A Few Post Game Thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

A Few Post Game Thoughts...

newmexicuse

All Conference
1. So much for Tyler staying another year because he is weak at finishing at the rack. Hopefully, he just loves school.

2. Cooney - played totally within himself & shot 50% from distance. I saw him pass up a couple of treys; hopefully, the reason was that he did not feel his legs were under him or that he was not properly squared up which adds up to better shot selection. Three for six sounds a lot better to me than does four of twelve. He made a huge (dagger) trey as another poster said and two big freebies down the stretch. Overall, a nice B+ game from him, but he needs to add that other dimension consistently that he flashes every so often; ie, the pullup J and/or drive to the rack.

3. Solid games overall from CJ and Jerami. They do what they do. I would like to see more O run thru CJ when we hit those "funk" periods. he is the senior leader and he should be providing a lift at those times. Same also true of Tyler - he started out like a house of fire and finished up like one, but in the middle he didn't look at all for his own O.

4. Big 2nd half from BMK following a solid first half from Rak - overall nice play from the 5 spot. When they combine for double digits that is a really good omen for us. They were one board shy of a combo double-double. Rak is looking for his O a bit more.:)

5. The bench - Lot's of posters have stated that our lead started to diminish when Jimmy went to the bench. I have two thoughts on that. The first is that Ennis was out of the game. That is totally on Jimmy - Ennis needs to be in there when you also have BMK and Big Tyler also out there. That particular lineup was a self-fulfilling prophecy. My second thought was that things didn't exactly improve when the starting five went back in for the next 15 to 20 minutes of game play. How could a little bit of bench development when we were +18 have hurt more than what actually happened ???

Two lineups I would like to see more of:

Rak
CJ or Jerami
Big Tyler
Ennis
Cooney

BMK (or Rak)
CJ
Jerami
Ennis
Buss

Silent G should only be played when the other four on the court are starters; otherwise, we give up too much O.

Jimmy gets an A+++ for his management of each individual game, but unless we get to the FF again, I would only give him a B+ for the season because I think the only way we don't get to the FF is if some sort of adversity hits that we can't cope with due to the underdeveloped bench. It is not as if there is no talent in the guys who are sitting.

Silent G should only be played when the other four on the court are starters; otherwise, we give up too much O.

Jimmy gets an A+++ for his management of each individual game, but unless we get to the FF again, I would only give him a B+ for the season because I think the only way we don't get to the FF is if some sort of adversity hits that we can't cope with due to the underdeveloped bench. It is not as if there is no talent in the guys who are sitting.

Folks keep making the argument that we don't need to develop subs for Grant and CJ, because they can play 37-40 minutes without a problem; thinking only of their endurance.

One thing that I wonder about is whether knowing they have no legitimate backup negatively impacts their aggressiveness at some point in games. Obviously when you get to a critical foul situation 3 at the beginning of the 2nd half or 4 midway through the second half guys know they have to approach the game differently if they are to stay in the game.

I wonder if knowing that they really have no back up causes our guys to play more conservatively earlier than they would otherwise?

Last edited:
1. I'm not sure he has worked his way into the lottery yet but I expect he will. Just a very unique bball talent.
2. I thought Cooney had a good game but I also wondered why no pump fake and drive/pull-up.
3. I think we did go to CJ and Grant during or funks. They missed good shots and FT's or in Jerami's case not getting the call going to the hoop. Tyler was looking to get these two going and got them the ball where we wanted them to have it.
4. Agreed good game for these two as both seem to be improving steadily little steps each game.
5. I'm not sold on Buss regularly yet because I fear his fearless unpredictability at this point. I agree that Roberson should be in with Ennis and Rak. I also think that MikeG should be in first Ennis then bring Ennis back in with TylerR and Rak later when Cooney sits.

1. I'm not sure he has worked his way into the lottery yet but I expect he will. Just a very unique bball talent.
2. I thought Cooney had a good game but I also wondered why no pump fake and drive/pull-up.
3. I think we did go to CJ and Grant during or funks. They missed good shots and FT's or in Jerami's case not getting the call going to the hoop. Tyler was looking to get these two going and got them the ball where we wanted them to have it.
4. Agreed good game for these two as both seem to be improving steadily little steps each game.
5. I'm not sold on Buss regularly yet because I fear his fearless unpredictability at this point. I agree that Roberson should be in with Ennis and Rak. I also think that MikeG should be in first Ennis then bring Ennis back in with TylerR and Rak later when Cooney sits.

Agree, no way to be sold on Buss yet because he hasn't even had the dabble of minutes that Big T has had. I have only seen him on the court for a few nano-seconds at a time. However, in those moments I loved his energy and his D upside. Obviously, if he got minutes he would have a very short leash, which is fine, but you gotta at least see what we might have in him.

would have given Trevor higher grades if he had driven a couple times . would love to see him add another dimension to his offensive game game in and game out.

would have given Trevor higher grades if he had driven a couple times . would love to see him add another dimension to his offensive game game in and game out.

We have seen it at times but it seems like an afterthought to him. The problem is when he decides not to shoot we lose the advantage of the close out he simply passes it back to Ennis or one of the forwards. Even if he doesn't score pumping and driving two dribbles before unloading could give it to someone else in an advantage situation.

3. Solid games overall from CJ and Jerami. They do what they do. I would like to see more O run thru CJ when we hit those "funk" periods. he is the senior leader and he should be providing a lift at those times. Same also true of Tyler - he started out like a house of fire and finished up like one, but in the middle he didn't look at all for his own O.

4. Big 2nd half from BMK following a solid first half from Rak - overall nice play from the 5 spot. When they combine for double digits that is a really good omen for us. They were one board shy of a combo double-double. Rak is looking for his O a bit more.:)

5. The bench - Lot's of posters have stated that our lead started to diminish when Jimmy went to the bench. I have two thoughts on that. The first is that Ennis was out of the game. That is totally on Jimmy - Ennis needs to be in there when you also have BMK and Big Tyler also out there. That particular lineup was a self-fulfilling prophecy. My second thought was that things didn't exactly improve when the starting five went back in for the next 15 to 20 minutes of game play. How could a little bit of bench development when we were +18 have hurt more than what actually happened ???

Jordoo pretty much said what I was going to say regarding number three. In the second half it seemed like CJ had a few open looks and just missed them - I don't think we went away from him at all. He just didn't have it going. If he sticks a couple of those wide-open jumpers the game is probably hovering around double-digits and no closer most of the second half.

4. BMK is so tough to assess for me. You get a first half like that and you wonder why JB gives him more than token minutes, and then the dude comes out and plays a huge role in the second half. You truly never know what you're going to get with him.

5. Agreed, when you have those guys in having Ennis in to keep things calm seems to be important. You run with all three sans Ennis and you're asking for disaster.

We have seen it at times but it seems like an afterthought to him. The problem is when he decides not to shoot we lose the advantage of the close out he simply passes it back to Ennis or one of the forwards. Even if he doesn't score pumping and driving two dribbles before unloading could give it to someone else in an advantage situation.

He's actually shown a pretty good mid-range pull up off the bounce - we rarely ever see it, but when we do he seems to hit it at a decent clip. Kind of like Triche - he always seemed to stick the short jumper when he drove to the free throw line from the wing, but for so long he would only pull it out of his arsenal every ten games or so.

He's actually shown a pretty good mid-range pull up off the bounce - we rarely ever see it, but when we do he seems to hit it at a decent clip. Kind of like Triche - he always seemed to stick the short jumper when he drove to the free throw line from the wing, but for so long he would only pull it out of his arsenal every ten games or so.

Agreed I bet he's about 65% on it and has been especial dead eye from the baseline doing this.

On your point #5, I made a very similar post last week. Roberson needs to be in with the starters. Good post, TAFKAMM (the artist formerly known as mission man).

I miss your mission statements.

Cooney needs to pump fake when coming off the baseline screens, or shoot it. The defenders are chasing him at full speed and he could easily draw contact on the shot or fake and get to the line. Preferably early in he first half to loosen up the D the rest of the game.
Also would like to see an attempt to run the play they use to run for G-Mac or Rautins. Where they would be trailing the pg up the court and as pg would get just inside the three point line, he would flick it back to the trailer for a quick three. The quick penetration tended to suck the D in, leaving enough room the open look.

Folks keep making the argument that we don't need to develop subs for Grant and CJ, because they can play 37-40 minutes without a problem; thinking only of their endurance.

One thing that I wonder about is whether knowing they have no legitimate backup negatively impacts their aggressiveness at some point in games. Obviously when you get to a critical foul situation 3 at the beginning of the 2nd half or 4 midway through the second half guys know they have to approach the game differently if they are to stay in the game.

I wonder if knowing that they really have no back up causes our guys to play more conservatively earlier than they would otherwise?
I think JB views (as I do) that the gulf between Tyler, CJ, and Grant over their subs is so large that having them play conservatively is better than the alternatives. Add to that Cooney just progressed at Miami with a little clutchness while MG took a step back, and that divide is growing IMO.

If you believe there is a huge difference in players, it makes sense to have them gain experience playing with various foul situations. Of course the key players should be adjusting their play according to their foul situations.

He is not going to drive into or through zone defenses, especially Miami's

I'd like to see Gbinije used more as a frontcourt sub, not just to spell the backcourt. He could theoretically come in for either forward, and still be able to play in tandem with the other.

Which would mean that Gbinije could be used to prospectively spell four starters. That versatility would be another way to mask lack of depth.

That lineup with BMK, MG, and Roberson was brutal. Other than CJ who did the staff expect to score? It was only a couple of minutes but good lord that is a sorry offensive lineup. Can't put all those subs in at the same time.

That lineup with BMK, MG, and Roberson was brutal. Other than CJ who did the staff expect to score? It was only a couple of minutes but good lord that is a sorry offensive lineup. Can't put all those subs in at the same time.

we were playing 3 on 5 offensively at best. And that is giving MG and TR both .5 worth. Realistically they should only count .25.

Did I watch a different game game. I never saw BMK, MG, and Roberson on the court together. In fact Roberson came in the game when Ennis got back in the game after Gbinije got tied up.

Were Lebron Wade at the game like the Duke@Miami game last week, or are they to good for us and our NBA talent?

Maybe a 4 loss Duke team bored them that much.

Last edited:
Were Lebron Wade at the game like the Duke@Miami game last week, or are they to good for us and our NBA talent?

Maybe a 4 loss Duke team bored them that much.

Strange post. Very strange

I'd like to see Gbinije used more as a frontcourt sub, not just to spell the backcourt. He could theoretically come in for either forward, and still be able to play in tandem with the other.

Which would mean that Gbinije could be used to prospectively spell four starters. That versatility would be another way to mask lack of depth.

Josh Pace-like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom