44 IS RESTORED | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

44 IS RESTORED

I've always felt Floyd Little has just as much say in this as Jim Brown, if not more. First, because 44 doesn't just represent on field performance. It's also about how you conduct yourself off the field, and Jim Brown hasn't exactly been a saint over the years. Floyd, meanwhile, is an upstanding citizen who has conducted himself in the best, classiest way possible. Honestly, I think Floyd represents what 44 has come to mean better than Jim. Jim was obviously the greater football player, but Floyd lived up to Ernie's standard (and I think we can all agree it's Ernie Davis who is the standard bearer for what 44 should mean) better than Jim Brown ever has.

So while I want Jim Brown on board, it doesn't stop and start with him. And honestly...again...people are missing the part where Jim Brown came right out and said "I told them whatever they wanted to do is OK with me."

You could argue that based on their SU careers only, the ranking of the three famous 44's would be:

1) Ernie Davis
2) Floyd Little
3) Jim Brown

And Jim didn't mind his number being given out to other guys until now.

Jeff Van Gundy in the middle of the NBA Finals just voiced his displeasure with SU un-retiring #44.

This has turned into a PR nightmare at this point. Nobody outside of Syracuse understands "intent" of what was done which is why it might be time to reverse course, just retire the number forever and move on. Act like the last month didn't happen

Stern said:
Jeff Van Gundy in the middle of the NBA Finals just voiced his displeasure with SU un-retiring #44. This has turned into a PR nightmare at this point. Nobody outside of Syracuse understands "intent" of what was done which is why it might be time to reverse course, just retire the number forever and move on. Act like the last month didn't happen

It's all good publicity.

Millhouse said:
if great basketball analysts have something to say about us undoing a really dumb mistake, so be it. i refuse to worry about it.

I hope they at least bought a ticket to the USF game.

NBA Finals and they're talking about SU football. Sala and the gang should take a bow.

Chip said:
I hope they at least bought a ticket to the USF game. NBA Finals and they're talking about SU football. Sala and the gang should take a bow.

Yep. Everyone nows that the guy LeBron bowed to went to Syracuse. Win!

Jeff Van Gundy in the middle of the NBA Finals just voiced his displeasure with SU un-retiring #44.

This has turned into a PR nightmare at this point. Nobody outside of Syracuse understands "intent" of what was done which is why it might be time to reverse course, just retire the number forever and move on. Act like the last month didn't happen

I'd rather pretend 2005 didn't happen.

The upside is, people will know Robert Washington, and will follow his progress.

Of course we should reverse the decision. I think it's important for any AD to consider the opinions of basketball analysts, Bud and Brent over Floyd Little and the majority of the fan base. In fact, I think it's an important quality for the new AD to not have any backbone whatsoever to make tough decisions in the face of any criticism...

Jim Brown is lucky his opinion even matters still. If I was the university i'd delicately distance myself from him and his behavior over the years. He's Ray Rice without an elevator.

if great basketball analysts have something to say about us undoing a really dumb mistake, so be it. i refuse to worry about it.
Yep. Who cares what some talking FatHead says about it? I don't even know who that schmoe is.

It's utterly irrelevant. It's a throwaway comment that the vast majority of the audience has zero clue about.

I usually agree with you Scooch but the overall theme that surrounds Syracuse football is still "once great football school, now mediocre at best, irrelevant at worst". The theme certainly is bolstered when we have national talking heads saying we can't even get a retired number situation correct.

It's going to take winning to make all this moot but the school, IMO, is stuck in a news cycle that vacillates btw bad and comical.

Maybe that was JVGs way of letting Syracuse know he's watching and is ready to come home to cny/wny and take the reigns from JB

It's utterly irrelevant. It's a throwaway comment that the vast majority of the audience has zero clue about.
Disagree. And its going to keep getting more attention and this will snowball and the story will only get bigger and the more negative press around it will only grow. Get ready come September this "44 issue" is going to be brought up in every SU game and discussed and debated at length during every broadcast. This is the story that won't go away until SU does something to make it go away. Which at this point is just retire the number forever and for good.

Stern said:
Disagree. And its going to keep getting more attention and this will snowball and the story will only get bigger and the more negative press around it will only grow. Get ready come September this "44 issue" is going to be brought up in every SU game and discussed and debated at length during every broadcast. This is the story that won't go away until SU does something to make it go away. Which at this point is just retire the number forever and for good.

It's restored.

Deal with it.

I usually agree with you Scooch but the overall theme that surrounds Syracuse football is still "once great football school, now mediocre at best, irrelevant at worst". The theme certainly is bolstered when we have national talking heads saying we can't even get a retired number situation correct.

It's going to take winning to make all this moot but the school, IMO, is stuck in a news cycle that vacillates btw bad and comical.

Eh, honestly because we're so hyperfocused on all things SU we have rabbit ears for this stuff. I'm pretty confident that if you surveyed everyone who heard JVG's comment last night a gigantic % don't even remember it.

I agree that SU is in a bad cycle, but most of that is because of the hoops probation. The #44 thing was a ridiculously unforced error, but it's really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, IMHO.

I agree that SU needs to do something before the Fall or else it will be discussed every week. Personally, I think it should be active and you could simply have a new jersey retirement ceremony for Brown, Davis, Little.

So what? Do you really think this is some massive black mark on the SU brand?

Nah..if they retire it again (1) they really look like dopes and it becomes a bigger story(2) they rile up much of the fanbase ... again (3) they mothball the number again so it becomes irrelevant to all but old folks...then it disappears.

Just take some jerseys with the names Brown, Little, Davis on them , hoist them up at the dome for all to see and keep the number alive both on and off the field.

PR Nightmare? Noone outside of Syracuse and sports media types think it's a nightmare. Noone outside of Syracuse and sports media types even has any idea what "Restore 44" is and will probably think it's cool when they find out during a broadcast or SportsCenter mention.

Full_Rebar said:
I agree that SU needs to do something before the Fall or else it will be discussed every week. Personally, I think it should be active and you could simply have a new jersey retirement ceremony for Brown, Davis, Little.

They need the new AD to make some statements on it and clarify everything. I don't think the actual news is that divisive. The lack of clarity/voice/leadership is what's giving the story legs.

They need the new AD to make some statements on it and clarify everything. I don't think the actual news is that divisive. The lack of clarity/voice/leadership is what's giving the story legs.

Exactly - just something like they take the honor and history of 44 very seriously and will only give it out under the right circumstances to preserve the prestige.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom