A prediction... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

A prediction...

With the facts exposed about UNC, requiring athletes to even write a paper seems so 'old school'. A single player had to write a paper for a real class and the AD had a meeting to address the issues a professor had with the paper because it didn't pass muster- UNC didn't have to even worry about those details and the NCAA says it wasn't in their wheelhouse. Amazing times we live in. Both schools were definitely wrong but the degrees aren't even comparable.

absolutely true. UNC is way way worse than the Fab situation, but like you said, not in their wheelhouse. weak to say the least

I doubt it. Even if they are accused of creating an environment for illegal recruiting, illegal recruiting and payment of players in itself is not illegal. It's the conspiracy and bribery element of it.

The NCAA can also somewhat legitimately claim that it has limited ability to chase the money trail. Unlike the FBI, it has less access to records and can't just get subpoenas when they want them.

The best hope I have out of all of this is that the P5 finally gets away from the NCAA. Is much more open about payments. Admits that football and basketball players spend more time on the craft than other athletes (deeming them employees is a good way to get around Title 9), give them life skill courses instead of graduate diplomas (if the player chooses).

Yes, whatever rules they place around compensation could be circumvented by some, but that is not an excuse not to have any legit compensation. By this system now that gets people paid, you are putting coaches, assistants, directors and players at risk of jail time which is totally idiotic. Create a system that is more open and just takes that element out for most.

Yes, the payment will create any uneven playing field between P5 and non P5. But that is the way it has always been anyway.
There are some states with laws against paying athletes

I don't know if this is what you are insinuating, but can you imagine if the NCAA (or more likely, certain administrators/officers/whoever) knew about these under the table sneaker payments to players, but kept it quiet in order to prevent having to open a larger can of worms to pay athletes similar money from their coffers? Intentionally allowing illegal payments to avoid having to pay anything out yourselves is hypocritical, greedy and could flat out destroy the NCAA as we know it.

That'd be fun.

I've been insinuating this for years. Pure criminals.

This is no different than MLB and the steroid scandal. They looked the other way for a long time because it was bringing in millions of dollars with these guys hitting a bazillion homers. Once these other shady scum got involved then they realized they needed to do something about Bonds and ARod. Otherwise Barry Bonds would still be playing and would have about 1200 dingers by now.
I agree and posted something similar - only thing I would possibly disagree on is Bonds demeanor and refusal to play along with MLB and the media (as McGwire and Sosa did with their schtick which was a total stereotype) pushed the league to make a move. They could handle a cheater breaking records but they couldn't handle a man of Bonds skin color and F You attitude breaking records.
Also MLB only punishes the player - Selig in the HOF, LaRussa and Torre who managed 3 clubs synonymous with steroid use in the HOF.

I love most of your post, but as far as Melo was concerned... Someone wrote the paper for him basically, and there was a meeting of the minds convened by our phony AD to do what needed to be done to keep him eligible. Let's face it, any other school pulls that crap we are wanting them to get the death penalty. With that being said, if that piece of sh** Paterno got his wins back for covering up the most horrific acts that can be committed, then JB sure as hell deserves his wins back.
Students in every department do things like this. There was exposed organized cheating groups at several IVY league schools and it basically happens everywhere. The ruling group just wanted to take out a competitor while they cheated on a grand scale. Fab had a chance to be part of winning a National Championship and he had that opportunity stolen from him. Fab was no more or less perfect than many D1 athletes and now his life is over and the one great thing he could have done was denied him by some real mercenary politicians.

this investigation will ultimately end up with a connection to Indianapolis. And I don't mean the Pacers...

Good lock all of those crooks up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom