a bit surprised | Syracusefan.com

a bit surprised

I think it is going to be a roller coaster year like all the previous years. In conference, I feel we can beat anyone but I also feel we can get beat by anyone. Should be a very interesting season.

I think 8 wins should be the goal. When are we going to have a Sr 3 year starter at QB, a preseason 2nd team AP All-America TE/WR, another 3 year starter at WR in Alford, an experienced OL, and a Rocky Long defense. This is year 8 for Babers and arguably his best team. If we can't strive for 8 wins with a somewhat manageable schedule than what's the point?

star trek sexism GIF

These predictions make sense to me as a student on campus. A lot of the people I have talked to think this season will be a down year.

Literally the only people I know who are optimistic about this season post here. And maybe this place will prove to be correct.

But no one else really pays close enough attention to the program to think we’ll be good with a bunch of unknown portal guys, guys who merely flashed last year, and the returnees who collapsed last season.

When you’ve largely sucked for 20 years, the default expectation is more suck.

These predictions make sense to me as a student on campus. A lot of the people I have talked to think this season will be a down year.
Geez. Do they know something we don’t? Is the Minnesota game a harbinger of what’s to come?

Geez. Do they know something we don’t? Is the Minnesota game a harbinger of what’s to come?
Probably not, it's typical Syracuse negativity. I am definitely an optomist, but this team has everything you'd need for a good SU season like 2012 and 2018. Good to great Sr qb, strong receiving threats, improved o line and d line depth. Does anyone remember trotting out Elmore as guard in 2020? Now the entire o line not only has veterans, the 2nd team is upperclassmen as well. The team also has high end ACC talent in Shrader, Wax, Gadsen, Thompson, and Caleb O, along with some other guys who look like they're gonna pop this year in Lowery, Alford and Lequint. On top of steady veteran talent, like Darton, Bleich, Simmons, Barron, I Johnson. That's not even mentioning getting a stud safety in Farmer from Nebraska late in summer transfer. The biggest question is o line, but for once there's depth. Going hard in the transfer portal should pay dividends getting a JUCO stud in Reed, a strong FCS player in Moore, and SEC starter in Wholobaugh. Then adding it to Bleich, and Cruz who appears to be very talented. The good thing about depth is, if any of these guys don't pan out, the 2nd team has depth to push them.

This team has the tools, I'm thinking 9 wins. This looks like a team with the talent to pull another 2018.

Probably not, it's typical Syracuse negativity. I am definitely an optomist, but this team has everything you'd need for a good SU season like 2012 and 2018. Good to great Sr qb, strong receiving threats, improved o line and d line depth. Does anyone remember trotting out Elmore as guard in 2020? Now the entire o line not only has veterans, the 2nd team is upperclassmen as well. The team also has high end ACC talent in Shrader, Wax, Gadsen, Thompson, and Caleb O, along with some other guys who look like they're gonna pop this year in Lowery, Alford and Lequint. On top of steady veteran talent, like Darton, Bleich, Simmons, Barron, I Johnson. That's not even mentioning getting a stud safety in Farmer from Nebraska late in summer transfer. The biggest question is o line, but for once there's depth. Going hard in the transfer portal should pay dividends getting a JUCO stud in Reed, a strong FCS player in Moore, and SEC starter in Wholobaugh. Then adding it to Bleich, and Cruz who appears to be very talented. The good thing about depth is, if any of these guys don't pan out, the 2nd team has depth to push them.

This team has the tools, I'm thinking 9 wins. This looks like a team with the talent to pull another 2018.
Not to mention getting a punter who can be a plus in managing field position!

7 wins is possible, that’s what we did last year and we have many of the same important pieces of that team. I think seven wins is fine but looking ahead a year predicting wins will be much more uncertain in 2024, just thinking the QB position with untested/lightly tested backups this year.

So if we’re going to have a blowout 9-10 win season then this is the year to do it. If Dino is right in saying our WR corps is exceptional this year then maybe that means Shrader spends more time in the pocket and less time running on broken plays. Maybe that keeps him healthy and we can do this thing. Plus a bunch of seniors and some great staff. Always a recipe for success. It’s the CEO’s job to bring it all together - possibly Dino’s toughest job yet, managing competence into excellence.

I think this is an "8 win" team.
It seems there was some tension between Anae and SHrader/Dino.
Shrader was injured and it seems played with a bum arm late in the year.
These things are gone.
We have a better punter and quite possibly a place kicker that can hit from 50.
We have a bigger and more experienced Dline and LB group.
We have more talent/experience at WR. It shouldn't be Gadsden only.
What's the difference between a dinged up Tucker and a healthy Allen?
(ans...one missed the first 2 weeks of fall practice:p)
You know who we MIGHT miss?? Bolinsky(sp?) the long snapper.HE WAS GREAT!
Replace him and we might have better special teams due to depth.
8-4 and a good bowl... LGO!!!!!!

the question is will we play any teams that have a bad year to help get a win or 2. all it takes is a hiccup type game to change a season for the better.

Literally the only people I know who are optimistic about this season post here. And maybe this place will prove to be correct.

But no one else really pays close enough attention to the program to think we’ll be good with a bunch of unknown portal guys, guys who merely flashed last year, and the returnees who collapsed last season.

When you’ve largely sucked for 20 years, the default expectation is more suck.

Yep. Unfortunately bringing up being a cuse grad in a sports conversation hardly gets an acknowledgement of football anymore. Hoops has always had the stage- and lax for those that like the sport but now you'd think we didn't even field a football team with some folks :(... or that we just are an irrelevant bottom feeder.

Would be great to grab some attention this year building off last.

Two of them picked a record of 5-7 and the other picked 6-6.

If Shrader and the O-line can stay healthy, they should be fine. But it's never been that easy here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom