A Couple of Thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

A Couple of Thoughts...

newmexicuse

All Conference
We got man handled inside and in the end that was the game. Not the first time that has happened this season and in the end, assuming we make the tourney, that is probably what will happen when we get bounced out in whatever round it may be.

Why is it that a kid named Onauku is in an opponent's uniform ? Doen't seem right.

We were hanging in there and the game seemed to turn when G missed an open layup baby bunny shot. I emphasize the word seemed because I doubt the result changes if Mike makes that shot. They had pretty clearly figured things out by then.

I would have thought this would have been an interesting matchup to measure DC2's progress. Unfortunately it just showed how far he still has to go. I hope the kid get's there.

Trevor played well after missing his first three shots and that was about it for offensive upside. Malachi & Tyler looked like frosh out there.

Howard got 23 minutes off the bench and had some nice positives in his play, especially his passing However, if you give him 10 minutes to rest guys that is one thing. If he is gonna be out there for 23 you gotta give him a bit of a green light to try and score. I know he isn't ready to be a prime time scorer this season, but you can't have a guard playing over half the game who is such a scoring non-threat that his man is always 5 feet off of him. That is not a knock on Frank it is a knock on the staff's red light. I haven't seen enough at this level to know for sure, but it seemed from his HS vids that he he capable enough of making a 15 to 18 foot J & if he hits a few of those at least it keeps the D honest.

All in all the team had been on a nice run. maybe we were due for an off game, particularly against an opponent who knows how to play against us. Can we adjust and bounce back ? Couldn't ask for a better test to answer that question than Pitt.

We got man handled inside and in the end that was the game. Not the first time that has happened this season and in the end, assuming we make the tourney, that is probably what will happen when we get bounced out in whatever round it may be.

Why is it that a kid named Onauku is in an opponent's uniform ? Doen't seem right.

We were hanging in there and the game seemed to turn when G missed an open layup baby bunny shot. I emphasize the word seemed because I doubt the result changes if Mike makes that shot. They had pretty clearly figured things out by then.

All in all the team had been on a nice run. maybe we were due for an off game, particularly against an opponent who knows how to play against us. Can we adjust and bounce back ? Couldn't ask for a better test to answer that question than Pitt.

From my perspective, we had played tremendous defense to start the game, and Louisville only had 6 points after 11:00 minutes of play. The score was 18-6, but it should have been in the mid-20's. We missed at the rim around 3 times in the early part of the game, and we were missing so many free throws. Of course, Louisville was going to eventually start hitting shots.

To me, though, the physical nature of the defense played by Louisville is exactly what is turning me off to college hoops in general - and I have a bunch of die-hard friends who feel the same way. I recall a drive by Mali where he got hip checked and no call was made. I recall an early attempt underneath by Lydon where he pump faked the Louisville center and there was clearly contact when he went up for his shot, which missed. Should have been a foul. Mali had another drive and got swallowed up inside. Then Silent G misses his bunny. Too much of Louisville's comeback was because of the zebras. I really try not to be a crybaby about the officiating, but wow, that was awful.

From my perspective, we had played tremendous defense to start the game, and Louisville only had 6 points after 11:00 minutes of play. The score was 18-6, but it should have been in the mid-20's. We missed at the rim around 3 times in the early part of the game, and we were missing so many free throws. Of course, Louisville was going to eventually start hitting shots.

To me, though, the physical nature of the defense played by Louisville is exactly what is turning me off to college hoops in general - and I have a bunch of die-hard friends who feel the same way. I recall a drive by Mali where he got hip checked and no call was made. I recall an early attempt underneath by Lydon where he pump faked the Louisville center and there was clearly contact when he went up for his shot, which missed. Should have been a foul. Mali had another drive and got swallowed up inside. Then Silent G misses his bunny. Too much of Louisville's comeback was because of the zebras. I really try not to be a crybaby about the officiating, but wow, that was awful.
I thought that JB didnt coach very well last night. We had a chance to put them away early and he never called a TO to stop or change up. He was pretty laid back the entire game didnt seem into it. Not his best coaching day

I thought that JB didnt coach very well last night. We had a chance to put them away early and he never called a TO to stop or change up. He was pretty laid back the entire game didnt seem into it. Not his best coaching day
YES! This is what I want the back story about but we may not get it. Where was the fire?

Agree with all of your citations, but it is hard to blame the zebras in this one. They just simply beat us up and we shot 21 FTs to their 2, so there were probably also a few missed calls in the other direction as well. They just kicked our butts over the last 30 minutes and their is no way to sugarcoat that fact.

YES! This is what I want the back story about but we may not get it. Where was the fire?
Jim knew there was .001% chance of coming out of the Yum center with a win . He was saving his and the teams fire for Pitt .

Agree with all of your citations, but it is hard to blame the zebras in this one. They just simply beat us up and we shot 21 FTs to their 2, so there were probably also a few missed calls in the other direction as well. They just kicked our butts over the last 30 minutes and their is no way to sugarcoat that fact.

Well loose officiating doesn't really benefit the finesse team. But we did lose on the merits, no doubt about that.

I didn't see it that way. I did see that Lydon play. It looked like he got pushed in the back. I thought the officiating was more than fair. To me when we got bumped on drives it was called. I mean we almost had them in the double bonus in the 1H. Free throws, sigh.

I actually had a bigger problem with the perimeter D and Roberson.

I think JB during the game was likely preoccupied of thinking about what other pleasantries he could say about Rick afterwards...as a part deux from that pregame interview/exchange (in which JB appeared uncomfortable...awkward) conducted by Ellis. ;):)

I guess you didn't like the Big East. It was way more physical than what we are seeing today.

Agree completely.

Our season will end because we don't shoot it well; we get manhandled inside or both...

Howard got 23 minutes off the bench and had some nice positives in his play, especially his passing However, if you give him 10 minutes to rest guys that is one thing. If he is gonna be out there for 23 you gotta give him a bit of a green light to try and score. I know he isn't ready to be a prime time scorer this season, but you can't have a guard playing over half the game who is such a scoring non-threat that his man is always 5 feet off of him. That is not a knock on Frank it is a knock on the staff's red light. I haven't seen enough at this level to know for sure, but it seemed from his HS vids that he he capable enough of making a 15 to 18 foot J & if he hits a few of those at least it keeps the D honest.

I thought Howard was terrific. Louisville's press is not high intensity but it lulls you into making mistakes. There was one time he dribbled into trouble and got lucky but, other than that, he did a very nice job of avoiding the trouble areas when bringing the ball up. In fact there were a couple times where he was just about to dribble over the timeline right into a trap area and he stopped and dribbled to the middle of the floor behind the timeline...

I'm going to disagree with you on your green light statement. We have enough offensive weapons that, as long as they are moving off the ball, he should be able to find them - and he certainly does. Playing five feet off of him simply allows him to scan the floor and find the open man...

I thought Howard was terrific. Louisville's press is not high intensity but it lulls you into making mistakes. There was one time he dribbled into trouble and got lucky but, other than that, he did a very nice job of avoiding the trouble areas when bringing the ball up. In fact there were a couple times where he was just about to dribble over the timeline right into a trap area and he stopped and dribbled to the middle of the floor behind the timeline...

I'm going to disagree with you on your green light statement. We have enough offensive weapons that, as long as they are moving off the ball, he should be able to find them - and he certainly does. Playing five feet off of him simply allows him to scan the floor and find the open man...

It also lets him get a head of steam if he can penetrate the defense. If he can make the defense contract, should help for those guys on the perimeter to get open looks.

Good thoughts freshman like Howard need to bebe free to play their entire game. One or two possessions that allow him to attempt to score won't lose a game necessarily. If he doesn't you don't yank him and start shouting at him either We have all seen our HOF coach verbally whipping a player after a mistake that gets visual coverage by the camera in big games. How does that help a kid who knows family and friends are watching the game? It doesn't .I also know that teaching the young comes with a different approach for all kids. You must know how this kid responds to"coaching Do you need to put him on the rack or does an encouraging method work better. The point of being a coach is to teach the young player the game. There is no one way to do this the wrong way can rip away a players's confidence in himself and the coach. Jimmy hasn't always been lucky with his chastising method. I don't like it and never have. I've had to teach the young in my position at my bank and frankly i was damn successful in doing it. You need to guide the young and not put them down. It worked with my sons and it worked with my employees.

Jim knew there was .001% chance of coming out of the Yum center with a win . He was saving his and the teams fire for Pitt .
Were you referring to the PITT team that has the best Big East record against the Cuse ...

It also lets him get a head of steam if he can penetrate the defense. If he can make the defense contract, should help for those guys on the perimeter to get open looks.

Yup...saw that yesterday on Cooney's first three...Howard penetrated, zone collapsed and Howard dished back to Cooney for wide-open three from the wing...

Were you referring to the PITT team that has the best Big East record against the Cuse ...
Yes , that Pitt . The one who can only try to steal glory from Syracuse because they certainly flop big time in the Big Dance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom