A Differential Equation? | Syracusefan.com

A Differential Equation?

RoofBeam

2nd String
Other teams seem to get better as the year progresses, cf BC, Pitt, VTech, UVA, etc. ...SU, not so much. ...Some years are like that but with SU this is a disturbing trend and I am not sure it is entirely attributable to player attrition. At some point, doesn't the coaching staff, whatever its composition, and especially the head coach, have to take accountability for lack of player improvement and a failure to develop competent back-ups?

1) We generally start with games against Wagner, UConn, Army and the schedule gets tougher from there. If we’re not doing better record wise in September than the rest of the way, it’s either because we’re winning the ACC or going 1-11. Since we’re very unlikely to win the ACC, I’m ok with Septembers that are stronger performances than the rest of the schedule.

2). Every school has injuries, but we’ve historically had a big drop from 1st string to 2nd. The result is those injuries have had a huge impact on the later games we’re forced to play with much lesser talent.

This year is a fantastic test of my theory - we made it through a brutal stretch fairly healthy (I think…), the drop off from starters is less steep than in recent years, and the last five teams we play are between mediocre and hot garbage. If we don’t see a strong finish this year (4-1 or 5-0), being concerned would be justified because there’s obviously deeper issues at play.

1) We generally start with games against Wagner, UConn, Army and the schedule gets tougher from there. If we’re not doing better record wise in September than the rest of the way, it’s either because we’re winning the ACC or going 1-11. Since we’re very unlikely to win the ACC, I’m ok with Septembers that are stronger performances than the rest of the schedule.

2). Every school has injuries, but we’ve historically had a big drop from 1st string to 2nd. The result is those injuries have had a huge impact on the later games we’re forced to play with much lesser talent.

This year is a fantastic test of my theory - we made it through a brutal stretch fairly healthy (I think…), the drop off from starters is less steep than in recent years, and the last five teams we play are between mediocre and hot garbage. If we don’t see a strong finish this year (4-1 or 5-0), being concerned would be justified because there’s obviously deeper issues at play.

Hmm. Of course the results are really the only thing that matters, but how do you equate that Septembers are stronger performances when you are going up against such inferior opponents? Isn't the real measuring stick how you fare against your peers/conference members? Other than Clemson, for the most part, the ACC has been a mediocre conference at best during Dino's 8 year tenure. I realize that FSU has been good lately, but only for the past two seasons.

Yes, every school has injuries. However, in year 8 of Dino, there's absolutely no legitimate excuse whatsoever that can be made for his lack of developing/recruiting, etc. adequate depth to withstand a typical/standard football season, other than his lack of competence in doing so. IMO.

I seem to recall a few years back that many argued that the simple solution was to pad the early part of our schedule to build up some non conference wins. Tack on a just a couple more in ACC play and poof...we are a bowl team which brings some level of respectability on the national scene.

Is that what we are seeing? Isn't that what we asked for?

I seem to recall a few years back that many argued that the simple solution was to pad the early part of our schedule to build up some non conference wins. Tack on a just a couple more in ACC play and poof...we are a bowl team which brings some level of respectability on the national scene.

It’s what I asked for. 2 wins away from bowl eligibility.

In my opinion, that's where we start. Start by getting to a bowl nearly every year. National respect will build, hopefully recruiting improves from there. It's a long climb out of this hole we've been in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom