4 guys with 39+ minutes, 5 with 35+ | Syracusefan.com

4 guys with 39+ minutes, 5 with 35+

Millhouse

Living Legend
i'm not complaining about the short bench, he had to do it.

but i want them to concede some road games where they're tired and aren't going to win anyway. get guys rest when it's a lost cause and don't try to win every game, try to win the most that you can reasonably expect

Conceding games before we play them, interesting. Also, not sure we are in a position to concede anything.
images

This rotation isn't going to play any back to backs till the conference tourney.
I think playing 6 can win us 6-7(including yesterday's win) home games I really just want to enough games to have a winning season and call it a season.
Get JB 1000 wins and keep the winning season streak alive.
Howard/Chukwu/Coleman only need to play if players DQ themselves due to fouls.

The bench won't continue to be this short. I think JB was sending a message and will continue to send the message for a few games, but gradually re-introduce players like TT and Coleman. TT will probably end up in the mid teens in mpg and Coleman will probably get into the 6-8 minute range, providing adequate rest for all the forwards. Howard is the big question mark. If he stays, I have to imagine he eventually gets some minutes back but who knows.

Either way, we can't afford to take any games off and I don't think these college kids, in arguably the best physical condition they'll be in in their whole lives, will have an issue playing 40 minutes of basketball a couple times a week. They don't play 4 or 5 games a week like NBA players. They'll be fine and we have to get to a minimum of 11 wins to have a shot at the tournament. I don't see us doing that without stealing a few games here and there.

The bench won't continue to be this short. I think JB was sending a message and will continue to send the message for a few games, but gradually re-introduce players like TT and Coleman. TT will probably end up in the mid teens in mpg and Coleman will probably get into the 6-8 minute range, providing adequate rest for all the forwards. Howard is the big question mark. If he stays, I have to imagine he eventually gets some minutes back but who knows.

Either way, we can't afford to take any games off and I don't think these college kids, in arguably the best physical condition they'll be in in their whole lives, will have an issue playing 40 minutes of basketball a couple times a week. They don't play 4 or 5 games a week like NBA players. They'll be fine and we have to get to a minimum of 11 wins to have a shot at the tournament. I don't see us doing that without stealing a few games here and there.

Never underestimate Boeheim. He will keep the 6-man rotation if that's what he thinks will win games.

Never underestimate Boeheim. He will keep the 6-man rotation if that's what he thinks will win games.

I don't doubt he would, I was just saying I don't think it will be as extreme as the essentially 5 man 'rotation' we played last night. Inevitable foul trouble and other factors will necessitate TT gets more than 5 mpg. Coleman's path to a few minutes each half is less clear, but he could play against certain matchups.

Gillon expends the most energy on the court with his style of play. 40 mpg for him is probably the most taxing. I'm not saying he can't do it - these guys are all basically superhumans - but, if Howard stays and gets his head screwed on straight, Gillon might benefit from a little rest.

Conceding games before we play them, interesting. Also, not sure we are in a position to concede anything.
images
ok, let's just play 5 guys 40 minutes a game. that will work out great in the long run. i don't have a meme so this probably isn't convincing to you

ok, let's just play 5 guys 40 minutes a game. that will work out great in the long run. i don't have a meme so this probably isn't convincing to you

Rest can help, but players aren't going to die if they don't have a sub come in for a few minutes during the game. Muscles generally need about 2 days of rest to fully recover and it's rare that we play games that close together.

Thompson got in early foul trouble and the good Roberson showed up. Lydon played the 5 effectively and was able to stay out of foul trouble. Gillon did a lot more good things than bad for nearly an entire game. Battle played 40 minutes while minimizing freshman mistakes and was excellent at the top of the zone.

Anyone who believes that this formula can be repeated with regularity as this team moves through the conference schedule is dreaming. Thompson certainly will be needed if this team is to continue to be successful, as will Coleman and Howard. JB has eight important pieces right now, even if they don't all see significant minutes on any given night.

it really comes down to style that game is played at.. UNC/UL i doubt we can get away with it.. but many teams dont run/press all game so its not that hard to play the minutes. except of course some injuries/tweaks will happen.

thompson will play more if he doesnt get fouls, roberson needed to play more at this level for us to have any chance. Howard is the unknown. i wouldnt be surprised if he got back to 10-15 min if he just stopped making mistakes. Would hope you can get 3-4 min a half out of Coleman too and not just because of foul trouble.

Rest can help, but players aren't going to die if they don't have a sub come in for a few minutes during the game. Muscles generally need about 2 days of rest to fully recover and it's rare that we play games that close together.

I remember during the 07-08 season when we played essentially 6 guys and Harris/Greene and others were just gasping for air at times with their hands on their knees.

Thompson got in early foul trouble and the good Roberson showed up. Lydon played the 5 effectively and was able to stay out of foul trouble. Gillon did a lot more good things than bad for nearly an entire game. Battle played 40 minutes while minimizing freshman mistakes and was excellent at the top of the zone.

Anyone who believes that this formula can be repeated with regularity as this team moves through the conference schedule is dreaming. Thompson certainly will be needed if this team is to continue to be successful, as will Coleman and Howard. JB has eight important pieces right now, even if they don't all see significant minutes on any given night.
If TT doesn't play his mom will lightJB up. I assume the phone is ringing off the hook this morning...

I remember during the 07-08 season when we played essentially 6 guys and Harris/Greene and others were just gasping for air at times with their hands on their knees.
UMass NIT game, AO in the 2nd half just stood by the opponents basket and didn't even both to get back on D.

Can't wait for the we need to play bench more threads in about 5 games.

Remember when Cooney should have been benched for Frank? Fun times.

If TT doesn't play his mom will lightJB up. I assume the phone is ringing off the hook this morning...
It's probably a good thing I don't know anything about that.

UMass NIT game, AO in the 2nd half just stood by the opponents basket and didn't even both to get back on D.

I loved AO but man was he poorly conditioned.

I hear you but this was by far the best the team played all year. If you can't win unless you play 5 guys for 40 min then what does it matter if they are rested for later games?

I hear you but this was by far the best the team played all year. If you can't win unless you play 5 guys for 40 min then what does it matter if they are rested for later games?
Exactly my point, jordoo. What are we resting them for, the NIT? We need our best lineup to play if we have any shot of making a run at it.

I think Coleman's minutes are dropping because his body might just be done trying to compete at this level.

you guys would take your best pitcher and put them out there every game

we will probably have enough blowouts for guys to get rest but I think the way to maximize our number of wins this year is not to play 5 guys all game long - if that means we play more guys in games we are unlikely to win no matter what, do it

I don't care. When we were playing 9 guys we stunk. Ride 6-7 horses as far as they can go
with luck, that'll get us to 4-1 and then close at 3-10. with luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom