5 things to know before Syracuse football opens spring practice | Syracusefan.com

5 things to know before Syracuse football opens spring practice

Two tidbits in that article that had me excited.

Carl Jones ran a 4.29 (40) - dang
K. Ruff is up to 303lbs and ran a 4.77 (40) - That's a fast big guy. Crazy that he came in as a LB.

Tks RandomGuy, I edited this post. Could swear that was Riley. Didn't realize Jones was that fast.

Last edited:
Carl jones- 4.29. No public time for Riley.

They did say that several of the faster guys (RB's mentioned specifically) had "false start" issues w/ prematurely tripping the start timer by moving their hand or whatever.

As as we all know - "premature anything is bad".
-James Arthur Boeheim

Carl jones- 4.29. No public time for Riley.
That's his 40 time??? 4.29! WOW!!! Where did that come from Mr. Carl Jones and then RUFF He is a monster! I got to be honest there really might not be a huge drop off at all between him and Slayton! So think about that, we might have two NFL guys coming from defensive tackle 2 years in a row! That is the Heights that Syracuse football is reaching now it's so exciting! I mean the off season weight progress and all this positive things im seeing and hearing I think 10-3 season was just the tip of the ice berg and the ORANGE BOWL is a huge possibility to me.
I am so looking forward to that spring game as well. I'll be there for damn sure and I wonder what the attendance will be. Should be a record

That's his 40 time??? 4.29! WOW!!! Where did that come from Mr. Carl Jones and then RUFF He is a monster! I got to be honest there really might not be a huge drop off at all between him and Slayton! So think about that, we might have two NFL guys coming from defensive tackle 2 years in a row! That is the Heights that Syracuse football is reaching now it's so exciting! I mean the off season weight progress and all this positive things im seeing and hearing I think 10-3 season was just the tip of the ice berg and the ORANGE BOWL is a huge possibility to me.
I am so looking forward to that spring game as well. I'll be there for damn sure and I wonder what the attendance will be. Should be a record
That is really exciting cause he is a very twitchy kid. 4.77 is crazy for a kid at 303. I am extatic about this defense this year and if Ward can be a bit more aggressive then we can be outstanding compared to last 4 years. Also think Coleman and Robinson make huge strides this year and end up being all Americans and if they don’t it’s a travesty.

Hypothetically, if Dino can reach the Orange bowl next year... why ever leave? That would mean he could compete with the big boys, at freaking Syracuse. Man, win here, legend forever.
Heroes are remembered, but legends never die.

(I’m sure I’m the 8th person to say that quote in this thread, but I can’t not.)

I'm optimistic for the future too and am excited to see what Ruff can do in a bigger role, but it is a massive undervaluing of Slayton's contributions to say you think there is a not a huge drop off from Slayton to Ruff - especially when it is based on an (admittedly very impressive) 40 time. On the list of DT attributes that point to success, 40 time is not at or near the top of the list.

I'm optimistic for the future too and am excited to see what Ruff can do in a bigger role, but it is a massive undervaluing of Slayton's contributions to say you think there is a not a huge drop off from Slayton to Ruff - especially when it is based on an (admittedly very impressive) 40 time. On the list of DT attributes that point to success, 40 time is not at or near the top of the list.
I could of explained that better. Wasnt undervaluing slayton's importantance and what a great player he's been for us there for a long time. It's just when I look at RUFF I see alot of the same qualities slayton had: VERY strong ,a physical monster and add the speed to that and thats why I said hopefully there won't be too muchs of a drop off at all. But of course have the up most respect for slayton

Last edited:
That is really exciting cause he is a very twitchy kid. 4.77 is crazy for a kid at 303. I am extatic about this defense this year and if Ward can be a bit more aggressive then we can be outstanding compared to last 4 years. Also think Coleman and Robinson make huge strides this year and end up being all Americans and if they don’t it’s a travesty.
yes definitely. Our defensive line could be scary good this year, maybe the best we've had in a very long time including the rotating guys as well

yes definitely. Our defensive line could be scary good this year, maybe the best we've had in a very long time including the rotating guys as well

This.

We are going to shred us some acc offenses!

U got that right bud.
OPPOSING TEAMS WILL ONCE AGAIN FEAR COMIN
TO PLAY THE CUSE

I kept trying to click that crazy long hyperlink you posted, but for some reason it isn’t working.

Love the enthusiasm, but if we have 2 AA's at DE, that means there are only 4 others in the country who get on the AA teams, assuming you are talking 1st, 2nd or 3rd team. I can see Alton getting there, but to have 1/3 of the top DE's in the country seems a little aggressive. I will say this - I hope you're right!!

Love the enthusiasm, but if we have 2 AA's at DE, that means there are only 4 others in the country who get on the AA teams, assuming you are talking 1st, 2nd or 3rd team. I can see Alton getting there, but to have 1/3 of the top DE's in the country seems a little aggressive. I will say this - I hope you're right!!
I feel they are right there where they need to be and with a touch more speed and strength they can get there and Stanard is a good ends coach. Also depends on aggressiveness of Ward also so we will see. Also I am always a little too enthusiastic and sometimes too upbeat but I love where we are at now so go orange.

I feel they are right there where they need to be and with a touch more speed and strength they can get there and Stanard is a good ends coach. Also depends on aggressiveness of Ward also so we will see. Also I am always a little too enthusiastic and sometimes too upbeat but I love where we are at now so go orange.

I prefer upbeat & positive, especially during the off-season. Should be good things to come this year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom