6-1 (After MSU, 7-1) | Syracusefan.com

6-1 (After MSU, 7-1)

Of course, four of those wins came in 2016. No reason why he can't get a few more this year.
Well there is a reason why we may not, Battle, Oshae, and Howard combining for only 29. We need at least two of them to combine for 30 or more to take down Mich St imo. They def came through in the clutch though. Battle and Howard's shots in the lane taking us to 52-49, 54-49 were as clutch as you can get.

A1E4B16A-2A56-40D4-AC18-04190F1BDAAC.jpeg
I wish Mr. Boeheim was my boss.

Of course, four of those wins came in 2016. No reason why he can't get a few more this year.
Ok, subtract 3 for later ounds that year and make it 3-1. Still very, vry good I would say

Only these last two appearances

That's kind of shocking. I mean, we've been to something like 40 tournaments. I can't believe these last 2 years are the only 2 years we've scraped in with a double digit seed.

That's kind of shocking. I mean, we've been to something like 40 tournaments. I can't believe these last 2 years are the only 2 years we've scraped in with a double digit seed.

Based on memory and a quick review (a horrible automatic-bid 14-loss Arkansas team in 2000, for example), I think it's been uncommon for all big-league schools to get double-digit seeds. There were a couple sprinkled in here and there, but historically for the most part a school from a good conference either got a single-digit seed or wasn't in the field at all.

Now that we've got four more spots in the field and this new play-in system, we're seeing a lot more mediocre P5 teams getting 10 and 11 seeds. And the 11s are reserved for that type of team. So that's why we're new to this. If there had been 68 teams in 1997 and 2007, we'd probably have been a 10 in those years, too.

Based on memory and a quick review (a horrible automatic-bid 14-loss Arkansas team in 2000, for example), I think it's been uncommon for all big-league schools to get double-digit seeds. There were a couple sprinkled in here and there, but historically for the most part a school from a good conference either got a single-digit seed or wasn't in the field at all.

Now that we've got four more spots in the field and this new play-in system, we're seeing a lot more mediocre P5 teams getting 10 and 11 seeds. And the 11s are reserved for that type of team. So that's why we're new to this. If there had been 68 teams in 1997 and 2007, we'd probably have been a 10 in those years, too.

Going back to random years (our title game years)

03: Bama 10 seed, Arizona St. 10 seed, Colorado 10 seed, Auburn 10 seed

96: BC 11 seed, Oklahoma 10 seed, Kansas St 10 seed, Texas 10 seed

87: NC State 11 seed, LSU 10 seed, Arizona 10 seed

It seems you'll find at least 2 or 3 out of the 8 seeds but you're right - definitely seeing more now.

But I think it really does speak to how solid of a program we have to have avoided being a double digit seed for so long and performing well as a double digit seed if it comes to that

Going back to random years (our title game years)

03: Bama 10 seed, Arizona St. 10 seed, Colorado 10 seed, Auburn 10 seed

96: BC 11 seed, Oklahoma 10 seed, Kansas St 10 seed, Texas 10 seed

87: NC State 11 seed, LSU 10 seed, Arizona 10 seed

It seems you'll find at least 2 or 3 out of the 8 seeds but you're right - definitely seeing more now.

But I think it really does speak to how solid of a program we have to have avoided being a double digit seed for so long and performing well as a double digit seed if it comes to that

Yeah, that's funny, I started to do research after I made my bold proclamation as well. Looks like 2 or 3 were standard through the late '90s - a lot of Purdues, FSUs, Miamis, Washingtons. So I'm a little off here.

Yeah, that's funny, I started to do research after I made my bold proclamation as well. Looks like 2 or 3 were standard through the late '90s - a lot of Purdues, FSUs, Miamis, Washingtons. So I'm a little off here.

You're right though as more are showing up since 2011 with this format.

USC, Clemson, Georgia, Penn St, Florida State, and Michigan State were all double digits in 2011

you only have 34 years of 64 team field, take out the odd years we didnt go and its about 30. when you addin most of the time the auto qualifiers in the lower conf that only leaves a handful of 10+ seed spots left.. if it wasnt for the new play in games we wouldnt be there at all again. if the pac -12 didnt totally stink this year we dont get in either.

My recollection is that lots of 10 and 11 seeds come from P5 conferences, just not higher ones. I don't know how long that has been true, but I think it's quite a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom