A pretty fair review | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

A pretty fair review

Dino has had one winning season. Its obvious JW gave him some clear directives.

and rightfully so. I am not sure Dino had much solid footing to stand on either. Wildhack did his job and some say firing Dino may have been his job but nobody really knows if that was considered or on the table because of things that have been discussed at nauseum which in fairness with a decision of that financial magnitude it's not just JW's call either. Dino works for Wildhack and Wildhack's job is to review the football program holistically at the end of every year. I don't think it's rocket science.

It's also extremely clear that Dino is very well liked and respected not only by JW but many of the decision makers throughout the University. They obviously are giving him every opportunity to succeed. And hey I am fine with it not that it matters one iota.

Your words based upon your own thinking. And, last year was Dino's 6th season, though 5 sounds better to fit your perspective/narrative...that's fine.

However, what is a probable "sure" thing, is that 'those' unnamed programs you're referring to likely have one thing certain in common, their lack of a total commitment in the past (as well as what it takes presently) that has set up their circumstances today in consistently being behind the eight ball.

Whether it's a lack of boosters, total commitment, etc. in the program, IMO, this is why Syracuse has been and will remain a relative imposter on the P5 level in football.

of course they are my words and my thinking. did i try to pawn them off as yours?

your comment about the lack of commitment is a reason not to fire the head coach. it means you can't really fault him for the record.

i think everyone recognizes that syracuse has an uphill battle to become relevant against in P5 football. that's not really much of a take. we've been pretty bad for approximately 2 decades now... my point is I still think dino gives us as good as a shot of becoming relevant as anyone else we could afford.

of course they are my words and my thinking. did i try to pawn them off as yours?

your comment about the lack of commitment is a reason not to fire the head coach. it means you can't really fault him for the record.

i think everyone recognizes that syracuse has an uphill battle to become relevant against in P5 football. that's not really much of a take. we've been pretty bad for approximately 2 decades now... my point is I still think dino gives us as good as a shot of becoming relevant as anyone else we could afford.
Does he though? Honestly, what does Dino bring to the table, better than his peers? He's a nice guy; that's all I got.
Is he an offensive guru? No.
Is he a great recruiter? No.
Is he a great in-game coach? No.
I mean he's a great ambassador for SU, but I can't say I wouldn't mind a jerk as HC, if he won more games. Maybe, a strong recruiter, or a strong in-game coach. Something.

and rightfully so. I am not sure Dino had much solid footing to stand on either. Wildhack did his job and some say firing Dino may have been his job but nobody really knows if that was considered or on the table because of things that have been discussed at nauseum which in fairness with a decision of that financial magnitude it's not just JW's call either. Dino works for Wildhack and Wildhack's job is to review the football program holistically at the end of every year. I don't think it's rocket science.

It's also extremely clear that Dino is very well liked and respected not only by JW but many of the decision makers throughout the University. They obviously are giving him every opportunity to succeed. And hey I am fine with it not that it matters one iota.
I would like to add that the fact that many “poachable” players, and most of the roster remained after the recent coaching additions says a lot about the current staff - including Dino. Those who could have voted with their feet chose not to. I view that as a positive.

Does he though? Honestly, what does Dino bring to the table, better than his peers? He's a nice guy; that's all I got.
Is he an offensive guru? No.
Is he a great recruiter? No.
Is he a great in-game coach? No.
I mean he's a great ambassador for SU, but I can't say I wouldn't mind a jerk as HC, if he won more games. Maybe, a strong recruiter, or a strong in-game coach. Something.

I think he is a strong recruiter—can identify under the radar talent, is a good executive—willing to shake up the staff for the better, and is a players’ coach who also commands respect, in addition to the poaitives you pointed out. I’ve said this before and gotten killed for it but I think the turnaround job here could take 10 years total. I think Dino is slightly behind now because we should have made a bowl game last year. But I still think he can turn it around and I suspect that once he gets momentum in the program, it can go into hyperdrive.

Man, usually this level of sniping is a mid-season thing.

5 losing seasons in 6 years tends to do that. I mean I don't think people (not saying you) realize how far down the program is considered around the college football world. Uconn won 1 game last year and hired a guy who hasn't coached in years and 75% of their fans have them winning versus SU. That game shouldn't even be close but you get the picture.

Dino has improved the roster 1-85, has built some core strengths, and has a roster with a lot of key contributors with a lot of potential eligibility. He’s managed the portal nonsense pretty well to the benefit of the team in the aggregate.

2020 was a cluster, but put that in its own probably should have shut it down category, 10-3, 5-7, 5-7 is not a string of 2,3,4 win seasons.

Disappointing, absolutely, last year should have been at least two wins better, but its not clear cut the guy should have been cut loose.

5 losing seasons in 6 years tends to do that. I mean I don't think people (not saying you) realize how far down the program is considered around the college football world. Uconn won 1 game last year and hired a guy who hasn't coached in years and 75% of their fans have them winning versus SU. That game shouldn't even be close but you get the picture.

Do you really think no one here knows the status of the program? Positive remarks doesn’t mean they don’t see the struggles of the team. We are all frustrated but It’s okay to be excited and celebrate anything good that happens.

100% of the 75% are 200% wrong.

Do you really think no one here knows the status of the program? Positive remarks doesn’t mean they don’t see the struggles of the team. We are all frustrated but It’s okay to be excited and celebrate anything good that happens.

I was responding to Cusians point about there already being some sniping and noted why that was in pre-season. Not sure how that has anything to do with positive remarks or being excited for the coming season. The point about people not understanding the state of the program is 100% accurate, you might not be one of them but there is a small but decent % that isn't being honest where SU is as an overall program in the national landscape.

At some point the results have to be there regardless of how well like Dino is. Whether this year is that year who knows, as the schedule is harder, does another 5-7 give him next year? I think we are in line for a 2018 ish year if 2 of 3 areas are solid. WR play and place Kicking and Punting as each cost us multiple games last year. The defense should keep us in games

Within "special teams", you have several distinct units: coverage teams (punt and kick-off), the kickers, snappers & holders, the long snapper & punters, the return teams (punt and kick-off). There are distinct skills and distinct personnel groups under the umbrella.

Seems a bit simplistic to say you have to have a single ST person in control.
Then why may I ask would we now have a designated special teams coach. What you just said makes no sense. You need a single person in charge of all special team activities even though there are separate skills involved. Running things by committee is sure disaster.

I was responding to Cusians point about there already being some sniping and noted why that was in pre-season. Not sure how that has anything to do with positive remarks or being excited for the coming season. The point about people not understanding the state of the program is 100% accurate, you might not be one of them but there is a small but decent % that isn't being honest where SU is as an overall program in the national landscape.

i think the last 20 years indicate as to where Syracuse sits in the overall national landscape. Debating it isn’t even worth it. Other than Kansas and Vandy I can’t think of any other programs that have been worse

I'm not really defending Dino, I just think Lewis gets a bit too worshipped here. And yes, his offense is doing great things at Kent State. Not sure MAC defenses can handle it.

ACC defenses have adapted. And Dino's biggest issue on offense is that he just hasn't brought in and/or developed enough good players. Some, sure. But not enough. OL and WR especially.
And he missed on his "stud" QB, which happens, while not initially recruiting legimate competition for him, which is less excusable and likely a result of his bad QB coach hire.

If a former TV executive is dictating staff decisions to a career football coach, we got big problems.
We do have big problems. 3 or 4 wins this year and no bowl again.

i think the last 20 years indicate as to where Syracuse sits in the overall national landscape. Debating it isn’t even worth it. Other than Kansas and Vandy I can’t think of any other programs that have been worse
It’s more than that, not many more, but there are. Depends what time frame.

It’s more than that, not many more, but there are. Depends what time frame.

Attachments

• A284CAAC-3195-4211-9B44-19806F6626A6.jpeg
    A284CAAC-3195-4211-9B44-19806F6626A6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
We do have big problems. 3 or 4 wins this year and no bowl again.
Yeah, and no future coach worth anyone’s time would want to come here and work for a micro-managing administrator.

Which was only being speculated upon and is likely untrue.

How? Because there’s been snippy remarks and the season hasn’t even started yet. It’s almost like people want them to do bad. Bringing up UConn? Who cares what their fans think of us. We all know SU football hasn’t been good. No one is getting fooled. It’s ok to talk about the good things as well. I just dont understand why people feel like they have to remind people after someone says something positive.

Duke. But your point is valid.

Duke. But your point is valid.
When you have lousy leadership at the top you end up with lousy results. We have had lousy Chancellors, AD, and coaches.The results are ... lousy.

We now have excellent leadership. Our Chancellor and AD are possibly as good as we have ever had.
Dino has been provided with more resources and compensation than any coach in the history of Syracuse Athletics.
I believe that if he allows his OC and DC to game plan and basically run the X and O sides that we will have a solid team. He needs to set direction and culture and leave the details to these guys.

I definitely don’t care what those mouth breathers think. I don’t care what the perception out there is either - no need to concern ourselves with that right now.

Plenty of time to worry - prefer hope around summer.

Edit: read further and realized the point you were making. I agree that a portion of the fan base is out of touch with our place currently and the reasons why - in favor of thinking it’s still the 90s

How? Because there’s been snippy remarks and the season hasn’t even started yet. It’s almost like people want them to do bad. Bringing up UConn? Who cares what their fans think of us. We all know SU football hasn’t been good. No one is getting fooled. It’s ok to talk about the good things as well. I just dont understand why people feel like they have to remind people after someone says something positive.

Again I was responding to his statement on why some people were having issues with Babers in the pre season. At no point did my response have anything to do with nor did it call anyone out for being positive or for saying something good about the team. I dont know why you keep mentioning that.

As for Uconn I used it as an example for the lack of respect or standing for where the program is in the eyes of other program's. Sorry you didnt like the example but my point stands.

Last edited: