A lot this comes down to Carey | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

A lot this comes down to Carey

I kind of think of Carey as a less confident Waiters and imo would have been a fantastic asset if he could be the superman 6th man of the bench. He uses speed and not strength like Waiters does but to me their shots (streakyness) is a lot alike. I see Carey as being able to finish better once he's back and would work better with a center like Edwards than Sid as Edwards is able to leave the paint and be effective/threat to score while anyone playing Sid has no fear of him leaving the paint and doing damage. In other words if i didn't explain this well...Carey needs an open lane. His confidence would flow from that in his shooting.
Yeah. Confidence is the only thing keeping him from being the 4th pick in the draft. SMH

I really don’t see him as better or stronger.
He weighs 180 lbs. What was he 2 years ago? 170?
He is the same player.

2 years ago he had one less 1 RPG, 1 APG and his PPG went from 5.8 to 9.5.
Minutes per game went from 28 MPG to 32 MPG.
FT percentage went from 71% to 58%
2 pt FG percentage went from 54% to 60%
3 pt FG percentage went from 22% to 25%.

The guy is basically the same player.

He's a better version of what he was. 2 years ago he kicked the ball around the perimeter (I know he hit a couple of shots against Duke but it took til March). He's more aggressive now and has to be guarded accordingly. He he getting in the paint far more.

I kind of think of Carey as a less confident Waiters and imo would have been a fantastic asset if he could be the superman 6th man of the bench. He uses speed and not strength like Waiters does but to me their shots (streakyness) is a lot alike. I see Carey as being able to finish better once he's back and would work better with a center like Edwards than Sid as Edwards is able to leave the paint and be effective/threat to score while anyone playing Sid has no fear of him leaving the paint and doing damage. In other words if i didn't explain this well...Carey needs an open lane. His confidence would flow from that in his shooting.
We got about 8 guys who would be really well suited to coming off the bench. Thats the problem.

He's a better version of what he was. 2 years ago he kicked the ball around the perimeter (I know he hit a couple of shots against Duke but it took til March). He's more aggressive now and has to be guarded accordingly. He he getting in the paint far more.
I agree. He's looking a bit more to create offense, with his shot attempts per 40 minutes up moderately, and his free throw attempts more than doubled. His rebounds, assists, turnovers and personal fouls per 40 are also moving in the right direction through 10 games. Here's hoping these trends continue.

I agree. He's looking a bit more to create offense, with his shot attempts per 40 minutes up moderately, and his free throw attempts more than doubled. His rebounds, assists, turnovers and personal fouls per 40 are also moving in the right direction through 10 games. Here's hoping these trends continue.

He just HAS to stop fouling when he doesn't get an offensive rebound. Nothing ever good occurs when he does that. He's too old to get those frustration fouls.

And he moved his feet on the pick when he got run over. That was the right call. The block that should have been a charge was a terrible call. McClung definitely lowered his shoulder. Should have been a charge or no-call as a minimum.

He just HAS to stop fouling when he doesn't get an offensive rebound. Nothing ever good occurs when he does that. He's too old to get those frustration fouls.

And he moved his feet on the pick when he got run over. That was the right call. The block that should have been a charge was a terrible call. McClung definitely lowered his shoulder. Should have been a charge or no-call as a minimum.
Yes, he still commits one or two silly fouls per game and needs to eliminate those because they're the ones that get him off the court and/or force him to play more passively.

The player I think we needed this year was Chukwu. It's too bad he didn't come back for another season.
I agree and never understood why so many were so happy to run him off. We would still be bubble bound, but our D would look light years better.

The player I think we needed this year was Chukwu. It's too bad he didn't come back for another season.

I hear ya, but think about that for a moment and how it just epitomizes our inconceivable woes of being unable to land a legit P5 center since Christmas graduated. Wishing we still had a guy that couldn't get a sniff at Providence and that he had decided to stay for a 6th year in college...or however long it was. :(

Our staff has no offensive system, can’t recruit big men and is losing ground on recruiting every other position.

But yes lets blame a young injured guard.

The performance of this team rests entirely on the adults in the room imo.

This has absolutely nothing do with Jalen. Who is he going to pass the ball to that create anything.. The roster is subpar an you know that. How about put the blame where it belongs .. The man at the very top JB

That's actually how I saw those two plays mentioned in your second paragraph. That block was a ridiculous call and opposite of how they always seem to call that play in every other college game.

I know my good pal CuseFaninVT would be pumped about this idea! He's pretty much president of his fan club.
why-i-oughta-l7636w.jpg

Bourama and Marek get ignored on the pick and roll just like Chukwu did ... not sure what we're missing there.

Oh, on D? Yeah, I guess. But Marek also played way too much C last season because Chukwu isn't that great at basketball.

I’m hopeful that Buddy’s footspeed and Girards height can increase as the season progresses.
Footspeed is a tough one. But the height can be fixed if JB is willing to make some adjustments:
5054735442_8123.jpg

Chukwu had a career DBPM of 8.71. Top 15 in college hoops in the last 10 years. His defensive presence is severely missed.

That's the thing about the college game, guys graduate and move on, these days often less than 4 years let alone the 6 or whatever it was for Chukwu. What's missed far greater is the ability to replace a critical position in our zone with talent that is legitimate P5 level.

If a guard can finish at the rim, shoot floaters, and score in the mid-range they can play effectively even if they are not a good 3pt shooter, but they have to play with good shooters.

That's because they can't play off the ball since they won't be guarded until they have the ball, while a catch and shoot player has to be guarded when they are off the ball.

Therefore the shot/pass decision making of a guard who is a drive first player is critical to his or her ability to be on the floor, just as 3pt shooting percentage is critical to the catch and shoot player's ability to stay on the floor.

My kingdom for a flawed, limited but generally pretty effective rim protector from a statistical standpoint on this season's team.

My kingdom for a flawed, limited but generally pretty effective rim protector from a statistical standpoint on this season's team.
So you want last year's team with Buddy and Girard instead of Battle and Howard.

Chukwu doesn't make this team a tournament team.
We need a complete big. Trading an defensive liability for an offensive liability makes 88-74 games into 62-51 games. No thanks for those defensive clunkers.

7'2" and 218 pounds. Sorry, but he's on a squad in Switzerland now.

Lucky bastard.

So you want last year's team with Buddy and Girard instead of Battle and Howard.

Chukwu doesn't make this team a tournament team.
We need a complete big. Trading an defensive liability for an offensive liability makes 88-74 games into 62-51 games. No thanks for those defensive clunkers.
I could honestly imagine him making a difference in a lot of games. You are free to disagree, of course; you too, CuseFaninVT. But at least this team is losing games in prettier ways than last season's, ya know?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom