A couple of thoughts I haven't seen touched upon. | Syracusefan.com

A couple of thoughts I haven't seen touched upon.

CuseCrew08

Starter
We've talked about in years past, how our offense would try to hold onto the ball, run the clock, and limit possesions. At this point I would think we would be pretty good at it. So WHY on earth, did we go to the endzone so early on our 2nd to last possesion??

We had the ball on NW 20 yard line down only 2. It was 3rd and 1 and we were moving the ball with ease. I figured the plan was to get the first down, run the clock and make NW use their timeouts, and then kick a very managable FG with as little time as possible for NW to work with. I didn't even mind us going for the endzone, but that could have came after we got another first down after we ran some more clock.

When we scored CTO mentioned that we left wayyy too much time on the clock and I agreed.

Also, a lot of people were questioning our defensive mindset one NW last drive, thought we were playing too soft and not putting enough pressure on NW. I didn't think we played too soft at all, we in fact did have a sack on that drive (putting them at 3 and 14 before Lyn's penalty). We also an almost interception that I thought Lynch needed to make to end the game.

I am worried how our no huddle offense is going to work when we are playing on the road. At home Nassib was able to yell out the next play and we were able to lineup quickly. When the stadium is going bonkers, is Nassib going to be able to get the plays to the receivers and O-line without a huddle?? We shall see I guess.

We've talked about in years past, how our offense would try to hold onto the ball, run the clock, and limit possesions. At this point I would think we would be pretty good at it. So WHY on earth, did we go to the endzone so early on our 2nd to last possesion??

We had the ball on NW 20 yard line down only 2. It was 3rd and 1 and we were moving the ball with ease. I figured the plan was to get the first down, run the clock and make NW use their timeouts, and then kick a very managable FG with as little time as possible for NW to work with. I didn't even mind us going for the endzone, but that could have came after we got another first down after we ran some more clock.

When we scored CTO mentioned that we left wayyy too much time on the clock and I agreed.

Also, a lot of people were questioning our defensive mindset one NW last drive, thought we were playing too soft and not putting enough pressure on NW. I didn't think we played too soft at all, we in fact did have a sack on that drive (putting them at 3 and 14 before Lyn's penalty). We also an almost interception that I thought Lynch needed to make to end the game.

I am worried how our no huddle offense is going to work when we are playing on the road. At home Nassib was able to yell out the next play and we were able to lineup quickly. When the stadium is going bonkers, is Nassib going to be able to get the plays to the receivers and O-line without a huddle?? We shall see I guess.

After the sack they rushed only three linemen. That was some sort of "prevent defense" and I don't understand why teams do it. Almost every decent passer can find a receiver when he has no pressure on him. I really feel that was a mistake.

The problem wasn't necessarily the prevent defense, as much as it seemed the players were confused/gassed and we didn't get a few personel substitutions that we should have.

After the sack they rushed only three linemen. That was some sort of "prevent defense" and I don't understand why teams do it. Almost every decent passer can find a receiver when he has no pressure on him. I really feel that was a mistake.
This was a Shafer brain cramp. Pressure gave NW QBs fits most of the game. Key play of the game and Shafer rushes 3...THREE down lineman guaranteeing that the NW QB would have all the time in the world to throw the fade. Just don't get it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom