5 things to know before Syracuse football opens spring practice | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

5 things to know before Syracuse football opens spring practice

Longest.offseason.ever,
Actually I’ll take it one step further... longest off season ever for Shy. He has some bills he has to get paid because of all this and needed to get a job. He doesn’t have a car so his choices were fairly limited to were he could work. He has been doing his school work and working out but pretty much just hanging in his room the rest of the time. Well this week I told him he was starting work with me. I am a mechanic on excavators and 18 wheelers and all kinds of heavy equipment. He has to ride with me so his work schedule is the same as mine so he is now working 10 hrs+ a day. He obviously can’t repair stuff so he is working with the laborers cleaning the grease and dirt and repainting machines we fix. It is honestly one of the worst jobs you can imagine. It’s dirty, cold and standing for 10 hrs a day. He is so tired after it and having to get up at 4 am for workouts starts next week to go with it. Tuesday after his first day I told him I hope if any thing comes out of this crappy job it’s that he works harder at school and drives him harder to play football for a living. He is making decent money but nothing compared to if he plays football in any of the leagues. I told him it kills me to see him working this job and he needs to take this and drive him harder than ever before next season to play out of his mind. He says it is. Between school work and workouts he is pretty tired but he is fighting thru it and just wants to get back with his team and coaches.

Actually I’ll take it one step further... longest off season ever for Shy. He has some bills he has to get paid because of all this and needed to get a job. He doesn’t have a car so his choices were fairly limited to were he could work. He has been doing his school work and working out but pretty much just hanging in his room the rest of the time. Well this week I told him he was starting work with me. I am a mechanic on excavators and 18 wheelers and all kinds of heavy equipment. He has to ride with me so his work schedule is the same as mine so he is now working 10 hrs+ a day. He obviously can’t repair stuff so he is working with the laborers cleaning the grease and dirt and repainting machines we fix. It is honestly one of the worst jobs you can imagine. It’s dirty, cold and standing for 10 hrs a day. He is so tired after it and having to get up at 4 am for workouts starts next week to go with it. Tuesday after his first day I told him I hope if any thing comes out of this crappy job it’s that he works harder at school and drives him harder to play football for a living. He is making decent money but nothing compared to if he plays football in any of the leagues. I told him it kills me to see him working this job and he needs to take this and drive him harder than ever before next season to play out of his mind. He says it is. Between school work and workouts he is pretty tired but he is fighting thru it and just wants to get back with his team and coaches.
Ofcourse not ideal, but as I’m sure you know Bam, can be an extremely valuable lesson. Good on you for showing him that, you’re a good dad Bam.

In the long run, that lesson will serve him better than football. Good luck to him.

Builds character. ;)

Have u jacked his calories up to compensate for extra work. A kid like him probably had to eat every 2.5 hrs so there’s another hour of meal prep. As hard as it is for him I know or can imagine how u feel. It will make him a better man. What more motivation can u have. Tell him we are proud of him and when it’s all done he will appreciate the fight as much as the reward.

Have u jacked his calories up to compensate for extra work. A kid like him probably had to eat every 2.5 hrs so there’s another hour of meal prep. As hard as it is for him I know or can imagine how u feel. It will make him a better man. What more motivation can u have. Tell him we are proud of him and when it’s all done he will appreciate the fight as much as the reward.
He eats every 3 hrs and is around 6000 calories and 250 grams of protein a day... I tell him all the time you guys are pulling for him

So you're saying he'll be back with some additional hair on his chest.

Hypothetically, if Dino can reach the Orange bowl next year... why ever leave? That would mean he could compete with the big boys, at freaking Syracuse. Man, win here, legend forever.

He has already proven that Syracuse University can compete with the big boys

Bam "The Taskmaster" is definitely back. ;)

Nothing can be more motivating than a horrible job.

I had a bad semester at SU and found myself on academic probation. This was a year after being on the dean’s list. My father got me a job cleaning ovens at a heat treatment facility in Paterson NJ. Lesson learned. People here understand Bam and want to see him succeed more because of it. Make sure Shy knows that too!

I had a bad semester at SU and found myself on academic probation. This was a year after being on the dean’s list. My father got me a job cleaning ovens at a heat treatment facility in Paterson NJ. Lesson learned. People here understand Bam and want to see him succeed more because of it. Make sure Shy knows that too!
Part of me wanted him to have to do this job for that reason. I wanted him to see how things are at a job that really could be on dirty jobs with Mike Rowe. I wanted him to come away feeling like he never wants to do that type of work again and he wants to get his degree finished up and to really truely focus on being the best football player he can be this next season. If he wants to get paid to play after next year he needs to show the world how well he can play and I wanted him as motivated as he can possibly be. Seeing him do it however is hard for a dad to watch. I think he is learning what I want but it is hard... you always want more for your kids. And I do make sure he knows what you all say. The fans support makes him feel better. 1 week down 12 to go

This is probably repetitive but...the downhill play of Guthrie and Cullen dramatically changed this defense in the back half of the season and had as much to do with the success as anything.
I started tailgating for the Liberty game 10 minutes after Babers grabbed the CWB trophy. Shy WILL be on that field!

I had a bad semester as well. Worked the midnight shift at a paper plant. Great motivation. Good luck to Shy!

And when he has to make a big play in a tight spot late in a game to propel us to the CFP it will seem like child’s play compared to his summer (and most of his life)

And the reward beyond full filling a dream with his brothers? Well later that year he ends up a mid round draft pick to a smart team.

Preparation + Opportunity = Success

And when he has to make a big play in a tight spot late in a game to propel us to the CFP it will seem like child’s play compared to his summer (and most of his life)

And the reward beyond full filling a dream with his brothers? Well later that year he ends up a mid round draft pick to a smart team.

Preparation + Opportunity = Success

There is truth in "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". Plus years from now, when Shy's kids start complaining about how tough they have it the story of this semester is going to be told...over and over again. ;)

Part of me wanted him to have to do this job for that reason. I wanted him to see how things are at a job that really could be on dirty jobs with Mike Rowe. I wanted him to come away feeling like he never wants to do that type of work again and he wants to get his degree finished up and to really truely focus on being the best football player he can be this next season. If he wants to get paid to play after next year he needs to show the world how well he can play and I wanted him as motivated as he can possibly be. Seeing him do it however is hard for a dad to watch. I think he is learning what I want but it is hard... you always want more for your kids. And I do make sure he knows what you all say. The fans support makes him feel better. 1 week down 12 to go
When he makes it back and has the great senior season he has worked so hard far, it is going to make him a legendary figure among Syracuse fans. This is a great story. Someone from the ACCN should get on it and make an in depth feature on what he has gone through. It would win a lot of awards.

When he makes it back and has the great senior season he has worked so hard far, it is going to make him a legendary figure among Syracuse fans. This is a great story. Someone from the ACCN should get on it and make an in depth feature on what he has gone through. It would win a lot of awards.
Have to agree. Was clamoring for this kid to play since after first game last year and then to have to do what he is doing is a huge testament to his maturity and upbringing.

They only do stories on Clemson, FSU and NC based football teams

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom