A look ahead to 2022-23: Who’s gone, who’s back and who’s on the way | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A look ahead to 2022-23: Who’s gone, who’s back and who’s on the way

Interesting summary.

I liked what we saw of Symir / Joe. I'm concerned that we might get exploited defensively with those two up tops, but Symir looks like he could be a plus defender.

Not that we substitute much, but we'd have two legit guys behind them in Quadir / Taylor.

At forward, a lot hinges on Benny. I think he's a tweener trending toward a 4. Swider is a tweener trending toward a 3. So I think they could play in tandem.

Edwards hopefully returns, and he is a stud. Might have been the best player on the team this year. Anselem filled in capably after he got injured, and got a ton of PT this season. Will he move on for a guaranteed starting role somewhere else? Or will he stick it out and battle for a starting position?

This might have seemed unfathomable in the past, but... given Edward's offensive flexibility and mobility, could he and Anselem play effectively together? Maybe Edwards shifts to 4 [I don't see Anselem being able to play there in our system].

Bunch and Brown in reserve.

Questions -- what does Mintz do? Do we chase anyone else in the portal? Do we have any offseason attrition that reshapes the roster? What happens if Swider opts to play for pay?
For Anselem to play the 4 doesn't he just have to be able to defend on the wing? On offense JB has pretty much always had guys do what their skillset dictates regardless of their assigned position. Edwards could stay at the 5 on defense. The problem with Anselem is whether he'll just be someone defenses can completely ignore. Having him come off the bench to spell others for just a couple minutes at both the 4 and 5 may be his best role assuming with have better offensive options that would start.

Last edited:
I would like to see Frank at the 5 Jess the 4 Cole the 3 along with Sy and Joe at the point and off G positions. I think that Jesse would create one heck of a match up issue on O

For Anselem to play the 4 doesn't he just have to be able to defend on the wing? On offense JB has pretty much always had guys do what their skillset dictates regardless of their assigned position. Edwards could stay at the 5 on defense. The problem with Anselem is whether he'll just be someone defenses can completely ignore. Having him come off the bench to splell others for just a couple minutes at both the 4 and 5 may be his best role assuming with have better offensive options that would start.

I actually think if he plays alongside Edwards, you'd have to flip them on defense. But that takes Jesse's tremendous shotblocking out of the paint which isn't ideal.

I agree, that's probably the best for SU - to have Anselem as an experienced, high quality backup. But he's spent two years in the program now and gotten a taste of a starting role, and while there were ups and downs he produced. So the bigger question is -- would he be interested in returning for another year of coming off the bench, or might he set his sights on greener pastures where he can start?

I actually think if he plays alongside Edwards, you'd have to flip them on defense. But that takes Jesse's tremendous shotblocking out of the paint which isn't ideal.

I agree, that's probably the best for SU - to have Anselem as an experienced, high quality backup. But he's spent two years in the program now and gotten a taste of a starting role, and while there were ups and downs he produced. So the bigger question is -- would he be interested in returning for another year of coming off the bench, or might he set his sights on greener pastures where he can start?
What makes you think he can't cover the wing? He seems to be quick enough.

I wonder what he would define as greener pastures? What schools would he have available to him that provide a strong chance at being full time starter? I'm not saying he wouldn't leave. I just don't see him as the answer at starter for a peer school.

Why are many people on the board bullish Cole Swider is coming back? Do you have inside information or wishful thinking? We had a losing record and I just don’t see a lot of upside. His offense is one dimensional. Nice he had a couple high end games. Hot against a jv Florida state squad. We need race horse athletes who can get up and down the court and can beat your man off the dribble. And the ability to cover / press full or half court man or zone. No more remnants of ISO ball please. Time to bring back the dynamic Cuse offense and defense that the top teams in the country utilize to make them threats for a national title.
Cole will be more important to next years team if he stays. We lose a significant portion of our outside shooting with Buddy and Jimmy leaving. If Cole leaves too we are in big trouble. We might be in big trouble even if he stays.

What makes you think he can't cover the wing? He seems to be quick enough.

I wonder what he would define as greener pastures? What schools would he have available to him that provide a strong chance at being full time starter? I'm not saying he wouldn't leave. I just don't see him as the answer at starter for a peer school.

I'm not saying he WILL leave. Just that he might.

Because kids want to start. And player movement is at unprecedented levels.

Hope he stays.

I'm not saying he WILL leave. Just that he might.

Because kids want to start. And player movement is at unprecedented levels.

Hope he stays.
Got Carey coming, JBA would stay.

If he doesn't come back, who are you starting at the forwards next season?
JB easily found Swider in the portal and his son. My guess is the portal was looked at for one player in mind and one only for this season. You cannot tell us the portal this year does not have more well rounded athletic players throughout the country that will contribute immediately more than what we have now. We do not need a placeholder for the next forward.

JB easily found Swider in the portal and his son. My guess is the portal was looked at for one player in mind and one only for this season. You cannot tell us the portal this year does not have more well rounded athletic players throughout the country that will contribute immediately more than what we have now. We do not need a placeholder for the next forward.

You want to chase away Swider, a guy who shot .411 from 3pt last season, and replace him with someone you hope can contribute more.

I'd prefer that Swider come back.

Any idea when JAB is holding post-season player evaluations/interviews?

I have always looked at a 13 man roster like this (I also understand that there is versatility in players that allow them to go between positions), 5 guards, 5 forwards and 3 centers. Just a basic way to look at a roster.

GUARD:
1. JGIII (2,1)
2. Symir (1)
3. Copeland (1)
4. Taylor (2,3)

Forward:
1. Swider (3)
2. Benny (4,3)
3. JBA (4,5)
4. Bunch (3,2)
5. Brown (4)

Center:
1. Jesse (5)
2. Frank (5)
3. Carey (5,4?)

From the looks of this, we have almost a full house. I would love to land Mintz, he would be the number one talent at guard. If anyone leaves, obviously that opens us up for an addition. If JBA leaves, then it would be great to get a portal addition. I would love to see a traditional PF type that can score on the block, rebound and defend. Basically add some toughness and leadership to the roster.
Overall good and reasonable post, but if both Bunch and Brown are behind JBA in the pecking order than it will mean that we are looking at a disappointing frosh class. JBA has no skills that he has shown to date, plus he is slow. Brown and Bunch better be better than that.

Just my guesses. There will be some departures. Perhaps one more.
Not sure why frank would leave. Needs to move to PF. Have Carey back up Jesse. Benny probably gone unless Cole leaves.
Need a point. Also no one should get more than 30 a game next year.

I think that we would be better defensively with that group. You just have to make sure that Joe and Cole aren't on the same side. That way, Symir and Benny, who both seem athletic enough to cover more space, can cover for Joe and Cole. And, Joe and Cole weren't as bad as Buddy and Jimmy, in my opinion. I am not picking on the Boeheim boys, they are both good offensively, but they lack the lateral movement to be plus defenders. Anyway, defense will likely be better, but offense may take a hit. But, having a true point guard may offset the loss of two scorers. Cole sure looked like a number one option a couple times late in the season. I think our true number one option should be Jesse. The offense should run through him. He will almost always get doubled, and if he can make the proper pass out of the double team, our offense could look really good.
I basically thought Buddy, Jimmy, Cole and Joe would be welcomed on most any D1 rosters as starters or valuable 6th or 7th man. Even defensively. The basic problem was, which you allude too, is that they played together at the same time. Thus having Joe and Cole play next year works if they aren't on the same side most of the times.

No matter who comes or who goes I would like to see an open competition for all postitions and lets have the best players start and play the majority of minutes. I know, wishful thinking on my part
Sure. They can take out a full page ad in the Daily Orange. Open Tryouts. Melo Center 9 am sharp. Best 12 players will get a scholarship. Best five players will get a starting position. Bonus points for bringing coffee and donuts for the staff.:(

Bonus points for bringing coffee and donuts for the staff.:(
or maybe just an arnold palmer and a bran muffin. nothing with nuts or dairy ...

3032728941b5ad23454499be6d48fc4b.jpeg

free refills for seniors ?

What would be thinking about a line up that has Symir, Joe, Benny, Bunch or Brown and Jesse? I'm sure that will strike fear in to the ACC. I fear that is our team. I think and fear that is the team JB wants. Maybe throw in another guard.

What would be thinking about a line up that has Symir, Joe, Benny, Bunch or Brown and Jesse? I'm sure that will strike fear in to the ACC. I fear that is our team. I think and fear that is the team JB wants. Maybe throw in another guard.

NIT bubble team.

Agreed. If we don't get Mintz I doubt he brings in anyone. Jim doesn't portal unless its someone he knows and has already offered and it doesn't look like any past whiffs are in play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom