A pretty fair review | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A pretty fair review

Alternatively, Dino may have said “Hey I’d love to get back to having a dedicated top notch specials coach, but under the current budget, I couldn’t afford to keep Lustig (or replace him) and also bring on these upgraded defensive coaches”.

Then we have a disastrous ST season and ADJW has pretty stark evidence to go get more money for Dino’s staff (not to mention the necessary upgrades on the Offensive side)

There is evidence that Dino already saw the value of having a dedicated top notch specials coach given he hired one right after his first year here.

It almost always comes down to money and my guess is Dino built the staff he could with the resources afforded to him (We lost Justin Lustig to VANDERBILT!!!)
Exactly. People love to start false narratives about the HC. Like Dino didn't know the special teams was bad and he had no prior success with a designated specs guy. We are all tired of the losing but lets atleast direct our frustrations on the right things.

Last edited:
Problem was the head coach did not see any issues prior to the season. The head coach thought you could just kind of wing it with special teams, wrong.
You can only have a limited number of coaches. He decided to use Lustig’s spot for another position of apparent need. Can’t add a designated coach at that point without firing someone else. It’s too late to change the coaching staff once practice starts. The plan wasn’t too wing it, but to rely on staff on hand. It didn’t work out for the kicking game, but the coverage teams were good.

Indeed. He was brought to the Hill for his alleged "offensive guru" stature/reputation. Ha, what a joke! We took the bait and swallowed the hook, line and sinker.

Moreover, how many coaches get to clean house twice on their offensive staff, still not produce and fail miserably and survive?

What's that old saying? Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice... ;):mad:
This isn’t true, lol.

He was hired for his offensive system. It did work, but as the elements that worked either got figured out or became more widespread, the effectiveness of the offense waned. Gilbert was brought on to build on the old and make it new and sucked at it.

He signed a big contract at an optimal time for a program that can’t afford to switch coaches like an SEC team.

As for why we’d keep him around - see Wildhack’s presser last year. Players like to play hard for him, he runs a clean-ish program, and he’s a good ambassador. He also recruited some NFL talent, including the all-American RB leading us this year.

Friendly PSA: Sean Lewis was at Kent State in 2018, which was our most successful Dino season, and our best offense.

Perhaps Eric Dungey was the straw that stirred the drink.
My point still stands; I, and others, were sold a bill of goods when Dino was hired. A fantastic high octane scoring juggernaut. I vividly remember telling everyone I discussed College football with, that we just hired this guy Dino Babers from Bowling Green. We're going to score big time now. We're going to score 40 points/game. I mean we may give up 50 points/game, but we're gonna score 40. That offense I imagined was Sean Lewis'.

Last edited:
Indeed. He was brought to the Hill for his alleged "offensive guru" stature/reputation. Ha, what a joke! We took the bait and swallowed the hook, line and sinker.

Moreover, how many coaches get to clean house twice on their offensive staff, still not produce and fail miserably and survive?

What's that old saying? Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice... ;):mad:

Im sure all those programs who can their head coach every five years go on to great things…

My point still stands; I, and others, were sold a bill of goods when Dino was hired. A fantastic high octane scoring juggernaut. I vividly remember telling everyone I discussed College football, that we just hired this guy Dino Babers from Bowling Green. We're going to score big time now. I mean we may give up 50 points/game, but we're gonna score 40. That offense I imagined was Sean Lewis'.

So dino couldnt just copy it? Only sean lewis can run this offense? Sean lewis is the hc at kent state. Give him syracuse’s schedule and see how well he does.

Gilbert was brought on to build on the old and make it new and sucked at it.
I thought the offense was very productive last year until injuries caught up to the o-line. Sterlin really gets thrown under the bus, and I don't think he wanted Devito to start the season, which led to the Rutgers loss.

So dino couldnt just copy it? Only sean lewis can run this offense? Sean lewis is the hc at kent state. Give him syracuse’s schedule and see how well he does.
Right. Lewis has gotten Kent state from bad to respectable. He'still looking for a big P5 win. I would be more impressed if his offense was killing it at a P5 school.

My point still stands; I, and others, were sold a bill of goods when Dino was hired. A fantastic high octane scoring juggernaut. I vividly remember telling everyone I discussed College football with, that we just hired this guy Dino Babers from Bowling Green. We're going to score big time now. We're going to score 40 points/game. I mean we may give up 50 points/game, but we're gonna score 40. That offense I imagined was Sean Lewis'.

I'm not really defending Dino, I just think Lewis gets a bit too worshipped here. And yes, his offense is doing great things at Kent State. Not sure MAC defenses can handle it.

ACC defenses have adapted. And Dino's biggest issue on offense is that he just hasn't brought in and/or developed enough good players. Some, sure. But not enough. OL and WR especially.

I'm not really defending Dino, I just think Lewis gets a bit too worshipped here. And yes, his offense is doing great things at Kent State. Not sure MAC defenses can handle it.

ACC defenses have adapted. And Dino's biggest issue on offense is that he just hasn't brought in and/or developed enough good players. Some, sure. But not enough. OL and WR especially.
He’s shown he knows the recipe for a good wr but it all starts with the o line the last 2 seasons can be chalked up to the o line plain and simple. If you don’t have that your messed. When he first got here our offense was on a roll and the defense was atrocious ( the infamous Pitt game). He realized it and focused on improving the d which he actually was able to do very nicely with the right hires and recruiting. Unfortunately it flipped flopped and now our o line can’t protect for crap to be able to pass and keep defenses honest.

You can only have a limited number of coaches. He decided to use Lustig’s spot for another position of apparent need. Can’t add a designated coach at that point without firing someone else. It’s too late to change the coaching staff once practice starts. The plan wasn’t too wing it, but to rely on staff on hand. It didn’t work out for the kicking game, but the coverage teams were good.
No coach with that assigned responsibility is winging it, it was his decision not to assign a specific coach to that responsibility, noy saying he could do nothing else. I certainly hope the new special teams coach has other things he does.

No coach with that assigned responsibility is winging it, it was his decision not to assign a specific coach to that responsibility, noy saying he could do nothing else. I certainly hope the new special teams coach has other things he does.
Coaches were assigned to specific responsibilities, within the special teams subunits. No coach had the availability or experience to do it full time. It’s very easy to criticize in hindsight like you are doing.

Coaches were assigned to specific responsibilities, within the special teams subunits. No coach had the availability or experience to do it full time. It’s very easy to criticize in hindsight like you are doing.
Yep. And it’s not that unusual. Given the results, a reshuffle of the staff and hiring of a ST coach was a good move.

Hindsight, he mentioned this in his press conferences. He new from previous experience that one coach should have overall responsibility. If no single person is in control then there is no control.
The fact he did not choose to have any specific specials coach is not relevant to having one coach(not him) running special teams.

Hindsight, he mentioned this in his press conferences. He new from previous experience that one coach should have overall responsibility. If no single person is in control then there is no control.
The fact he did not choose to have any specific specials coach is not relevant to having one coach(not him) running special teams.
That’s Dino taking responsibility, but it is still hindsight and no idea what you are saying in your second paragraph.

As I've said before, the AD and university want Dino to be the guy that succeeds. Yes they gave him a big contract in 2018 but finally decided to invest way more in the program to do everything they can to make Dino successful. The 2020 budget that hired Sterlin Gilbert was not the 2022 Budget that netted Anae and Beck.

In fairness, there were people questioning the lack of a dedicated ST coach last year. Given the importance of ST at a place like Syracuse, I was perplexed as well. Good that Dino corrected it.

Friendly PSA: Sean Lewis was at Kent State in 2018, which was our most successful Dino season, and our best offense.

Perhaps Eric Dungey was the straw that stirred the drink.
1659968068593.jpeg

Within "special teams", you have several distinct units: coverage teams (punt and kick-off), the kickers, snappers & holders, the long snapper & punters, the return teams (punt and kick-off). There are distinct skills and distinct personnel groups under the umbrella.

Seems a bit simplistic to say you have to have a single ST person in control.

Im sure all those programs who can their head coach every five years go on to great things…

Your words based upon your own thinking. And, last year was Dino's 6th season, though 5 sounds better to fit your perspective/narrative...that's fine.

However, what is a probable "sure" thing, is that 'those' unnamed programs you're referring to likely have one thing certain in common, their lack of a total commitment in the past (as well as what it takes presently) that has set up their circumstances today in consistently being behind the eight ball.

Whether it's a lack of boosters, total commitment, etc. in the program, IMO, this is why Syracuse has been and will remain a relative imposter on the P5 level in football.