A lot this comes down to Carey | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A lot this comes down to Carey

The zone plays as a unit. Any doubt or uncertainty slows it down and lowers effectiveness. It has to be second nature with no thinking involved just reaction.

So the zone is only as good as its weakest link?

Regardless, this unit sucks and it's mainly because of BB and JGIII

I realize this thread has shifted to defense but I am laughing out loud at the multiple hits...and I mean MULTIPLE hits...a guy that scored 25 points in one half is taking. My favorite is the dude that says he gives such little effort that he doesn’t sweat. You people are priceless.

I realize this thread has shifted to defense but I am laughing out loud at the multiple hits...and I mean MULTIPLE hits...a guy that scored 25 points in one half is taking. My favorite is the dude that says he gives such little effort that he doesn’t sweat. You people are priceless.

Have you not noticed the fact the kid doesn't sweat? I totally saw that when I watched the Gtown game.

In my mind, contributions from those two were gravy. Whereas I viewed major contributions from Carey as critical

Maybe not 15 and 5, but if he gave us 10 and 5, with his defense at the top of the zone, this would be a better team. We would have probably 3 more wins. He didn't have to be a star, just competent. It's too bad he got himself so hyped up and couldn't just play more naturally.

It comes down to rebounding and D. If this team did those two things they would be in excellent shape. The 2 starting guards while yes a bit slow have to anticipate better/take away angles and I'm sure they will as they get more experience.

Carey is a good player and against some teams (if he has the confidence) he would be exactly what the offense needs while at other times Girard is and along with that Howard in moments as well. The problem is could each player handle the when the other has the hot hand and sit? A lot of these guys if not all want/need to be out there and have been the chosen ones on their HS teams to be the man and it isn't always easy to make that adjustment that when you make a mistake or two you are out of the game when before they never had to worry.

Guards who can’t shoot don’t work in 2019.

I kind of think of Carey as a less confident Waiters and imo would have been a fantastic asset if he could be the superman 6th man of the bench. He uses speed and not strength like Waiters does but to me their shots (streakyness) is a lot alike. I see Carey as being able to finish better once he's back and would work better with a center like Edwards than Sid as Edwards is able to leave the paint and be effective/threat to score while anyone playing Sid has no fear of him leaving the paint and doing damage. In other words if i didn't explain this well...Carey needs an open lane. His confidence would flow from that in his shooting.

So the zone is only as good as its weakest link?

Regardless, this unit sucks and it's mainly because of BB and JGIII
Yes. The zone is a group mind type system. It will improve as the season goes on. Who knows, maybe JC will return and that would help out a lot.

Guards who can’t shoot don’t work in 2019.
You got to just be able to shoot 30-35% from 3.
We need guards like Brandon Triche.
We need bigs like Rick Jackson.

Our staff has done a terrible job with this roster. We take players who aren’t complete and once you get tenure from JB you get high 30 MPG no matter how good you are.

Our problems aren’t even being addressed. It’s just make shots and hope for optimism that players get better.

You got to just be able to shoot 30-35% from 3.
We need guards like Brandon Triche.
We need bigs like Rick Jackson.

Our staff has done a terrible job with this roster. We take players who aren’t complete and once you get tenure from JB you get high 30 MPG no matter how good you are.

Our problems aren’t even being addressed. It’s just make shots and hope for optimism that players get better.

I think the guards will be fine in due time. The front line is another story.

I think the guards will be fine in due time. The front line is another story.
I have no confidence in the front line getting better.
Dolezaj isn’t getting better.
Sidibe isn’t getting better.
Hughes is getting better.
What do we have off the bench?

We need Edwards and Guerrier to get better.
I can’t lie I really don’t expect anyone to get better under this staff. The status quo has just beaten the optimism out of me.
I just don’t believe players will get significantly better by next year.
I honestly believe until Buddy graduates we are going to basically be worst case this year again best case last year where we are a tournament team but 8 seed range.

Have you not noticed the fact the kid doesn't sweat? I totally saw that when I watched the Gtown game.
Didn't Prince Andrew have that problem for a while?

Anyhow, I think we'll be better off once Buddy learns how to score his points evenly across each 10 minute game interval, just like every other player does.

I have no confidence in the front line getting better.
Dolezaj isn’t getting better.
Sidibe isn’t getting better.
Hughes is getting better.
What do we have off the bench?
I think Marek has gotten better. He has a little more game on O and he is still our best passer and back line defender in the zone. He's not Keith Van Horn and still commits 2 dumb fouls a game, but I think he has improved.

I think Marek would be a solid 3/4 guy as the biggest problem is that no one can defend the middle and the 4/5's are basically playing positions above their strength/talent.

To add to this this team HAS to be quicker and tougher when going after loose balls.

I think Marek has gotten better. He has a little more game on O and he is still our best passer and back line defender in the zone. He's not Keith Van Horn and still commits 2 dumb fouls a game, but I think he has improved.
Watch Marek in the Duke sweet 16 game 2 years ago and watch a game from this year.
He is the same player.
He has always had passing ability and the ability to make elbow jumpers.
The guy hasn’t changed.

He's gotten better / stronger using the skillset that he has.
I really don’t see him as better or stronger.
He weighs 180 lbs. What was he 2 years ago? 170?
He is the same player.

2 years ago he had one less 1 RPG, 1 APG and his PPG went from 5.8 to 9.5.
Minutes per game went from 28 MPG to 32 MPG.
FT percentage went from 71% to 58%
2 pt FG percentage went from 54% to 60%
3 pt FG percentage went from 22% to 25%.

The guy is basically the same player.

I really don’t see him as better or stronger.
He weighs 180 lbs. What was he 2 years ago? 170?
He is the same player.

2 years ago he had one less 1 RPG, 1 APG and his PPG went from 5.8 to 9.5.
Minutes per game went from 28 MPG to 32 MPG.
FT percentage went from 71% to 58%
2 pt FG percentage went from 54% to 60%
3 pt FG percentage went from 22% to 25%.

The guy is basically the same player.
I mean the baskets he scored in the paint on Saturday are clear evidence that he has gotten stronger and if nothing else his confidence has improved exponentially and that alone makes him a better player. I actually think you’re dead wrong and he has made real strides since his freshman year, he just needs to get rid of the one or two dumb fouls he’s good for a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom