A big concern vs. MTSU? | Syracusefan.com

A big concern vs. MTSU?

cuse309

Ace recruiting beat reporter
Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but I'm not hearing much talk about it. The offensive line failing to dominate a far inferior opponent has been talked about all week. One thing that concerns me that hasn't seemed to get much attention, is the lack of pressure our D-line got against a far inferior O-line than we'll be facing Saturday. Cuse recorded 1 sack against a really bad 1AA team. As bad as MTSU's O-line looked against Vandy, I imagine it's a much better O-line than CCSU's. Vanderbilt pressured Stockstill all game, sacking him 5 times, keeping his normally productive passing game in check. If we fail to pressure this guy, he's going to be able to stand and deliver strikes at will. I know we hope our secondary is greatly improved, and we may be relying on them in this game.

I don't know the numbers, but there were a number of pressures, hurries and hits during the game which seemed to mess with the timing of the CCSU offense. No sacks, bit Slayton and Company did some good things. Hopefully we'll see more tomorrow, and we'll be doing this at the end of the game.

giphy (4).gif

Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but I'm not hearing much talk about it. The offensive line failing to dominate a far inferior opponent has been talked about all week. One thing that concerns me that hasn't seemed to get much attention, is the lack of pressure our D-line got against a far inferior O-line than we'll be facing Saturday. Cuse recorded 1 sack against a really bad 1AA team. As bad as MTSU's O-line looked against Vandy, I imagine it's a much better O-line than CCSU's. Vanderbilt pressured Stockstill all game, sacking him 5 times, keeping his normally productive passing game in check. If we fail to pressure this guy, he's going to be able to stand and deliver strikes at will. I know we hope our secondary is greatly improved, and we may be relying on them in this game.

Dont think much can be gleaned from the ccsu game honestly. It really was over almost as soon as it began. I think by this time tomorrow we'll know a lot more about not only our d-line and secondary, but all three phases in general.

CCSU is really a DII team. Vanderbilt, at this time, is as big and physical and fast as any team in the SEC, save 'Bama. MTSU is going to be playing very hard and will give Cuse all they can handle. Skould be a barn burner and should be on TV.

CCSU is really a DII team. Vanderbilt, at this time, is as big and physical and fast as any team in the SEC, save 'Bama. MTSU is going to be playing very hard and will give Cuse all they can handle. Skould be a barn burner and should be on TV.

no they're not really a DIII team. They would crush d3 teams. Vandy is not like every other SEC team save Bama. That's a stretch.

CCSU had 167 yards of total offense and 54 yards rushing. Syracuse did exactly what they should have and I'm not sure what more people expect. Go look at the box scores, we out performed every school listed here except Washington St who only scored 31 points though.

Portland ST / BYU
Presbyterian/Wake
Austin Peay / Cincinnati
Elon/Toledo
Rhode Island / Central Michigan
North Dakota / Utah
Florida A&M/Arkansas
Bethune Cookman / Miami - BC had 20 first downs and 350 yards. But we have no shot against Miami.
Stony Brooke / South Florida - another good one with a ranked team
Central Arkansas / Kansas St - check out this box score. 28 1st downs and 451 yards against the #20 ranked team
Montana St. / Washington ST
Missouri St / Missouri
Youngstown St / Pitt
William & Mary / Virginia
Eastern Washington / Texas Tech
North Carolina Central / Duke - duke outperformed us by a smidge 10 points and 6 yards.

Anything can happen on Saturday but to downplay the performance against CCSU is wrong. It was better than 99% of every other D1 vs FCS performance last weekend.

no they're not really a DIII team. They would crush d3 teams. Vandy is not like every other SEC team save Bama. That's a stretch.

CCSU had 167 yards of total offense and 54 yards rushing. Syracuse did exactly what they should have and I'm not sure what more people expect. Go look at the box scores, we out performed every school listed here except Washington St who only scored 31 points though.

Portland ST / BYU
Presbyterian/Wake
Austin Peay / Cincinnati
Elon/Toledo
North Dakota / Utah
Florida A&M/Arkansas
Bethune Cookman / Miami - BC had 20 first downs and 350 yards. But we have no shot against Miami.
Central Arkansas / Kansas St - check out this box score. 28 1st downs and 451 yards against the #20 ranked team
Missouri St / Missouri
Youngstown St / Pitt
North Carolina Central / Duke - duke outperformed us by a smidge 10 points and 6 yards.

Anything can happen on Saturday but to downplay the performance against CCSU is wrong. It was better than 99% of every other D1 vs FCS performance last weekend.
CCSU is ranked somewhere around 110 in the FCS division. A couple of years ago BC was beating Howard so bad, like 72-0 that they ended the game early, it meant nothing. And I'm going on record right now that Vandy is a sleeper to win the SEC.

We did bring the house on defense once in the second half. Their QB crapped his pants and dropped the ball for a turnover. It was exquisite.

That may be a big concern starting at game 4. I don't see it as a big concern this week, more like a question mark.

I don't know the numbers, but there were a number of pressures, hurries and hits during the game which seemed to mess with the timing of the CCSU offense. No sacks, bit Slayton and Company did some good things. Hopefully we'll see more tomorrow, and we'll be doing this at the end of the game.

View attachment 109446

Caddyshack gif = automatic like

I disagree. I felt Syracuse could have named the score last week. They got up 3 quick td's and basically decided to pump the brakes. They were covering our WR's 1 on 1 all game. They could have hit Ish and Custis all day on 5-8 yard gains and marched up and down the field. I think they are going to come out and put it on MTSU. The defense was solid against a good QB, who was supposed to have a good pass game. People are giving them far too much respect. I expect Cuse to roll by 3 TD's.

CCSU is ranked somewhere around 110 in the FCS division. A couple of years ago BC was beating Howard so bad, like 72-0 that they ended the game early, it meant nothing. And I'm going on record right now that Vandy is a sleeper to win the SEC.
i don't know if you're vandy assessment is right, but i hope it is. great school and would love to see them win the sec.

Did you watch the Vandy-MTSU game? They can easily win the SEC east.

CousCuse is right in that Vandy is no longer THE patsy of the SEC. They've improved somewhat over the last several years. They won't beat the likes of Florida on any given Saturday, but they're no longer a guaranteed win on a schedule for a lot of teams.

How much drugs do you do? First the UMass thing now Vandy?

I definitely saw a different game than you. Their QB didn't have time to breathe. Just because he got rid of the ball before any of his receivers could finish their routes doesn't mean we didn't get pressure. It means we DID get pressure. What did they throw for? 80 yards?

Portland ST / BYU
Presbyterian/Wake
Austin Peay / Cincinnati
Elon/Toledo
North Dakota / Utah
Florida A&M/Arkansas
Missouri St / Missouri
Youngstown St / Pitt

Someone please remove the "sour grapes" before the game starts. I get that we often struggle against inferior teams, but those times have changed. New coach, new team and new season. We are moving on. Syracuse will win this game by at least two touchdowns. I also have some legitimate concerns, but I also have faith in this team. Go Cuse!!!

I see -- so nothing can be gleaned from our game, but based upon the Vandy - MTSU game you're calling for them to win the SEC east.

Got it.
Cuse had a large mismatch on the positive side and MTSU had a large mismatch on the negative side. Hard to get good usable metrics from either game. I think MTSU and SU are more evenly matched. It is no gimme.

Well, they agreed to let the clock run with 1:20 left in the game.

As to Vandy, you assured us UMass was going 4-0 to start the season, so... ;)