#44 | Syracusefan.com

DonLightfoot

All Conference
I see that this jersey number is being honoured and retired in recognition of John Wallace. Maybe this was already done previously, I'm not sure. John certainly is well deserving of this honour. I would have figured this was done long ago for Derek Coleman. In any event, they both deserved it :):)

I see that this jersey number is being honoured and retired in recognition of John Wallace. Maybe this was already done previously, I'm not sure. John certainly is well deserving of this honour. I would have figured this was done long ago for Derek Coleman. In any event, they both deserved it :):)
That was in 2020. And the number was not retired, we just honor the jerseys. Coleman was in 2006.

Would be cool if Freeman wanted the number.

He'd have to fight Lampkin for it.

dm_240320_Lampkin_Jr.jpg

It’s strange how although SU honors the jerseys and technically doesn’t retire numbers, nobody has worn 15 since Melo, only one player has worn 31 since Pearl, only five players have worn 22 since Bing, etc.

It’s strange how although SU honors the jerseys and technically doesn’t retire numbers, nobody has worn 15 since Melo, only one player has worn 31 since Pearl, only five players have worn 22 since Bing, etc.

Yet #1, 3, 4, 20, 21, and 55 have been active.

There was a very limited number of numbers before but I think now they can wear numbers > 5, yes? If so we’ve got a whole lot of new history to make re jersey numbers.

I don’t think many players want the pressure of wearing the same number as Pearl, Melo or Bing for good reason.

However it would be great to have another 15 soon…

Am I wrong to say that more Cuse basketball fans can name Derrick Coleman's number than any other player's number, if they have been fans since '87? If there is a number for the Orange, it's 44. Jim Brown pointed it in this direction. Its the biggest number.

Lampkin said he's wearing 44 next year. I have to think he was speaking out of turn.

That would be gross.
Not only is he not a 44-level talent if we're keeping up our tradition (and I'm excited for him, but it would be weird if he's the first 44 here in almost 30 years, especially when Red is all about tradition, and when he's a one-year rental), but it would put wayyyyyy too much pressure on him and I think he would regret it. There would be a portion of the fanbase who would dump on him if he's anything short of a generational talent. IMHO it's not in his best interest.

Not only is he not a 44-level talent if we're keeping up our tradition (and I'm excited for him, but it would be weird if he's the first 44 here in almost 30 years, especially when Red is all about tradition, and when he's a one-year rental), but it would put wayyyyyy too much pressure on him and I think he would regret it. There would be a portion of the fanbase who would dump on him if he's anything short of a generational talent. IMHO it's not in his best interest.
If it motivated him to be a beast - I’d love it though!

Do we honor the Jersey because it looked so good on a particular player? Like 44 looked really good on DC, having nothing to do with what he may or may not have done while wearing it?

Ok, better question is there an online database that lists the uniform number that players wore each season they were on the Hill??

Do we honor the Jersey because it looked so good on a particular player? Like 44 looked really good on DC, having nothing to do with what he may or may not have done while wearing it?

Ok, better question is there an online database that lists the uniform number that players wore each season they were on the Hill??

Media Guide, starting at page #152.

Good thing 44 isn’t really a basketball thing. I’ll never understand peoples obsession with gatekeeping our one and only (slowly dying) tradition.

Makes you wonder why some numbers are apparently very unpopular...I mean I could understand if no one had wanted to wear 13 (which actually has been worn by a fair number of guys), but why has virtually no one worn 26, 27 and/or 28?
Until recently digits above 5 were not permissible in college ball so that referees could signal the player a foul was on by holding up fingers on one hand. It had been that way for over 50 years I believe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom