OT: US News and World Report 2025 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT: US News and World Report 2025

This is not a good situation. Every year I dread scrolling farther down the list to find SU. I thought Kent Syverud was committed to fixing this: Kent Syverud speaks about improving Syracuse University's national rankings

SU is now starting to fall behind the big four SUNY universities...not a good situation. Is there anything the alumni can do?? Also time to lose the BS party school reputation.
I have to think Kent’s tenure as Chancellor is nearing the end.

Adding to the sentiment here. My daughter is a senior in high school and su is one of many giving her tons of attention (none because we reached out to them or because they have any clue she’s a legacy). At first it was hard to have to say “no fn way” and now we just laugh at it. Just makes zero sense for undergrad (absent the specialization at Newhouse, maybe).

If Syracuse removed the 2nd choice option wonder how different the stats would look. Kids not getting into Newhouse or Falk but getting into A and S counts as accepted, correct?
Ahhh yes. The old back door to Newhouse trick.

I have to think Kent’s tenure as Chancellor is nearing the end.
Georgetown Kent and Chancy Nancy have been horrible for SU. Can't imagine any scenario where we end up with someone worse.

have to wonder if a school that's this costly, while no longer being highly regarded, will begin to suffer financial hardship.

I would encourage anyone dismayed by this to write snail mail letters to Chancellor Syverud and Board of Trustees Chair Scruggs.

Ahhh yes. The old back door to Newhouse trick.
I think you needed a 3.8 or higher when I was a student to transfer into it. Very few easy basket weaving type classes as well I remember trying to find the easy credits and GPA boosts and unenrolling the same day after getting the syllabus.

Chat gpt says it has to do with social mobility and economic diversity

I think there are too many worthless majors that unfortunately rip off the groups of people that colleges most want to help.

Well, Miami has surpassed us and we're tied with SUNY Binghamton...

It's pretty dismal.

Well, Miami has surpassed us and we're tied with SUNY Binghamton...

It's pretty dismal.
Binghamton was 97th ten years ago, now 73rd
UB was 120th in 2010, now they're 76th

Come on. Forget SU. There is no way both big state schools got that much better. If one of them really did improve that much, it would come at the expense of the other

Doesn't it seem weird that a dozen cal state schools are all of a sudden great? Maybe a couple but not that many

Last edited:
If gaming the rankings costs you students who will pay the full price, public schools with lower tuition and more subsidies have less to lose playing the game where good but not great schools might face starker tradeoffs between extracting as much from people willing to pay vs pleasing us news.

Couple that with rankings changes that probably favor state schools to begin with (first generation component), you get schools like our's going down

Last edited:
I think you needed a 3.8 or higher when I was a student to transfer into it. Very few easy basket weaving type classes as well I remember trying to find the easy credits and GPA boosts and unenrolling the same day after getting the syllabus.
In my day you also had to have a high Newhouse GPA to transfer in, which I did. I didn't even know Newhouse existed when I applied. Although as a female from a small upstate town in NY in the early 1970s we weren't exactly geared towards a career when applying to college. I took a Newhouse course as an elective, fell in love with it, and transferred in. It still was not easy to get in.

In my day you also had to have a high Newhouse GPA to transfer in, which I did. I didn't even know Newhouse existed when I applied. Although as a female from a small upstate town in NY in the early 1970s we weren't exactly geared towards a career when applying to college. I took a Newhouse course as an elective, fell in love with it, and transferred in. It still was not easy to get in.
My lowest GPA was 1.5 :) My Undergrad final was like 3.8. Both masters 3.5 or higher.

My lowest GPA was 1.5 :) My Undergrad final was like 3.8. Both masters 3.5 or higher.
I bet bet the SUNY Oswego GPA went up when the got rid of the Bars at the infamous corner and put up a gas station and mcdonalds... but then the highschool gpa probably decreased.

I bet bet the SUNY Oswego GPA went up when the got rid of the Bars at the infamous corner and put up a gas station and mcdonalds... but then the highschool gpa probably decreased.

I got a 3.4 there in the early 90's with all the bars there and was in sig tau... play hard and study hard.

Don't forget the Shed and also make the short trip over to Barney's for $2 glass pitchers of Genny Light.
Oh hell yeah... and nothing like a good game of pool too whats worse is when the bus stopped operating and you had to walk all the way back to Seneca or Onondaga halls.. In the winter.

I am still dislexic, mind... Bucklands did close my sophmore year.
Yeah my second year didn't happen back after 1994... lol 30 years later, got 3 associates, a bachelors, and 2 masters. go figure... oh well I had dreams of having a physics degree from oswego and going to clarkson.

Northeastern was absolutely a safety school on par with Marist in the mid 90s.

I have friends who went to BC in the 90s and they all say they could never get in now.
I guess all of the people that went to school at Northeastern in the 90’s and prior are now significantly smarter than those that went to other (more prestigious) schools during the same time period. Isn’t that how rankings work???

Rankings are funny and really don’t matter at all. I originally attended a top 40 school. Didn’t love the quality of the education or program. Left, took several years off and finished my degree (in a completely different field from what I originally started) at a 120-150 ranked school. I felt the 120-150 ranked school gave me a superior education. Could have been my area of study, but regardless my education experience was excellent.

I work around Ivy educated and top 5 ranked MBA program graduates day in and day out, holding my own and often exceeding their performance. They’re extremely bright, polished executives. My BS from 120-150 ranked school hasn’t really put me at a disadvantage. Real world experience and things you learn outside of college are really what matters.

Additionally, my child is a high school senior going through the college application process. We aren’t focused on the rankings of the schools. We’re focused on the quality of the program he desires, as well as other factors. Some of the schools are way up on the rankings (top 20). Others are not (100+). We just want them to attend the college they feel most comfortable, best fit.

Basically, while the college rankings are fun to look at, they’re basically useless in real life. If they matter to you, you’ve probably have some insecurities.

Don't forget the Shed and also make the short trip over to Barney's for $2 glass pitchers of Genny Light.

The attached pizza shop to the shed - made those fried pizza balls...

Eat one sober and it tastes like barf... a couple pitchers in ya and they were michelin-star caliber.

I’m not sure that math adds up. 500 incoming students. So 125 had to be athletes? There aren’t that many spots on the school sports teams, unless every single kid quits playing after freshman year.

Or maybe this is why they pounded us in football every year.
hey now! One of my favorite williams hamilton stories was my senior year in 1984. We hadn't beaten them in like 70 years with all picking against us pregame. And then we smoked them good, think 14-3 at their place heading toward a historic good season after 25 previous dismal losing seasons. This is pre cell phone era.

My family being insane Cuse fans, my mother in the fourth quarter runs to their athletic center to use the phone and call home to see how Syracuse is doing/did vs. Nebraska.

We beat Williams for the first time in forever celebrating on their field, I see my mother coming running back joining us all including all our fans/family on the field. She tells me and yells to all of us that "Syracuse beat Nebraska!", and I swear to God I was more excited about that upset than our own historic upset! What a double great moment!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom