A second Golden, or is it Orange Age, of SU sports | Syracusefan.com

A second Golden, or is it Orange Age, of SU sports

GoSU96

Living Legend
Is SU athletics is in the middle of another golden age?

87 thorugh 92 (calendar years) the hoops team was ranked in the top ten in the final poll 5 years in a row, appeared in the national title game and one regional final. It did under perform in the tourney with three first weekend losses.

The lax team went 3-1 in title games and made it to the final four two others and was the 1st seed four times.

The football team went 5-0-1 in six consecutive bowl games including two major bowls beating LSU, UGA, OSU and being tied by Auburn. In those six years they finished ranked 5 times, at 4th, 7th, 11th, 13th, and 21st.

All three programs played at a very high level at the same time for six years.

At the end of Jake's tenure the hoops team won a national championship in 2003 and lax won in 2004. The football team made it to a bowl but got crushed and P was fired.

After that all three programs went into relative decline. Between 2005 and 2011 the basketball team only was ranked in the top 10 in the final poll once, missed the NCAA twice, losing in the first weekend three times, and losing in the sweet sixteen twice. The lax team had one losing season, missed the final four three other times. They did win the championship twice but the programs dominant position was gone. As for the football team six losing seasons, 5 straight. The bright spot was an 8 win season and Pinstripe win.

Since then things have improved considerably.

Hoops, final poll rankings of 2nd and 16th with a regional final and final four appearance. Lax, not being seeded and first round loss to Duke was not good, but last year ended with a one seed and title game appearance. The football team is coming off of two consecutive winning seasons and bowl wins for the first time since 95 and 96.

This current calendar year Hoops and Lax are both ranked #1 and the football team just had it's best recruiting class in 15 years in the opinion of Dave Rahme.

Kudo's to TGD, JB, JD, SS (and DM).

It's good to be Orange.

What I'm really liking about this time around is that it's not focused solely on the "Big 3" SU sports of men's basketball, football, and men's lacrosse.

We now have consistently ranked to national championship contenders in cross-country, field hockey, and women's lacrosse.

And we have up and coming programs in women's basketball, men's soccer, and softball.

Color this the Orange Platinum Age.

Cheers,
Neil

What I'm really liking about this time around is that it's not focused solely on the "Big 3" SU sports of men's basketball, football, and men's lacrosse.

We now have consistently ranked to national championship contenders in cross-country, field hockey, and women's lacrosse.

And we have up and coming programs in women's basketball, men's soccer, and softball.

Cheers,
Neil

And I really miss wrestling .. damn!

Cheers,
Neil

Didn't the cross country team do really well this year?

Is SU athletics is in the middle of another golden age?

87 thorugh 92 (calendar years) the hoops team was ranked in the top ten in the final poll 5 years in a row, appeared in the national title game and one regional final. It did under perform in the tourney with three first weekend losses.

The lax team went 3-1 in title games and made it to the final four two others and was the 1st seed four times.

The football team went 5-0-1 in six consecutive bowl games including two major bowls beating LSU, UGA, OSU and being tied by Auburn. In those six years they finished ranked 5 times, at 4th, 7th, 11th, 13th, and 21st.

All three programs played at a very high level at the same time for six years.

At the end of Jake's tenure the hoops team won a national championship in 2003 and lax won in 2004. The football team made it to a bowl but got crushed and P was fired.

After that all three programs went into relative decline. Between 2005 and 2011 the basketball team only was ranked in the top 10 in the final poll once, missed the NCAA twice, losing in the first weekend three times, and losing in the sweet sixteen twice. The lax team had one losing season, missed the final four three other times. They did win the championship twice but the programs dominant position was gone. As for the football team six losing seasons, 5 straight. The bright spot was an 8 win season and Pinstripe win.

Since then things have improved considerably.

Hoops, final poll rankings of 2nd and 16th with a regional final and final four appearance. Lax, not being seeded and first round loss to Duke was not good, but last year ended with a one seed and title game appearance. The football team is coming off of two consecutive winning seasons and bowl wins for the first time since 95 and 96.

This current calendar year Hoops and Lax are both ranked #1 and the football team just had it's best recruiting class in 15 years in the opinion of Dave Rahme.

Kudo's to TGD, JB, JD, SS (and DM).

It's good to be Orange.
small complaint - it's a little unfair to the basketball team to leave out the two big east tournament championships. (not that I'm pining for the McCroskey era.)

I'm guessing at least half of the active posters over on this side root for Florida State and/or Alabama in the Fall so many here might be a bit confused about your football mention.

Didn't the cross country team do really well this year?

Really well: the men won the ACC, won the Northeast Regional, finished tenth at nationals, and Chris Fox was the ACC's coach of the year.

And the women finished third in the ACC and the regional, 22nd at nationals. And recruiting is going great.

I'm guessing at least half of the active posters over on this side root for Florida State and/or Alabama in the Fall so many here might be a bit confused about your football mention.
The football team had a nice run in the late 80's to late 90's but I still consider the real glory years for them to be from 1955 to 1967. The basketball and lacrosse teams were also quite good in the mid-1950's. Throw in an NBA title for the city of Syracuse and I would have to say that this was the real golden age to be a Syracuse fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom