A lot this comes down to Carey | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

A lot this comes down to Carey

So you want last year's team with Buddy and Girard instead of Battle and Howard.

Chukwu doesn't make this team a tournament team.
We need a complete big. Trading an defensive liability for an offensive liability makes 88-74 games into 62-51 games. No thanks for those defensive clunkers.

Sidibe is not an offensive liability?

Sidibe is not an offensive liability?
Sidibe is one level above Chino for me.
I don't want to say anymore on him than that. That is about the harshest I will be on a player.
If my choices are Sidibe or Chukwu then I am taking Chukwu. I just don't think Chukwu would make this a tournament team. He would clog the middle for us on offense. Atleast Sidibe isn't doing that yet.

I have no confidence in the front line getting better.
Dolezaj isn’t getting better.
Sidibe isn’t getting better.
Hughes is getting better.
What do we have off the bench?
Marek looked very good against Gtown in the first half before foul trouble hit. He had 10 points on a variety of paint shots and made some great passes. He makes everybody better when he’s playing smart and aggressive on the offensive end without fouling on D. Obviously his biggest issue is not having the strength needed for interior defense and rebounding. If we had a big bulky center like Onuaku or Jackson or Rak, his thin frame wouldn’t matter as much because our center could move people out of the way.

Seems that most threads these days devolve into people arguing about which severely flawed player that is getting 30+ minutes a game is to blame. As someone said upthread, we have nearly an entire team of guys who should be getting 10-15 minutes off the bench. It’s all pointless to argue which flawed player is the least worst.

Seems that most threads these days devolve into people arguing about which severely flawed player that is getting 30+ minutes a game is to blame. As someone said upthread, we have nearly an entire team of guys who should be getting 10-15 minutes off the bench. It’s all pointless to argue which flawed player is the least worst.

The leader of this program put this team together to compete in the best conference in college basketball . What does that tell you?

You got to just be able to shoot 30-35% from 3.
We need guards like Brandon Triche.
We need bigs like Rick Jackson.

Our staff has done a terrible job with this roster. We take players who aren’t complete and once you get tenure from JB you get high 30 MPG no matter how good you are.

Our problems aren’t even being addressed. It’s just make shots and hope for optimism that players get better.

Agree, people on this board preach D and rebounding.sure, sounds great and it's the crux of playing good hoops. But, we simply don't have the players. We have no size or athleticism and our guards are slow and that doesn't work in the zone or if we did play man.

Yeah. Confidence is the only thing keeping him from being the 4th pick in the draft. SMH

Fascinating...that's what you got out of what I wrote? There are similarities and hopefully you may be able to discern that is what I meant, not that they are the exact same player.

"Carey is just the symptom, not the actual problem.
[/QUOTE]

you know where to send jalen's christmas card.

doghouse.jpeg

kid was dismissed from the rotation long before we heard any mention of "wrist injury"

In my mind, contributions from those two were gravy. Whereas I viewed major contributions from Carey as critical

Guerrier was at least meatloaf. He's supposed to be the big strong inside guy we don't have yet. Goodine was in the mix for point guard but we had alternatives.

Pretty much every player other than Carey is who we expected them to be. Sure, we were hoping for more from Guerrier and Goodine, but the season is not yet written for them. Girard is better than most expected.

But Carey was the critical piece, the type of guard we've needed for some time. Imagine if he was giving us 15 and 5. Surely we would've lost a couple of these games, but we'd be a very different team.

Not blaming anybody for this, but in my mind a lot of the season always hinged on him taking a leap.

We are not dead yet, conference is weak and I expect us to improve.
So the story with Carey is plain and simple just based off his poor play like Boeheim is just put him in the doghouse and shut the door and locked it and threw away the keys I guess right. I thought maybe he was injured or other than that I had no idea because I mean even the walk ons are getting more time than him! he’s getting 0.0 time on the court so I guess forget about him. The only question I may have regarding him at one point or another is where he might play ball next season because it won’t be here unless I’m missing something

So the story with Carey is plain and simple just based off his poor play like Boeheim is just put him in the doghouse and shut the door and locked it and threw away the keys I guess right. I thought maybe he was injured or other than that I had no idea because I mean even the walk ons are getting more time than him! he’s getting 0.0 time on the court so I guess forget about him. The only question I may have regarding him at one point or another is where he might play ball next season because it won’t be here unless I’m missing something

Carey had surgery on his thumb.

The zone plays as a unit. Any doubt or uncertainty slows it down and lowers effectiveness. It has to be second nature with no thinking involved just reaction.
Agree on this. Syracuse has been good offensively with a lot of inexperienced players but rarely has been solid defensively with little experience coming back. It takes time to learn to play the zone well. Exceptional athletes might be successful immediately but we don’t have much of that with this team.

Agree on this. Syracuse has been good offensively with a lot of inexperienced players but rarely has been solid defensively with little experience coming back. It takes time to learn to play the zone well. Exceptional athletes might be successful immediately but we don’t have much of that with this team.
They are getting better. At times it doesn't look it, but they are.

I said this before Jalen Carey has a very similar game to Jason Hart, except Jason played to his strengths. (after his freshmen year) Jason played great defending (got a ton of steals) and ran the offense, got into the lane, shot the mid-range and got players like Etan easy looks.

Carey could do the same thing skill wise, if he wanted that role.

I hope to see more of Jalen here, if only because the name Carey still makes me think of Chandu.

Guerrier is going to come on by midseason. It is a long jump to come from Canada basketball to the ACC, but he's getting there.
You were talking about playing the zone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom