A simple stat that speaks volumes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

A simple stat that speaks volumes

The roster sucks, guys. This the result of eight years of roster mismanagement. We will make it to 18 wins as we always do, but the team is not good, again.

Oh, please.

He’s playing Jimmy a lot because Benny just doesn’t contribute consistently enough to earn more PT.

In a perfect world, Benny comes in like OSB or Quincy or hell, Mali or Lydon or Battle -
And he’s good enough to earn 20+ minutes a game.

Which then reduces Jimmy & Coles minutes.

We’ve got 3 Forwards, and 80 minutes between them.
By default, if Benny can’t play well enough to get more of them, then they must go to Jimmy &/or Cole.
Gave you a like but its so sad that it's true. Years (decades?) ago JB said he'd rather play his best players at 80% efficiency then a bench player at 100%. Still true. To lazy to check Benny's numbers but what would his ppg be if he played say 20 minutes. And his +/- .

This is what I posted several weeks ago.

Carmelo played 36 minutes a game. And may be one of the best players we have ever had.

Derrick Coleman played between 30-35 mpg (30, 32, 33, 35 respectively).

Wes Johnson 35 minutes

Lawrence Moten played 33-35 (33, 32, 34, 35 respectively)

Gerry McNamara 35-36 (35, 36, 35, 35 respectively).

Some of the best and most productive players we have ever had. And none of them averaged over 36 mins per game.

And now, we have guys that are not even close to the players I listed above playing the same, if not more minutes per game.

I'll repeat my old standby.

In the national championship game, John Wallace sat...

for J.B. Reafsnyder.

Everyone needs some on-bench learning, to say nothing of rest.

There's a direct correlation between the coach's change in philosophy and the program's regression.

It would also help if we actually used all of our scholarships or close to it. The fact that this team has essentially 9 scholarship players and 1 of them is clearly chronically injured is absurd.
Totally unacceptable with the transfer portal and grad transfers. You could easily fill those spots and not prevent future recruits from coming. It would only elevate your team as a whole and push each other even more in practice. We are not even able to have a full 5 on 5 practice with all D1 caliber players.

To be fair, most teams don't run out 13 scholarship players. The difference between Duke's 8th man and SU's 8th man this season is just 20 minutes total minutes. SU and Arizona? 9 minutes. Hop and JAB? SU +59 minutes.

BUT and I have been harping on this for years is that JAB has been deficient in roster management and people blamed sanctions. Or players leaving early. This is how he wanted the team constructed. That's how he wanted the teams in the past constructed.

If Banchero played on Syracuse and started and James came off the bench, how many loses would the team have? 0? 1? 2? Now I'm not saying Benny is as good as PB, but I'm not saying he isn't either. He is behind in his development to PB, but he has everything to be just as good, including and especially his intelligence.

To be fair, most teams don't run out 13 scholarship players. The difference between Duke's 8th man and SU's 8th man this season is just 20 minutes total minutes. SU and Arizona? 9 minutes. Hop and JAB? SU +59 minutes.

BUT and I have been harping on this for years is that JAB has been deficient in roster management and people blamed sanctions. Or players leaving early. This is how he wanted the team constructed. That's how he wanted the teams in the past constructed.
And you know this, but it's not just getting the end of the bench game run. It's having truly competitive practices where they can try to overcome their weaknesses. We haven't been able to run a full 5 on 5 this year yet with schollie players.

If Banchero played on Syracuse and started and James came off the bench, how many loses would the team have? 0? 1? 2? Now I'm not saying Benny is as good as PB, but I'm not saying he isn't either. He is behind in his development to PB, but he has everything to be just as goo, including and especially his intelligence.
That's 10 steps too far right there.

Last night was literally the first time that Benny showed he deserved more minutes.
And due to that, I 144% agree - Benny SHOULD have gotten more run in the 2nd half.

But, Boeheim is a stubborn creature of habit.

And it is games like this (and G-Town) where that utter reliance on the starters - AFTER it was the bench guys who got you a nice lead in the 1st half -
is gonna be his and our downfall.

We are 7-6 7-7 and the players with the most FGA per game are Buddy (15.5) and Jimmy (11.9).

I agree Benny has been a mess in some early games, no doubt about it. So maybe it's not Benny that needed more run, but there has to be another avenue to make us better than having the ball be so dominated by those two.

Not agreeing/disagreeing with any one way of doing things. But this has seemed pre-ordained from the jump and this is where we all knew we would land.

Last edited:
We are 7-6 and the players with the most FGA per game are Buddy (15.5) and Jimmy (11.9).

I agree Benny has been a mess in some early games, no doubt about it. So maybe it's not Benny that needed more run, but there has to be another avenue to make us better than having the ball be so dominated by those two.

Not agreeing/disagreeing with any one way of doing things. But this has seemed pre-ordained from the jump and this is where we all knew we would land.
7-7 now :/

We are 7-6 and the players with the most FGA per game are Buddy (15.5) and Jimmy (11.9).

Would you have started Benny or played him significant minutes up to this point?

Would you have started Benny or played him significant minutes up to this point?

I am NOT pointing the finger at anyone, but I don't think he could have played a lot until he got calibrated correctly. Or at least closer to where he should be.

In the early games, no. He clearly was looking to score with a flat jumper versus being our do-everything guy and leveraging his athleticism. I don't think the solution was Benny playing more earlier. I do think some spot minutes here or there more than he got may have helped. But that is picking nits.

I do think the starting lineup could have been adjusted and still could be.

I think the shot distribution could have been different.

I wish we could fix the defense, but I don't think that's really doable outside of on the margins, so it would be to try to win games 89-88 versus lose them 88-87 type of thing.

Again, I would start Sy. Use Joe much more in off ball movement and try to get Jesse more touches.

Our defense would still be bad, but I think we can at least wear some teams down by having to chase Joe and having Sy maybe push the pace a bit.

I don't have an answer that I am fully confident can fix this team because I don't think the talent is there, frankly.

They are NOT comparable players. Benny is not in the top 5 for next year's draft. You outkicked your coverage.
Well, they could have got a really good player in the portal, but that spot is Benny's at some point. And I think he will end up being a high first round draft pick, just not this year.

James was brought in as a placeholder for Benny, to try to win some early games until Benny got up to speed. I fully expect to see Benny starting, maybe Saturday at Wake.
EL.OH.EL

Jimmy averaged 30.6 mpg his final year at Cornell. Here he is averaging 34.2 mpg.

On what planet does an Ivy League-caliber player increase their playing time going from Low/Mid-Major to Syracuse?

To be clear, I'm not saying Jimmy can't play at this level. He can. But in a rational world he should be in a 2010 Kris Joseph role playing 15-20 min or so off the bench to provide a spark.
He has more experience now! It's like a pay raise!

This is my concern with the starters being so bad and basically a terrible fit together on the basketball court our bench should be playing a ton more minutes. Outside of Buddy nobody on the roster screams they should be playing over 30 minutes a night. Even a shooter like Buddy could use a nice break in games. It is one thing to overplay the starters if they are good and dominating but our starting lineup is mediocre at best so the bench should be playing more minutes than those programs not less.

This goes back to the main flaw of recruiting and roster management. He purposely turned people away to not eat into his starter's minutes so he is sinking with them.

Gave you a like but its so sad that it's true. Years (decades?) ago JB said he'd rather play his best players at 80% efficiency then a bench player at 100%. Still true. To lazy to check Benny's numbers but what would his ppg be if he played say 20 minutes. And his +/- .
Benny is scoring 3.3 points per 20 minutes through 14 games.

Benny is scoring 3.3 points per 20 minutes through 14 games.
on 3.6 FGA.

Regardless, I don't think anyone is thinking he's the difference between a 7-7 record and a 12-2 record.

This team is flawed from 1-4 and repeating a lot of the same mistakes from previous seasons, only more so. Mainly square pegs in round holes and non-super star players getting lots of superstar minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom