5 things to know before Syracuse football opens spring practice | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

5 things to know before Syracuse football opens spring practice

Hypothetically, if Dino can reach the Orange bowl next year... why ever leave? That would mean he could compete with the big boys, at freaking Syracuse. Man, win here, legend forever.

Yeah, he could coach here until he retires in 10 years or so.
This is the beginning of the new Glory Days.

I came in at the tail end of the three "Original 44s" as a young boy. That's the level that Syracuse was. We were on TV and in bowl games when there were only 3 channels on TV. That was a huge deal.

Then I saw racial turmoil on the team, and aging coach who could no longer relate to players, and a decaying stadium and facilities. Fortunately, as football bottomed out in the lost decade of the 1970s, Syracuse basketball was born, in the modern sense.

I tremendously enjoyed the return to greatness that was the 1980s-1990s in football. Glory Days II. Legitimate chance to beat any team in America on our day. Great talent, entertaining teams who could score, but we still packed a wallop. People knew they had been in a game after meeting up with us.

I will NEVER forget starting out with a 41-0 lead against defending-National Champs Penn State in the Dome, all beginning with that 80 yard touchdown pass on the opening play.

We wandered in the desert for a generation. We barely got our noses above water with Doug Marrone, and then we was gone.

Now, we have beaten Virginia Tech, Clemson, Florida State in the last 3 years, and won 10 games last year, for only the 7th time ever. We enter this season with about 3/4 of our starters back, and a lot of new talent coming in via transfer and upgraded recruiting.

Tommy DeVito has a lot on his shoulders, but he has a lot of help around him on this team. There are legitimately a lot of weapons. We haven't had this many playmakers on the same offense since McNabb was here. Seriously, an Oklahoma running back, a couple scat backs who can play in the slot and catch ball who run 4.4 or better and can cut on a dime.

We have big rangy wideouts, we have a couple thumping RBs, we have an old time guy as our O Line coach, which is always a plus in my book, and we have a Head Coach who is guy who has the balls to go for it on 4th down and keep the pressure on the opposing D all the time.

We have about the best young secondary in all of football. We have terrific DEs returning. We have some experience in the middle of the defensive line, but could use a bit more depth. We have loads of young talent coming in on defense. We have among the best special teams in America.

This is going to be a very exciting year. Adding the new OT helps us a lot, providing a stable platform for Tommy to shine. I expect a hiccup or two, but this team should win 9, and maybe could play on New Year's Day. Imagine that! How long has it been?