A stat question from that game for Mike Waters next Q&A | Syracusefan.com

A stat question from that game for Mike Waters next Q&A

armory

All American
I would like to see what the record books have to say about teams when they:

1) Play a ranked opponent on the road.
2) Miss 40+ shots
3) Get out-rebounded.

I'd be shocked if it has ever happened before where the team won the game. I'd be shocked if it has come close to happening before where the team won. I'd be shocked if it has happened before where the team even came close to winning.

There is something to be said about that game. This team has extraordinary mental toughness & such a solid expectation of winning that it can do so while playing at its worst. This is invaluable in March where no team can realistically expect to do what UConn did last year and catch fire for 6 straight games. There will almost definitely be 1 or 2 games where nothing goes right and the team just can't execute... almost always these are the games that get teams eliminated from the tourney. If you can win these games, then your chances of reaching the final4 improve dramatically (re: GMAC vs. OKSt.).

1-29 outside the paint... If you told me that Dion's 3, 3 minutes into the game would be the last jumper we would hit and we would win... I'd tell you were ready for the loonie bin...

1-29 outside the paint... If you told me that Dion's 3, 3 minutes into the game would be the last jumper we would hit and we would win... I'd tell you were ready for the loonie bin...
It would be nice to see some stats of games where teams shot that poorly outside the paint, but I'm not sure just how much data there is in that category or how long that stat has been kept.

Funny, I have no idea of how to look this up, but there was one game I thought of; Loyola Marymount-Michigan in the 90 NCAA tourny. Granted, it wasn't a road game. Loyola missed 40 shots, got outrebounded 51-39, and won 149-115. Of course they missed 40 shots and shot 55%, so not exactly the same.

The stat that we made one basket outside the paint oe whatever it was and won is astonishing. Especially because it wasn't like we had Wilt Chamberlain in the post who was scoring everytime.

I would like to see what the record books have to say about teams when they:

1) Play a ranked opponent on the road.
2) Miss 40+ shots
3) Get out-rebounded.

I'd be shocked if it has ever happened before where the team won the game. I'd be shocked if it has come close to happening before where the team won. I'd be shocked if it has happened before where the team even came close to winning.

There is something to be said about that game. This team has extraordinary mental toughness & such a solid expectation of winning that it can do so while playing at its worst. This is invaluable in March where no team can realistically expect to do what UConn did last year and catch fire for 6 straight games. There will almost definitely be 1 or 2 games where nothing goes right and the team just can't execute... almost always these are the games that get teams eliminated from the tourney. If you can win these games, then your chances of reaching the final4 improve dramatically (re: GMAC vs. OKSt.).

Add that we were outscored at the Free throw line to mix as well.

Funny, I have no idea of how to look this up, but there was one game I thought of; Loyola Marymount-Michigan in the 90 NCAA tourny. Granted, it wasn't a road game. Loyola missed 40 shots, got outrebounded 51-39, and won 149-115. Of course they missed 40 shots and shot 55%, so not exactly the same.

The stat that we made one basket outside the paint oe whatever it was and won is astonishing. Especially because it wasn't like we had Wilt Chamberlain in the post who was scoring everytime.

I looked that 1990 tourney up and there were 9 teams who scored 100+ points that year! What?! I remember games being higher scoring back then because we used to win a lot more french fries... but I still don't remember why teams scored so much more. Older experienced players? Worse defense?

I looked that 1990 tourney up and there were 9 teams who scored 100+ points that year! What?! I remember games being higher scoring back then because we used to win a lot more french fries... but I still don't remember why teams scored so much more. Older experienced players? Worse defense?

How many of those were Loyola Marymount games? They are a huge outlier. They played a ridiculously fast paced style. In general though, even taking them out, I believe the pace of games, and naturally scoring, has been dropping. I have this theory, I don't know how true it is, but as we reach the point where all games are on tv, I think coaches are trying to put more of their fingerprint on games. So more called plays from the bench, more structure to the offense, less freewheeling, fast paced play. I think the NCAA shot clock should at least go to 30, get some more possessions in games.

Three games were Loyola-Marymount games. When they lost in the 4th round they gave up 131 to UNLV. Would love to see this SU team play another team with that tempo.

I think the NCAA shot clock should at least go to 30, get some more possessions in games.

Strongly agree. No team that takes a full 35 seconds is looking for a shot for the whole 35 seconds, there's too much stand-around-and-pass time to gain 5-10 seconds rest every possession.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom