A different take on this "rivalry" question | Syracusefan.com

A different take on this "rivalry" question

cto

Administrator
Spent time yesterday with a very intelligent and accomplished woman who is a serious sports fan. She's a grad of UNC; her husband is a grad of UVA and their son is a student student athlete at Clemson in s non-revenue sport.

She is very unhappy about "the invasion" of the traditional ACC by "all these foreign teams." She said Miami, FSU and BC are still not accepted as "true" ACC schools... and that she's delighted that MD is leaving for the Big 10. She realizes this is all being done in the name of TV dollars, but says that doesn't mean she has to like it.

She says her viewpoint is shared by virtually everyone she knows in the Carolinas. And she says fans of Syracuse (and the other new schools) are delusional if they think the Carolina schools will ever consider them their real rivals.

This woman is very active in a national sports governing body where she has held significant positions, so she is not just some random UNC fan. I was stunned by the vehemence of her position -- which, as I said above, she says is widely shared. I know her fairly well, and I have never heard be so strident about anything.

Why was she so happy about MD leaving? After all, it's one of the founding members of the ACC. Or is College Park too far north for some people?

We won the war tell her to get over it.

Jk.

I don't blame them. Change isn't always fun. But this was necessary for the ACC 's survival as well. She should know that.

And in all seriousness. F UNC and the horse the road on on.

Appomattox court house...

I'm out.

Why was she so happy about MD leaving? After all, it's one of the founding members of the ACC. Or is College Park too far north for some people?
Too far north.. just as she thinks Florida is too far south. She thinks the "true" ACC schools are in the Caroinas and Virginia. I emphasize again, this woman is not some random yahoo. She is a very intelligent and accomplished woman.

They need t0 embrace us wholeheartedly, us other teams are ensuring the long time integrity of D-1 eastern athletic sports.

Too far north.. just as she thinks Florida is too far south. She thinks the "true" ACC schools are in the Caroinas and Virginia. I emphasize again, this woman is not some random yahoo. She is a very intelligent and accomplished woman.
Sounds like a yahoo to me. A conference that limited could never sustain itself. Not if she wanted her beloved program to succeed. The scope of collegiate athletics is changing, all aboard or death. Watch uconn wither.

Sounds like a yahoo to me. A conference that limited could never sustain itself. Not if she wanted her beloved program to succeed. The scope of collegiate athletics is changing, all aboard or death. Watch uconn wither.

agreed. The old guard has just gotta get with the times. Maryland did always feel like an outsider in the ACC and they've been there since the 50's. Seems someday soon, the new guys will outnumber the purists and then we'll have a completely different ballgame. I don't mind being a yankee! :)

I'm sure there are some UNC fans who feel that any school in a different county, never mind state, are outsiders. That provincial attitude would lead to the conference being picked apart by the B1G and SEC. Then what?

I know intelligent and accomplished women here in the Carolinas. Some of them are like your friend in that they still harbor an image of The South as their own private turf. As Edowd said the Civil War is over but you can't tell that to the dyed in the wool Southerner. I live near a small town where people who have lived there long enough to have grandchildren that are not considered natives or "locals" as they like to put it. And God help you if you suggest a solution to a problem that has been used in the North! There is a resentment with oldtimers that us "Northerners" have come to spoil there territory.

Reactions: cto
Spent time yesterday with a very intelligent and accomplished woman who is a serious sports fan. She's a grad of UNC; her husband is a grad of UVA and their son is a student student athlete at Clemson in s non-revenue sport.

She is very unhappy about "the invasion" of the traditional ACC by "all these foreign teams." She said Miami, FSU and BC are still not accepted as "true" ACC schools... and that she's delighted that MD is leaving for the Big 10. She realizes this is all being done in the name of TV dollars, but says that doesn't mean she has to like it.

She says her viewpoint is shared by virtually everyone she knows in the Carolinas. And she says fans of Syracuse (and the other new schools) are delusional if they think the Carolina schools will ever consider them their real rivals.

This woman is very active in a national sports governing body where she has held significant positions, so she is not just some random UNC fan. I was stunned by the vehemence of her position -- which, as I said above, she says is widely shared. I know her fairly well, and I have never heard be so strident about anything.

Totally agree. I mean who here really feels that Depaul or USF was embraced as a "Big East" team?
The conference blue bloods will always look down on us as outsiders and will treat us like we are Sherman comming back to Atlanta for a reunion.
Lets make them really hate us and win the conference championship AND a national championship in our first year!!

Oh, they'll consider us rivals once we're beating them on a regular basis. Hey, we already made their coach cry!

We could toss out the Carolina schools and be just fine with a reincarnated Big East Two.

Totally agree. I mean who here really feels that Depaul or USF was embraced as a "Big East" team?
The conference blue bloods will always look down on us as outsiders and will treat us like we are Sherman comming back to Atlanta for a reunion.
Lets make them really hate us and win the conference championship AND a national championship in our first year!!
A bigger coup would be to take over the Greensboro arena at tournament time. That would really upset them.

I can see why she feels the way she does. This new ACC is now just as much old Big East as is it old ACC. And if they end up moving the ACC tournament to the Garden...look out.

Yes -- this is the start of a great rivalry. They think we don't belong; we don't like that smug attitude.

Why NC doesn't like Duke -- NC is for in-state people; Duke has too many rich preppies from out of state who think Duke is the regional Harvard. Rivals not because they are the same, but because they are not.

Replace "ACC" with "New Big East" (or should I say "Big MidWest") and who here didn't feel the same way?

Like DePaul could ever have become our rival.

Good. We can make our rivalries a reenactment of the Civil War. And we all know how that turned out. So we will just have to dish some more punishment to our "Southerner" friends. All the more incentive to beat these Carolina teams a few times, and put them in their place.
Seriously what an antiquated view, and I know unfortunately these views still exist.

Replace "ACC" with "New Big East" (or should I say "Big MidWest") and who here didn't feel the same way?

Like DePaul could ever have become our rival.
but Louisville did

h8F98FEC2

That's all true - esp of someone from that class and generation. It's also why UL is going to be the big rival moving forward.

First of all, no, that opinion or line of thinking will NEVER change. Its naive to think it would. As stated Maryland was still looked at as an outsider and I believe they competed very well quite often in hoop (even won a title). Secondly, many (not all) southerners do still feel and think the way their ancestors did 150 years ago, say nothing about 50 years ago. SU will nevr be looked at as a rival. At best we will be interlopwers who are masquerading as chanpions of "their" conference. I wouldn't put it past some to keep track of the standing seperately and not even acknowledge success had by the new schools. Lastly, I have met many very intelligent and professional people from the Carolinas and Virginia. Most of them were also yahoos or bumpkins, whichever you prefer. I once attended a dinner with the president of one of my company's largest insurance clients. Epitome of a southern gentleman, very intelligent and even had everyone at the table say grace prior to our meal. He then went on to belittle our different race server and use several unacceptable terms during the course of the meal. It was all I could do not to get up and leave (had I been alone I might've). I guess my point is the past is always just below the surface for many inhabitants of the south. F UNC!

First of all, no, that opinion or line of thinking will NEVER change. Its naive to think it would. As stated Maryland was still looked at as an outsider and I believe they competed very well quite often in hoop (even won a title). Secondly, many (not all) southerners do still feel and think the way their ancestors did 150 years ago, say nothing about 50 years ago. SU will nevr be looked at as a rival. At best we will be interlopwers who are masquerading as chanpions of "their" conference. I wouldn't put it past some to keep track of the standing seperately and not even acknowledge success had by the new schools. Lastly, I have met many very intelligent and professional people from the Carolinas and Virginia. Most of them were also yahoos or bumpkins, whichever you prefer. I once attended a dinner with the president of one of my company's largest insurance clients. Epitome of a southern gentleman, very intelligent and even had everyone at the table say grace prior to our meal. He then went on to belittle our different race server and use several unacceptable terms during the course of the meal. It was all I could do not to get up and leave (had I been alone I might've). I guess my point is the past is always just below the surface for many inhabitants of the south. F UNC!
Seems like a good enough reason to never give a shitt what they think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom