5-7 Bowl Teams | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

5-7 Bowl Teams

For those that would rather go back to a smaller number of bowls, there have been 4 times since 1990 where a Syracuse team with at least 6 wins didn't go to a bowl, one of those teams in 1994 was 7-4. We had the tough loss to OU to start the season where we had a slow start, stormed back and should have won but found a way to lose.

We finished the season 1-3, had blowout losses to Miami (6-27) and BC (0-31) and was told by some lower tier bowl just look exciting against WVU, you don't even have to win and we'll take you. P & D ran the same predictable plays and we were shutout 13-0, didn't try anything different and the bowl, decided to pass on us. We had a decent QB (Kevin Mason) who showed what he could do against OU when we opened up the offense, decent running backs and wide receivers that I think we would take today with a guy named Harrison.

So if some want to limit the number of bowls, even when we did win 6 or 7 sometimes we didn't go, so we better get much better if we want to guarantee a bowl bid if they start to limit the number of bowls, not that I think they will but who knows. Be careful what you wish for. I'd take any bowl at this point.

Why not?
Because you can't get kids now to play in bowl games where more and more sit out each year to focus on their "Draft Status". Good luck getting kids that have just been eliminated from the playoff to want to play another game that is totally meaningless.

Not to mention what fans from these schools will travel to a neutral site bowl game after watching their school's hopes for a championship just end a week or two earlier. Especially if their team just had a road game in Rd 1 of the playoff and a chunk of their fans just traveled to watch that. Now you expect those fans to travel again for a meaningless bowl game?

It makes zero sense on any level. And from a TV draw people just watched Michigan lose in Rd 1 of the playoff, now let's try to get people to watch Michigan vs Baylor in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl.

Come on, this would be the worst idea ever.

We finished the season 1-3, had blowout losses to Miami (6-27) and BC (0-31) and was told by some lower tier bowl just look exciting against WVU, you don't even have to win and we'll take you. P & D ran the same predictable plays and we were shutout 13-0, didn't try anything different and the bowl, decided to pass on us. We had a decent QB (Kevin Mason) who showed what he could do against OU when we opened up the offense, decent running backs and wide receivers that I think we would take today with a guy named Harrison.
Without google assistance I seem to remember that shutout by the 'neers was played on Thanksgiving night at their place.

I think the sweet spot for the playoff is 8 teams. Any more than that would water down the best regular season in all of sports.
In my opinion, the best regular season in all of sports is college basketball - but maybe that's just me.

Mike didn’t say he would pass it up. He said that 5-7 teams shouldn’t be in bowls. Big difference.

You're right. What he said was stronger than that. "period!" Which I interpret as he would pass up the opportunity to play in a bowl game as a 5-7 team.

5 - 7 teams should not go to a bowl game period!

For the record, I would prefer we go to a bowl game with a winning record of 7-5. On principle alone, 6-6 isn't a winning record.

We have dozens of players on this team who have been busting their butts, some since June. If some bowl organizers need a team to play in a game where sponsors have already committed hundreds of thousands of dollars to and they choose our team, then great. I would love it our players get the chance to play in any bowl game. No future invitations are guaranteed.

No it’s how much interest you pay on your credit cards.

The annual “There are too many bowls argument”. If SU somehow manages to get the 6th win , coming off 1-10 , it’s a nice accomplishment and reward . Nobody forces you to watch 6-6 teams playing in the “John’s ear wax removal bowl”. So why is it bad.
I'd go for John's ear wax removal bowl over that damn mayo bowl every day.

In my opinion, the best regular season in all of sports is college basketball - but maybe that's just me.
I think it’s the worst but they have the post season right I guess… 19-14 teams playing for the national title tho eh

I think the sweet spot for the playoff is 8 teams. Any more than that would water down the best regular season in all of sports.
8 is the number. 5 spots to the Power-5 conference champions. No more than 2 (or 3) spots per conference. No automatic bid for for non-Power-5 teams... they need to earn it. Cincy would likely make it this year.

Because you can't get kids now to play in bowl games where more and more sit out each year to focus on their "Draft Status". Good luck getting kids that have just been eliminated from the playoff to want to play another game that is totally meaningless.

Not to mention what fans from these schools will travel to a neutral site bowl game after watching their school's hopes for a championship just end a week or two earlier. Especially if their team just had a road game in Rd 1 of the playoff and a chunk of their fans just traveled to watch that. Now you expect those fans to travel again for a meaningless bowl game?

It makes zero sense on any level. And from a TV draw people just watched Michigan lose in Rd 1 of the playoff, now let's try to get people to watch Michigan vs Baylor in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl.

Come on, this would be the worst idea ever.

It would be what it is now: a chance to end the season on a winning note, most of a month after that loss. Not much different than losing a conference title game and then going to a bowl.

And if kids are sitting out bowl games already, it suggests that they aren't very important any more as it is. They shouldn't get in the way of something more meaningful. The phenomenon of having 40 bowl games is a very recent thing. College football got along just fine for years with 10-12 of them. Maintaining the 40 is not a critical thing for the sport.

It would be what it is now: a chance to end the season on a winning note, most of a month after that loss. Not much different than losing a conference title game and then going to a bowl.

And if kids are sitting out bowl games already, it suggests that they aren't very important any more as it is. They shouldn't get in the way of something more meaningful. The phenomenon of having 40 bowl games is a very recent thing. College football got along just fine for years with 10-12 of them. Maintaining the 40 is not a critical thing for the sport.
There is 0.0% chance a team plays in BOTH a playoff ...losses...then goes to a bowl game.

It's like after the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament all of the losing teams then go play in the NIT

Honestly, I don’t want us getting a bowl with a losing record. There is not a bowl out there that I wouldn’t be happy to be a part of, but not with a losing record.
It’s extra practices for us and extra money for the conference, don’t be daft.

Lol i hate to break it to you "it hurts the game", "we shouldn't go if we're 5-7" type crowd ... but no one cares, other than the fanbases, about what bowl you make (outside the big bowls)

Remember who won the camping world bowl in 2019? Me either. Had to look it up. Like you would with most bowls after the games are over lol.

It's fun. Let the kids play - let the team get the practices - let the fans get one more tailgate/experience for the season and ride off to basketball season

There is 0.0% chance a team plays in BOTH a playoff ...losses...then goes to a bowl game.

It's like after the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament all of the losing teams then go play in the NIT

Maybe they should. There used to be teams that played in both the NIT and the NCAAs. CCNY won them both in 1950.

Lol i hate to break it to you "it hurts the game", "we shouldn't go if we're 5-7" type crowd ... but no one cares, other than the fanbases, about what bowl you make (outside the big bowls)

Remember who won the camping world bowl in 2019? Me either. Had to look it up. Like you would with most bowls after the games are over lol.

It's fun. Let the kids play - let the team get the practices - let the fans get one more tailgate/experience for the season and ride off to basketball season
The fanbase matters.

Not saying it doesn't. Just hilarious to me that our own fanbase would be against a bowl because we were 5-7 vs 6-6? Silly.
Silly, daft etc.

Those of you on the “give me a bowl at all cost side” sure are salty today.

Going to a bowl game with a 5 - 7 record is like a participation trophy they are handing out these days. Bowls should be for teams with winning records or at a minimum, 6 - 6. Dino needs to get a win here or I am all for him getting canned especially if we get blown out like at Louisville.

Teams are not going to opt out due to a coaching change if eligible, especially P5 or the better G5 programs. COVID likely won't cause them either as most teams are vaccinated and I'm pretty sure the PAC12 is the only conference to have any COVID issues.

I'd assume even with COVID issues a team would go play a bowl with a depleted roster as they can still get plenty out of it. I'd be shocked if any teams skipped the bowl but if spots are open for 5-7 by all means we should take it if offered.

Out of curiosity, If you were a good program from the group of 5, would you think expanding the field is stupid, say Cinncinatti who could still go undefeated and not make the playoff ( although this year I think there will be enough losses going around that they might make it )
If you are in the G5 and think you have a shot at the Playoff that would mean you think you are a top 4 teams and at a minimum a top contender with the potential to be top 4.

Then they should go and schedule like it and stop playing cupcake games all season, Cincy will have one legit win which is over ND. Indiana is awful, they took two OOC easy buy games and they won't play one ranked conference team. If your G5 and want to make it then they should schedule the OOC like it.

If you are a top 10 team playing in the American most of those games should be akin to buy game OOC for everyone else IMO.

There’s not a negative to getting a little more $$$ and 20 extra practices.
Especially if you can use that money to pay off part of a losing coach's buyout, I'll show myself the door... :)

If you are in the G5 and think you have a shot at the Playoff that would mean you think you are a top 4 teams and at a minimum a top contender with the potential to be top 4.

Then they should go and schedule like it and stop playing cupcake games all season, Cincy will have one legit win which is over ND. Indiana is awful, they took two OOC easy buy games and they won't play one ranked conference team. If your G5 and want to make it then they should schedule the OOC like it.

If you are a top 10 team playing in the American most of those games should be akin to buy game OOC for everyone else IMO.
My understanding is Cincinnati has tried to schedule OOC games with top P5 programs. Most want no part of them. They were lucky to get ND this year. Indiana was supposed to be good , they were not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom