44 IS RESTORED | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

44 IS RESTORED

Bullshit. If McNabb keeps his fat yap shut, this is a non-story.
No one was forced to listen to McNabb. If someone from the school/athletic dept felt the need to respond, they could have given a "we respect McNabb and his right to speak on the issue, however we feel this is a great tradition unique to Syracuse" type statement noting that alum such as Floyd Little are on board.

ESPN recently posted the article to their Facebook page, which receives a lot of traffic

Should have been used for Carmelo then. I think it was shelved for sure.
I've heard from several people that we offered 44 to Carmelo and he wanted his own thing with 15.

Did the McNabb tweets gain any notice outside of Syracuse.com though? That can't be the reason why SU is running backwards on this can it?
Last night it was also one of the big picture stories on MSN.com. Big picture of McNabb and story about how he was displeased. Groan...

Big picture - the more publicity 44 gets, the more its importance is cemented in the mind of the sports public.

Good way to look at it, I guess. However, I still have to be ashamed at the PR nightmare on the Hill. How in God's green earth can we be so inept, when we have the top communications school in the country?

OrangeViking said:
Good way to look at it, I guess. However, I still have to be ashamed at the PR nightmare on the Hill. How in God's green earth can we be so inept, when we have the top communications school in the country?

It's been that way for years. There's a real disjoint on how to deliver the right message.

And at the end of the day, the important thing here: 44 is, absolutely, without question, going to be back on the field at some point. Almost certainly on the back of Robert Washington.
Have you heard anything from him or his family about this confusion? I hope they arent being sucked into the syracuse.com death spiral.

Suggestion: Lets let this thread die a slow death and sink to the bottom of the page and into oblivion and revive it when someone comes running out of the tunnel with 44 on their back.

Have you heard anything from him or his family about this confusion? I hope they arent being sucked into the syracuse.com death spiral.
They know what's really up, and that confusion aside, 44 will be available. The biggest thing is they want everyone to just stay positive and not let any of the negativity take over. The negativity some put on display is a very bad look.

Stern - just like your icon - your shtick is getting a little tired. Go find something else for you to poop on. All you do is rail against SU football. Not quite sure how you can say we don't have a good HC when the dude is going into his THIRD FRICKING YEAR, and is a few games below .500 over those 2 years.

Floyd was in support of this right? and he is on the committee to select the next individual to wear the number. He could very well just go on ESPN and squash all this... would make McNabb look like a complainer, which we all know he is, and things would just move on but in a positive light.

Stern said:
All the last 48 hours has proved is we need a STRONG AD and a STRONG head coach who has control of the program. Right now we have neither. Its a program with no voice and no direction and with that you get this!

Disagree on the coach.

In reality the only person these people should ask about bringing back 44 is the man who started the legend, and knew Ernie the best, Jim Brown. The problem is are they afraid he'll tell them it's none of their business, and to shut up?

In reality the only person these people should ask about bringing back 44 is the man who started the legend, and knew Ernie the best, Jim Brown. The problem is are they afraid he'll tell them it's none of their business, and to shut up?
But that's the thing - Jim has already given his seal of approval to Floyd Little (who, by the way, was part of the legend and also knew Ernie). The two living, legendary 44s are both on board.

So what's the problem?

But that's the thing - Jim has already given his seal of approval to Floyd Little (who, by the way, was part of the legend and also knew Ernie). The two living, legendary 44s are both on board.

So what's the problem?

uninformed, ignorant people with a microphone...

So what's the problem?

I spoke to the famous medium John Edward who conversed with the ghost of Ernie Davis. He assured me Ernie was totally in support of restoring 44. Also, he said he hated the new uniforms too, rolled over in his grave the first time he saw them.

Restore 44 was just a topic on Around The Horn.

Asked if you're with Jim Brown, Ernie Davis etc for giving it to players in special circumstances as determined by a committee or with McNabb and others who think it should remain in the rafters..

Everyone agreed it should be brought back.

So what's the problem?
That's the problem, reasonable people understand, it's the ignorant ones, who have no right to say anything who are making the fuss.

If the movie "The Express" is correct in this regard, it was actually Ben that started the 44 tradition when he gave that jersey number to Ernie. Tradition should hold that the coaching staff determine who, if anyone, should receive that number. While a committee sounds nice, and may be necessary in this PC world to sell the "unretirement", one would hope that a) the head coach is on the committee, and b) the coach's wishes carry a lot of weight.

I tend to think that people are hypercritical of SU and get on them about things that either aren't a huge deal or aren't entirely within their control. But I'm done defending these clowns. How the flying f%#* do you screw up an announcement about something that the vast majority of your fan base supports.

The utter incompetence of this athletic administration explains everything: why hoops is on probation, why grass roots fundraising sucks, why they antagonize the fans at every turn.

It's time to dump Otto and use a new mascot that best represents SU athletics...

040527_bozo_ccol.grid-4x2.jpg
OUCH!

When you right, you right! Still ouch...
image.jpg

OUCH!

When you right, you right! Still ouch...View attachment 43247
Adding more shame, Its coming from a school famous for its communication college in Newhouse.I have no respect for the top administrators at this school i.e. the university. Thats includes the chancellor and the trustees. They are in what seems and endless streak of F-ups going back to basketball and the NCAA Now we have something that is important and was received well by the fan base,which are the ones who and the summary was that they unanimously felt less apt to buy tickets for any sport at this time. unless the school comes out and says that this "clarification came out wrong,they have successfully pissed off your fanbase. How stupid are these individuals? I guess that was a rhetorical question.:vomit:

We will have a clarification of the clarification which will explain the need for the clarification and the need to release a statement that would, more likely than not, require additional clarification to be fully appreciated. In truth, we anticipated this reaction and, to make this crystal clear, we were hoping that this entire event would snowball into something that would eventually catch fire.

Head Held High

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom