A lot to unpack from this game… | Syracusefan.com

A lot to unpack from this game…

Jake

Mod
I loved the tweek in the zone….a quasi 1-3-1. I actually hate that defense, but putting Buddy in the middle mitigates his lack of foot speed, but also takes away the easy post entry.

Hated the decision to foul up 3. Normally, I think that is the correct strategy. But without Jesse and this crappy rebounding team, I would have extended the zone and played it straight up.

Buddy played 50 minutes. He lost his legs at the end of the second half - but I was shocked at the energy he and the rest of the guys played in both OTs. Buddy and Joe were about as good as they can be especially in the second OT.

Officiating sucked both ways. Buddy got the Jordan treatment a couple of plays, but the two fouls the called on him defending 3s were both horrific.

Buddy and Joe took some terrible shots….the worst was the 3 that Joe actually made on a semi break…but we’re are going to have to live with some of that this year. We look ugly when those shots don’t go, and it makes you crazy, but it’s what we do. Indiana fans are probably bitching about all the prayers we hit…but it’s what we do.

Found it amusing that JB essentially gave Buddy the ball down the stretch and told everyone else to get the out of the way. Like he was Lebron. Ironic that we beat Indiana with a player that plays like there’s a peach basket on a pole.

Jimmy plays soo hard. He just can’t do much with elite athletes on the defensive end. But that three he hit and THAT LOOK TO JOE for the game winner we’re big time.
Felt bad watching him struggle at the line. But he plays tough and smart.

Cole goes through some rough stretches during games. He looks lost mentally, then bam, he goes off. Ned to find a way to get him to play more consistent. It’s odd, it looks like he looses confidence for stretches, but then snaps out of it.

Can’t say enough about Jessie. I mean, anyone see this coming? Efficient on both ends of the court. His defensive instincts are great. He keeps the ball high on the offensive end. I think he deserves more touches on the block. I’m sorta stunned.

I wish we could to a hockey change at PG….let Sy bring the ball up, and then go to Joe on the offensive end. We need Joe’s shooting out there for this offense to really work…but we’re going to deal with his shaky PG skills to get there. Sy did some nice things out there when he was out there…he put pressure on their defenders and made a couple nice plays. But he’s not a 25 minute player.

I actually thought the defensive energy that frank and Bennie provided in the second OT were huge. Frank obviously helped a ton with the free throws and battling underneath. Bennie needs work and time. His shot is a mess….he’s going to take time.

#23 from Indiana is the kind of player this team can’t handle. Duke has 4 of them. Hide your eyes those games.

Enjoy the win.

Agree with basically everything. The no no yes shots are not going away. We had a couple of sequences late second half that luckily went our way, and it appeared we were going to pull the game out (we know what happened after that).

Not sure when it was, but when Buddy shot a step back 3 after dribbling behind his back that he left short, leading to a transition basket, I thought that was a key play. Any chance a team gets against us in transition is alarmingly easy. He can clearly make that shot, but those type of swings are what really hurt us.

I loved the tweek in the zone….a quasi 1-3-1. I actually hate that defense, but putting Buddy in the middle mitigates his lack of foot speed, but also takes away the easy post entry.

Hated the decision to foul up 3. Normally, I think that is the correct strategy. But without Jesse and this crappy rebounding team, I would have extended the zone and played it straight up.

Buddy played 50 minutes. He lost his legs at the end of the second half - but I was shocked at the energy he and the rest of the guys played in both OTs. Buddy and Joe were about as good as they can be especially in the second OT.

Officiating sucked both ways. Buddy got the Jordan treatment a couple of plays, but the two fouls the called on him defending 3s were both horrific.

Buddy and Joe took some terrible shots….the worst was the 3 that Joe actually made on a semi break…but we’re are going to have to live with some of that this year. We look ugly when those shots don’t go, and it makes you crazy, but it’s what we do. Indiana fans are probably bitching about all the prayers we hit…but it’s what we do.

Found it amusing that JB essentially gave Buddy the ball down the stretch and told everyone else to get the out of the way. Like he was Lebron. Ironic that we beat Indiana with a player that plays like there’s a peach basket on a pole.

Jimmy plays soo hard. He just can’t do much with elite athletes on the defensive end. But that three he hit and THAT LOOK TO JOE for the game winner we’re big time.

Cole goes through some rough stretches during games. He looks lost mentally, then bam, he goes off. Ned to find a way to get him to play more consistent. It’s odd, it looks like he looses confidence for stretches, but then snaps out of it.

Can’t say enough about Jessie. I mean, anyone see this coming? Efficient on both ends of the court. His defensive instincts are great. He keeps the ball high on the offensive end. I think he deserves more touches on the block. I’m sorta stunned.

I wish we could to a hockey change at PG….let Sy bring the ball up, and then go to Joe on the offensive end. We need Joe’s shooting out there for this offense to really work…but we’re going to deal with his shaky PG skills to get there. Sy did some nice things out there when he was out there…he put pressure on their defenders and made a couple nice plays. But he’s not a 25 minute player.

I actually thought the defensive energy that frank and Bennie provided in the second OT were huge. Frank obviously helped a ton with the free throws and battling underneath. Bennie needs work and time. His shot is a mess….he’s going to take time.

#23 from Indiana is the kind of player this team can’t handle. Duke has 4 of them. Hide your eyes those games.

Enjoy the win.
Agree bigly on Jesse getting more lost touches. Because he can score and also that gives our shooters a chance to move on the perimeter and have a chance at a clean shot. The one-on-one pounding of the ball way outside with the inevitable contested shot or drive is maddening. Work it in first! At least sometimes.

Enjoy the win.
Great observations Jake, per usual. Granted you called it "quasi." The zone tweak was interesting, but it was not a 1-3-1. The guards were in tandem (1-1-3) with Buddy in the middle to start. After wing entry, the weak side guard rotated to the center (not always) and the rotations were the typical JB 2-3 from there. IU still shot the lights out of the tweak in the 2nd half.

Great observations Jake, per usual. Granted you called it "quasi." The zone tweak was interesting, but it was not a 1-3-1. The guards were in tandem (1-1-3) with Buddy in the middle to start. After wing entry, the weak side guard rotated to the center (not always) and the rotations were the typical JB 2-3 from there. IU still shot the lights out of the tweak in the 2nd half.
SU played much more traditional 2-3 in the second half. And whenever Sy and Bennie were playing, like they didn’t practice it much With those 2

SU played much more traditional 2-3 in the second half. And whenever Sy and Bennie were playing, like they didn’t practice it much With those 2
Yeah, I agree. It was an interesting twist I haven't seen from JB before. We used that tandem 2-3 a lot in my coaching days. It helps keep the ball out of the center of the floor on the initial pass or when the ball is recentered to the top. And some teams mistake it for an odd front zone, like a 1-3-1. The concepts are different on offense for odd vs even front zones. IU did not make that mistake, but I don't think that was the goal.

JB’s tweak with Buddy at the line/middle isn’t going to limit outside shots. It is to limit the inside attack to Jackson-Davis that was an Indiana strength.

Depending on the opponent’s personnel, it makes sense to use Buddy that way. We are vulnerable inside, with the risk of foul trouble to Edwards. So try to keep the ball out of the high post, and see if the other team can make 3s. And vary it up.

Why do you think Sy can’t play 25 minutes a game?

I think Boeheim is getting more comfortable with him and can see him playing 25 minutes a game later in the season.

Last edited:
There is no rule that says only one player can bring the ball up. Whether is it Joe or Symir, just give them a relief valve if they are blanketed. Jimmy, Buddy, Cole could all be that. No need to challenge the defender every single time before getting the ball past half court. Unnecessary.

Enjoy the win.
Excellent summary. The JB tweak definitely won us the first half and Woodson's counter (helped in part by our O turning into a combination of hero/HORSE ball) got them back in it.

I think Jimmy plays hard and is a glue guy but is currently looking for his shot too much. That may be needed now as Swider has no showed quite a bit. I also think Cole has a need to shoot and he drives me crazy just floating outside with his hands up. Buddy is proof that sometimes you have to work for points and shots.

Jessie should touch the ball every 5 trips, no excuses. I think JB waited 2 trips too many to start the second half in calling a TO or calling a play to insure Jessie got the ball, if for no other reason than he seems to be the only player willing to pass to the open man.

Frank was key - fresh legs, energy, FT's and freedom in my opinion, because he knew he wasn't coming out.

This team is odd in that I don't know how or why we score but we do. We can shoot (though we can be shut down too), we can't dribble drive, we don't have a lot of motion or spacing, and we don't have a lot of willing passers.

Last thought - bad shots are a bigger killer than usual this year because we can't defend. We need to be much smarter on shot selection and with our itchy trigger fingers that is going to be tough.

JB’s tweak with Buddy at the line/middle isn’t going to limit outside shots. It is to limit the inside attack to Jackson-Davis that was an Indiana strength.

Depending on the opponent’s personnel, it makes sense to use Buddy that way. We are vulnerable inside, with the risk of foul trouble to Edwards. So try to keep the ball out of the high post, and see if the other team can make 3s. And vary it up.
Agreed SoBristol See my post directly above yours (#6). The benefit of playing the top in tandem is to make it much harder to make an entry pass to the high post/center of the floor. As you said, that's at the cost of leaving the weakside wing shooter uncovered. To compensate, the weakside F were playing much higher - at least Benny was. I'm guessing he was over extended.

Why do you think Sy can’t play 25 minutes a game?

I think Boeheim is getting more comfortable with him and can see him playing 25 minutes a game later in the season.
I don’t think his ball handling is a greater advantage over Joe compared to Joe’s scoring advantage.

I also think it’s muuuuch easier to double Buddy and Cole with Sy on the floor.

I don’t think his ball handling is a greater advantage over Joe compared to Joe’s scoring advantage.

I also think it’s muuuuch easier to double Buddy and Cole with Sy on the floor.
Ideally, Sy provides relief for Joe, and occasionally Buddy. Sy can add more defense, and on offense get inside and pass to Edwards or a shooter. It is a change of pace. Not big minutes unless he earns it, but enough to give Joe a rest each half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom