5-7 Bowl Teams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

5-7 Bowl Teams

I know times change and money talks, but I liked when there were about 20 bowl games (which made it an actual accomplishment) and they didn't have stupid names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996–97_NCAA_football_bowl_games

Weren't the bowls supposed to go away when we expanded to 4? or was that the BCS?

The bowls have proven to like tardigrades: they can survive anything. it doesn't have to make any sense. Heck, it never made any sense for most of them to exist anyway.

Nope, a 4 team playoff that used the bowls wasn't the end of the bowls. A 12 team playoff will though as that will replace a lot of the bowls. With a 12 team playoff, some/most of the playoff games will have to be played "on campus" and not be tied into bowl games as you can't expect fans to travel to 3 sites or so and "follow their team."

And the corporate money that goes to fund these bowls will pull out and get more for their advertising dollar by buying add time during that Round 1 (example) Michigan-Pitt game than if they ran the Duke's May Bowl played at 11am on a Thursday.

There aren't enough 6-6 teams to play in all the bowls now. Remove 8 of those teams and insert them in a playoff that isn't tied to a bowl and bowl games will start dropping like fly's. Then, when the big money sponsors realize their bowl game is getting no attention at all (less than they currently do) and truly getting 2nd tier teams as the big boys are all in the playoff because the playoff dwarfs everything, they will just close shop.

Follow the money. These smaller bowl games are going to die overnight.

Isn't that's what on the stickers in the used car windshields?
No it’s how much interest you pay on your credit cards.
I know times change and money talks, but I liked when there were about 20 bowl games (which made it an actual accomplishment) and they didn't have stupid names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996–97_NCAA_football_bowl_games
The annual “There are too many bowls argument”. If SU somehow manages to get the 6th win , coming off 1-10 , it’s a nice accomplishment and reward . Nobody forces you to watch 6-6 teams playing in the “John’s ear wax removal bowl”. So why is it bad.

Nope, a 4 team playoff that used the bowls wasn't the end of the bowls. A 12 team playoff will though as that will replace a lot of the bowls. With a 12 team playoff, some/most of the playoff games will have to be played "on campus" and not be tied into bowl games as you can't expect fans to travel to 3 sites or so and "follow their team."

And the corporate money that goes to fund these bowls will pull out and get more for their advertising dollar by buying add time during that Round 1 (example) Michigan-Pitt game than if they ran the Duke's May Bowl played at 11am on a Thursday.

There aren't enough 6-6 teams to play in all the bowls now. Remove 8 of those teams and insert them in a playoff that isn't tied to a bowl and bowl games will start dropping like fly's. Then, when the big money sponsors realize their bowl game is getting no attention at all (less than they currently do) and truly getting 2nd tier teams as the big boys are all in the playoff because the playoff dwarfs everything, they will just close shop.

Follow the money. These smaller bowl games are going to die overnight.

Hold the early rounds of the playoff in December and they won't be in competition with the bowls. If you have the semis in a bowl and the title game afterward, it's the identical situation we have now.

Hold the early rounds of the playoff in December and they won't be in competition with the bowls. If you have the semis in a bowl and the title game afterward, it's the identical situation we have now.
So you want a team to play in the playoff in early December, and if they lose THEN go to a Bowl Game? Yeah that ain't happening.

I'd prefer to make it at 6-6. But I sure wouldn't turn it down if an invite came at 5-7. It stinks to have so many schools playing in bowls with no SU to watch.

(This is assuming we'd show up and play better in a bowl than we did this past Saturday)

What does APR stand for? Sorry I don’t know what it means, is it similar to SOS?

It's short for April...you know when the winds of change are upon us and hope springs eternal. It's what we as diehards here do...wash, rinse & repeat. ;):)

5 - 7 teams should not go to a bowl game period!

So you would pass up

1 - The experience fore the players, especially the outgoing seniors

2 - Additional practice time for additional development

3 - A couple extra million dollars for the conference and ultimately additional monies for Syracuse athletics.

Isn’t playing in a bowl game better than sitting at home?

So you would pass up

3 - A couple extra million dollars for the conference and ultimately additional monies for Syracuse athletics.

You raise some good points but it’s the principal of the matter; going to a bowl with a losing record further diminishes the accomplishment of the bowl game itself.

So you would pass up

Mike didn’t say he would pass it up. He said that 5-7 teams shouldn’t be in bowls. Big difference.

So you would pass up

If it was offered to us, we should obviously take it. It would be foolish not to. But from a big-picture perspective, it just seems bad for the sport and degrades the accomplishment of making a bowl game.

It's basically the same reason I think expanding the NCAA tournament field is stupid.

If it was offered to us, we should obviously take it. It would be foolish not to. But from a big-picture perspective, it just seems bad for the sport and degrades the accomplishment of making a bowl game.

It's basically the same reason I think expanding the NCAA tournament field is stupid.
Out of curiosity, If you were a good program from the group of 5, would you think expanding the field is stupid, say Cinncinatti who could still go undefeated and not make the playoff ( although this year I think there will be enough losses going around that they might make it )

Too many bowls, not enough winning teams. It’s not like when there wasn’t many bowl games
Back then, there was a lot of griping and controversy when a team who many fans thought deserved a bowl bid didn't receive an invitation. Today, if you don't make a bowl, you probably aren't worthy. I think the prestige associated with the various bowls is fairly obvious.

Out of curiosity, If you were a good program from the group of 5, would you think expanding the field is stupid, say Cinncinatti who could still go undefeated and not make the playoff ( although this year I think there will be enough losses going around that they might make it )
I think the sweet spot for the playoff is 8 teams. Any more than that would water down the best regular season in all of sports.

Would we make money if we played? Someone in the thread mentioned a pay out, don't schools often lose money when they can't sell their tickets?

It appears that 1-3 bowl slots may open for 5-7 teams this season. College Football News referenced us a possibility as one of those teams with a high GSR. It’ll depend on the bubble teams upcoming performances. If a team or two sit out bowl season due to coaching change (VTech) or Covid then we probably see a bowl game regardless. CBS Jerry Palm projects 3 teams at 5-7 include Missouri who is behind us in GSR lol.
Turn Up Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

You raise some good points but it’s the principal of the matter; going to a bowl with a losing record further diminishes the accomplishment of the bowl game itself.

Only if bowl games were like they were decades ago, an accomplishment for a good season. They aren’t about that anymore, they’re just a way for people to make $. So we might as well cash in on some of that too.

In principle I agree with you. I hate the idea of a bowl game at 5-7. But two teams are going to play in a bowl game and it might as well be us if there’s a chance.

So did we figure out if it’s gsr? If we in mix must have decent score I think

So you want a team to play in the playoff in early December, and if they lose THEN go to a Bowl Game? Yeah that ain't happening.

Why not?

5 - 7 teams should not go to a bowl game period!

Once the playoff is expanded and 90% of the Bowl Games go away this stuff won't happen anymore. No 5-7 team should go to a Bowl. But if SU can go to one at 5-7 this year, hell yeah let's go!
nce the power 4 or 5 break away from ncaa there will be bowls for everybody regardless of record

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom