5 ACC losses by 14 points | Syracusefan.com

5 ACC losses by 14 points

we can still do this.
I'm with you, blue. Too many seasons I said aw, shucks, that's it - it's over. Too many times (especially recent times), I was wrong! Not saying it's looking good, but it is not over for me until we have 0% chance of winning the tournament. To me, any team that can win their conference tourney or just go on an insane run still has a shot. We don't yet have a 0% shot. As a fan, I try to root and believe until the season is officially over. But I certainly get why people say it's over over.
1581816775145.png

3-5 in games this year decided by less than 5 points. That’s the season folks.
the season is losing (getting blown out) to Iowa, Penn St, Oklahoma ST, & Georgetown out of conference. The ACC literally has 1 - 2 quality out of conference wins. I think during today's game they Lunardi had us at 83 in his bracket for what that is worth. We are not even sniffing the bracket.

the super-safe slow down conservative approach at the end of games does not enhance winning %...

since there is such a strong pattern of SU with big leads in games they have allowed to get whittled away and then lose, I think it is because of the strategy...

keep the same mentality that got you the lead for 40 minutes...

instead of trying to "protect" ...jus keep playing

i think the "protect mode" works against certain teams especially those of recent vintage...and turns comofrtable wins into nailbiters unneccesarily...and wins into losses as well (this year especailly)...just because JB and SU usually get away with it doesnt mean it is the best strategy.

the "protect mode" could work with a vet point gaurd and veteran grown men a la the 80s but now these players aren´t ready for such mindgames and in the end it works against them...imo...

they need to just play aggressive and DOMINANT at all times and the results will be better

dont ask wolves to wear sheep´s clothing, imo.

*also I hate the ISO at the end of games...if passing the ball etc works to get the lead...Keep doing it!

*also I hate the ISO at the end of games...if passing the ball etc works to get the lead...Keep doing it!

I tend to hate ISO at the end of games, but Boeheim's winning percentage in close games is insane.

But this year, when you have ONE guy that *might* be able to do something one-on-one, I tend to agree with you. And Hughes has not risen to the challenge in this regard (but not his fault).

the super-safe slow down conservative approach at the end of games does not enhance winning %...

since there is such a strong pattern of SU with big leads in games they have allowed to get whittled away and then lose, I think it is because of the strategy...
just because JB and SU usually get away with it doesnt mean it is the best strategy..

I'm just curious. Do you even realize that your second quote completely contradicts your first quote?

You should also read the other threads devoted to this topic. This is a large sample size of data that shows that JB is one of the best ever at winning close games.

You've got no shot at being right on this. The data tells a completely different story.

We don't yet have a 0% shot. As a fan, I try to root and believe until the season is officially over. But I certainly get why people say it's over over.

College basketball is the most forgiving sport in America. You can go winless the entire regular season and you're still only one 96 hour magical run from reaching the post-season. That is simultaneously something I love and hate about the sport.

I'm just curious. Do you even realize that your second quote completely contradicts your first quote?

You should also read the other threads devoted to this topic. This is a large sample size of data that shows that JB is one of the best ever at winning close games.

You've got no shot at being right on this. The data tells a completely different story.
The data historically has been pretty positive for the strategy. I’d have to imagine this year these games are playing out a bit differently than what the expected %s have been in the past (in terms of winning).

Take away the Louie and Bouie era, this was what Syracuse basketball was like from the mid-60's to the early 80's. teams lacking size, playing zone but not great at it, scrappy teams that shot the ball well and had little spurts of winning streaks and the occasional upset. Lots of close games and dramatic moments. But we weren't an elite program full of talent, size and depth.

1582044539941.png

The data historically has been pretty positive for the strategy. I’d have to imagine this year these games are playing out a bit differently than what the expected %s have been in the past (in terms of winning).

We just haven't been good in close games this year. 3-5 at 5 points or less. 6 ACC losses by a combined 21 points. We are a good FT shooting team, but we have missed a lot of critical front ends at the wrong time and as good as he has been Eli short armed a layup against ND at home and at FSU. We also struggle getting stops so this escalates the importance of us executing down the stretch which too often has to happen at the end of the shot clock which leads to difficult shot attempts.

Most seasons, our defense isn't a turnstile down the stretch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom