scoring a lot relative to yards gained is great but not something that persists

we went through this with shafer
That happened one time in 2015 , and they slow played to 319 yds on offense and were outgained by 119 yds per game. It’s not the same thing at all.

This may be the most under-discussed thing on the board. We've had sooooo many seasons where people excused bad play because we had a "new" system. To launch full-throttle out of the gate like we have is really something.
And there is obvious upside

Yeah, if Tucker wasn't a national-level player people might be a bit less frantic about the run game. I think some of the concern is that he's not "getting his". He's a great back and no one's going to turn down a great run game, but the key is moving the ball and scoring points by any means necessary.

I wonder if the fact that Anae and Beck came together factors there. The staff had 2 dudes for sure immediately on the same page.

Yeah, if Tucker wasn't a national-level player people might be a bit less frantic about the run game. I think some of the concern is that he's not "getting his". He's a great back and no one's going to turn down a great run game, but the key is moving the ball and scoring points by any means necessary.
The issue with Sean is that his level of usage isn’t generating direct production. Awfully expensive decoy.

The story so far is how points have been ahead of yards, which is such a rare thing for this program, and how the defense has been excellent.

Through four games Yards gained per point is 11.83. The only other times that a season has ended in that range is 18, 15, and 01. On defense it is 19.23, which SU has never achieved in a season. The next closest is 18.9 in 01.

That‘s the profile of a 10 win team, as we saw in 01 and 18. If SU was in the coastal this is a 9, 10, 11 win team, which I’ve said before. With the level of competition I think 8 wins would be great.

What is encouraging is that this has been achieved with a sputtering run game and a decent opening schedule, not 3 cupcakes and a marquee team. This is also four games with a new offensive system.

If they can get the run game untracked and maintain the pass game production, that would go a long way to protecting the defense and this team will be competitive the rest of the season.

They are doing the right things on the offense, obviously already started a self scout and using the next two weeks as a mini-camp with a scrimmage in the middle.

Bend but don't break defense, super-tough in the red zone.

Offense has opened up, but needs to find balance.

I am SO enjoying articles that are placing us just outside the top group in the conference, like this one:

Mailbag: Which ACC teams will and won't make a bowl game?

Saying we're the 4th best team in the ACC is a hell of a lot more fun than being 14th!

i don't find this encouraging

if you finish with being way better in points than yards, sure that's the profile of a lucky 10 win team

but if you're 4-0 and way better in points than in yards, expect to come down to earth. we are about the same in yards per play on offense and defense. this is a .500 team that got lucky twice so maybe we end up 7-5, 8-4 if we play like a .500 team the rest of the way

I see your point, but I wouldn't go quite that far. We are about 75 yards better on offense vs. defense per game. We have had a turnover advantage, despite last week. That's not purely a .500 team; that's a 7 or 8 win team, in my book.

Yeah, 33 points per game on offense, and we're not even firing on all cylinders is very promising!

Giving up only 18 PPG on defense isn't too shabby either. We're rated very high in that regard.

We have an above average offense without scoring taken into account. Adjusted EPA for O is alright. That our red zone % is great speaks to competency - and that *is* repeatable.

I would not under any circumstances compare this to McFartit and Shafer. Something else is happening here.
I was thinking of Lester who was obviously a million time better than mcf'it

We have some incredible swings and misses at OC over the years

Bend but don't break defense, super-tough in the red zone.

Offense has opened up, but needs to find balance.

I am SO enjoying articles that are placing us just outside the top group in the conference, like this one:

Mailbag: Which ACC teams will and won't make a bowl game?

Saying we're the 4th best team in the ACC is a hell of a lot more fun than being 14th!
Yep, problem is that the level of difficulty is not evenly spread

I was thinking of Lester who was obviously a million time better than mcf'it

We have some incredible swings and misses at OC over the years
Yeah, eggs was rotten.

Lester is a very good offensive coach.

8-4 is a pretty good year for us. After Wagner, the next 6 games are brutal. 3-3 would be as good as we could get. 2-4 wouldn't be all that disappointing. At least to me.
8-4 would be amazing. Finishimg bad feels worse that starting bad. Think about how happy everyone was in 2012

i do think they are trying to force Tucker a bit in both the running and passing game. Obviously he’s a tremendous talent but like to see a bit of innovation in run scheme but also a little more patience with it as well, just seems like they are forcing it, like they absolutely need to get him the ball or else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom