A different perspective. | Syracusefan.com

A different perspective.

Crusty

Living Legend
First, I want to say that my bona fides on supporting HCDM are well established and the purpose of this post is not to criticize but to add a bit of perspective to the coaching staff issues.

In short, these guys were good but not irreplaceable. In fact, If it had not been for Ryan Nassib (we might be asking for their heads today.

The Marrone’s era through 2011 was, without question, disappointing in W-L record. While the program was improving in many ways to be sure, on-field results were not exactly stellar. In those previous 3 years SU averaged 800 plays per season while allowing opponents to run 817. We gained exactly the same yards per play as our opponents – 5.14. In those first three seasons opponents outscored us by an average of about a field goal per game, resulting in a 17-20 record. It is hard to win if your opponents score more point than you do!

In the spring game last year, the O was only able to score once – during a hurry-up 2 minute drill. This proved to the inspiration to change to a hurry-up simplified offense and the rest is history. In 2012, we ran 1,029 plays, an increase of 29%. We gained 6.02 yards per play versus opponents’ 5.67. Not surprisingly, we scored 36% more points and had 6.5 more points per game than our opponents.
While giving Hackett and Marrone credit for having the guts to try it, does anyone really think this would have worked without 3-year starter Ryan Nassib at QB? Would they even have considered it?
Remember, even with the new promising offense, we were still losing half-way through the season and Ryan was actually struggling. We had a continuing series of frustrations. Then, all of a sudden, everything jelled. Key injured players came back, allowing for a more balanced attack and the team went on a roll.

So, what is my point? I think it is fair to say that the enthusiasm for the staff was largely based on promise than on historical results. It is impossible to know whether the promise would have been fulfilled or not. Up until last year, virtually everyone on this board thought Shafer was the best coach on the staff. Complaints about Hackett were as commonplace as the complaints about Doug. Hell, until last year many were still pining for Skippy.

Shafer IMO will prove to be a great college head coach – actually much better than Doug for college. The defensive staff and roster is deeper and better than any we have had in a decade.

As for the offensive staff I do not see Hackett as irreplaceable. Had Ryan been injured we would have had a losing season and everyone would be calling for Hackett’s head. He is still a work-in-progress and while we think he had great upside that alone would have meant he would leave sooner than later. So, get over it as we would never have been able to keep him anyway. The rest of the staff is also replaceable.

Fortunately, the roster is in very good shape and if we lose a few recruits it will not be the end of the world. We can certainly plug any gaps next year with JUCOs.

Coaching staff changes are a natural part of the ebb and flow of college football. I for one think the program is in very good shape and I think every program needs some new blood every now and then and I am looking forward to a new OC and other staff.

Go Orange!

First, I want to say that my bona fides on supporting HCDM are well established and the purpose of this post is not to criticize but to add a bit of perspective to the coaching staff issues.

In short, these guys were good but not irreplaceable. In fact, If it had not been for Ryan Nassib (we might be asking for their heads today.

The Marrone’s era through 2011 was, without question, disappointing in W-L record. While the program was improving in many ways to be sure, on-field results were not exactly stellar. In those previous 3 years SU averaged 800 plays per season while allowing opponents to run 817. We gained exactly the same yards per play as our opponents – 5.14. In those first three seasons opponents outscored us by an average of about a field goal per game, resulting in a 17-20 record. It is hard to win if your opponents score more point than you do!

In the spring game last year, the O was only able to score once – during a hurry-up 2 minute drill. This proved to the inspiration to change to a hurry-up simplified offense and the rest is history. In 2012, we ran 1,029 plays, an increase of 29%. We gained 6.02 yards per play versus opponents’ 5.67. Not surprisingly, we scored 36% more points and had 6.5 more points per game than our opponents.
While giving Hackett and Marrone credit for having the guts to try it, does anyone really think this would have worked without 3-year starter Ryan Nassib at QB? Would they even have considered it?
Remember, even with the new promising offense, we were still losing half-way through the season and Ryan was actually struggling. We had a continuing series of frustrations. Then, all of a sudden, everything jelled. Key injured players came back, allowing for a more balanced attack and the team went on a roll.

So, what is my point? I think it is fair to say that the enthusiasm for the staff was largely based on promise than on historical results. It is impossible to know whether the promise would have been fulfilled or not. Up until last year, virtually everyone on this board thought Shafer was the best coach on the staff. Complaints about Hackett were as commonplace as the complaints about Doug. Hell, until last year many were still pining for Skippy.

Shafer IMO will prove to be a great college head coach – actually much better than Doug for college. The defensive staff and roster is deeper and better than any we have had in a decade.

As for the offensive staff I do not see Hackett as irreplaceable. Had Ryan been injured we would have had a losing season and everyone would be calling for Hackett’s head. He is still a work-in-progress and while we think he had great upside that alone would have meant he would leave sooner than later. So, get over it as we would never have been able to keep him anyway. The rest of the staff is also replaceable.

Fortunately, the roster is in very good shape and if we lose a few recruits it will not be the end of the world. We can certainly plug any gaps next year with JUCOs.

Coaching staff changes are a natural part of the ebb and flow of college football. I for one think the program is in very good shape and I think every program needs some new blood every now and then and I am looking forward to a new OC and other staff.

Go Orange!
Good post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom