A Look at Stats to Date | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A Look at Stats to Date

Exactly this.

Which is amazing, given he plays less than half the minutes of the starters.

Also - I disagree w Marek’s rebounding being called “struggling”.
A - he’s not a 5
B - he’s got 2 elite rebounders in Q & AG on the floor with him 90+% of the time.

Everybody is pining for a C like AO or Otis Hill.
Big, burly, hold down the middle, rebound.

AO’s career rebounding average was 6.1.
Otis’ was 5.4.
Marek is at 6.3 for this season to date
AO stats
Otis Hill stats
The tricky thing about comparing 'rebounds per game' for players like Marek, Arinze and Otis is that Marek plays a lot more minutes than either Arinze or Otis ever did... which means he has many more opportunities to grab rebounds and inflate his rpg stats.

There's an advanced stat available at KenPom (and other places, I'm sure) called 'Defensive Rebounding Percentage'. As its name implies, it calculates the percentage of available defensive rebound opportunities that a particular player was able to corral. This season, Marek is only at 11.7%. Last year he was at 13.6%, and the year before that he clocked in at 12.4%. His freshman year, he posted an 11.6% DR%.

AO was at 13.3% in DR% his senior season, and he was at 16.6% his junior year, 16.3% his sophomore season, and 21.0% during his freshman campaign.

KenPom doesn't go back far enough to capture Otis' career, but a quick look at his minutes shows that he averaged only 24.6 minutes per game over his SU career. Whereas Marek has averaged a little over 28 minutes per game so far at SU.

The tricky thing about comparing 'rebounds per game' for players like Marek, Arinze and Otis is that Marek plays a lot more minutes than either Arinze or Otis ever did... which means he has many more opportunities to grab rebounds and inflate his rpg stats.

There's an advanced stat available at KenPom (and other places, I'm sure) called 'Defensive Rebounding Percentage'. As its name implies, it calculates the percentage of available defensive rebound opportunities that a particular player was able to corral. This season, Marek is only at 11.7%. Last year he was at 13.6%, and the year before that he clocked in at 12.4%. His freshman year, he posted an 11.6% DR%.

AO was at 13.3% in DR% his senior season, and he was at 16.6% his junior year, 16.3% his sophomore season, and 21.0% during his freshman campaign.

KenPom doesn't go back far enough to capture Otis' career, but a quick look at his minutes shows that he averaged only 24.6 minutes per game over his SU career. Whereas Marek has averaged a little over 28 minutes per game so far at SU.

I'm a rookie when it comes to the advanced stats, but that's fascinating stuff. Kudos to you and MikeSU02 who also uses advanced stats to illustrate his points.

I think this shows what a player we have in Kadary in the future. Which is great news for the Syracuse basketball program as a whole.

honestly, the stats aren’t as bad as I was expecting.
Is it great news that all the time he’s here he’ll be a back up with our YMCA boys ahead of him?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom