A Thought on Dino's Contract | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

A Thought on Dino's Contract

Dino was in the power position at that time. We had lost forever. We believed in Dino and he just won 10 games and a bowl game. We had beat Clemson the year before and had them beat that year. It isn't fair at all to pretend that we could risk losing him then. Looking back now, of course it looks different.

Yep. The 2019 Maryland game erased a lot of people's memories. We say it all the time, but so much changed that day.

I don’t think any coach who comes in here without extensive knowledge of this program its predicament and short comings understands how difficult the job actually is. Nor did Dino regardless of what is said and I think it can be very frustrating.

not sure who the next coach will be but they better do a better job of trying to hire a coach with a plan on how to be successful at Syracuse in particular not just anywhere. There’s too many challenges here to not be prepared for them. At least Wildhack will understand what it’s going to take, not sure the guy that hired Dino did but I loved the hiring of Dino at the time.

it will be a tough hire but the knowledge of this program would be important to me, not just a guy that’s happy for the pay hike and to be a HC at a P5 program. find the guy who Knows exactly what they are getting into here and what their vision is to be successful and I think you might be on the right road as there is too big a learning curve with some hires. Could be a coach that has done well under similar circumstances as well, who has recruited in areas that aren’t hotspots, done more with less but show me the track record and demonstrated success.

If you can't find a coach with head coaching experience that meets the criteria. I would probably look towards White. At least he knows the landscape
there are two routes.

we have a dome, we will throw ALL the time

or we are in the northeast and we will develop northeastern kids and appeal to new york gym teachers who don't feel like watching kids throw in wet and windy weather

that is part of paying the man
Agreed and yes, it's transactional in nature. Buyer/ selller. Two parts to every deal, etc etc etc etc.

And yes we have to deal with it now, doesn't just go away unless you have some wealthy egomaniac willing to write a check to start over

there are two routes.

or we are in the northeast and we will develop northeastern kids and appeal to new york gym teachers who don't feel like watching kids throw in wet and windy weather

Probably need both. I think you need a guy who is 100% out of his mind on the offensive side and essentially a bit crazy ( leach 25 years ago)

or a smart calculated defensive coach that keeps a solid product on his side of the ball who is sharp enough to understand that you need to take risks and hire a solid offensive coordinator that can run a system that is sustainable over a period of time. D guy needs to be smart enough to replace them. Modern day Meathead with 3/4 brain. Thinking a guy like Dan Laning who is now the head coach at Oregon. I said LIKE. Just my opinion but I think guys like this prove to be the best head coaches overall. The crazy offense guys seem to get obsessed with their side of the ball and ignore the D too long and their upside seems limited after a period of time

All that said, they still need to understand the landscape at Syracuse and what they are getting into with regard to its limitations and how they plan on dealing with them. This is priority #1 and where I would start. Dude who has best plan here would be the guy who would go to the top of my list. Like I said, a guy who has proven he could do it? even better but it would be very tough to know without actually interviewing the candidates, it's not just picking some random dude who has won at the MAC level or who is from the Northeast

What we don't need is a FIGURE HEAD, CEO or a talking head and I have NO IDEA who this coach would be but I know what I would be looking for. It could be Coach White if he has a solid plan but don't know and I don't think anybody does but I truly believe that Wildhack would know at this point what could possibly work as he has witnessed it for 4-5 years now as the AD and followed the program forever

Last edited:
This is crazy cherry picking but I think it's fair.

First two years are another guys recruits that are mainly making the difference either way. A criticism of his good record at Bowling Green and Eastern Illinois was that he never showed he could recruit.

This is big time cherry picking but the covid year was extremely stupid. Coaches everywhere might look like they're not good recruiters because of the opt outs. Coaches lucky enough to not get opt outs look better than they really are.

So in the years where he had his recruits without a crazy year where players got to kick the can for a year, he's 26-22. 54%. And his strength of schedule is a little harder than Pasqualoni's and even more difficult than Marrone's

I know it's cherry picking. But I really do feel like the covid year was BS

Babers worst coaching comes in games where we're unlikely to win. I hate how he quits. It might predict that our record will suck in close games but it hasn't yet. 2-0 in games decided by 3. 1-3 in 2021. 1-0 in 2018 (two year gap - stupid covid and no 3pt games) 2-2 in 17. 6-6 record in really close games.

Maybe i should cut out the one really good year since that was Dungey. If I were making the case that Babers should go, that's what I'd want to do. Then he's 16-19.

Agreed and yes, it's transactional in nature. Buyer/ selller. Two parts to every deal, etc etc etc etc.

And yes we have to deal with it now, doesn't just go away unless you have some wealthy egomaniac willing to write a check to start over
our wealthy guy likes basketball more, buys palaces every week, and is big into crypto so i'm not counting on that $ ha

Probably need both. I think you need a guy who is 100% out of his mind on the offensive side and essentially a bit crazy ( leach 25 years ago)

or a smart calculated defensive coach that keeps a solid product on his side of the ball who is sharp enough to understand that you need to take risks and hire a solid offensive coordinator that can run a system that is sustainable over a period of time. D guy needs to be smart enough to replace them. Modern day Meathead with 3/4 brain. Thinking a guy like Dan Laning who is now the head coach at Oregon. I said LIKE. Just my opinion but I think guys like this prove to be the best head coaches overall. The crazy offense guys seem to get obsessed with their side of the ball and ignore the D too long and their upside seems limited after a period of time

All that said, they still need to understand the landscape at Syracuse and what they are getting into with regard to its limitations and how they plan on dealing with them. This is priority #1 and where I would start. Dude who has best plan here would be the guy who would go to the top of my list. Like I said, a guy who has proven he could do it? even better but it would be very tough to know without actually interviewing the candidates, it's not just picking some random dude who has won at the MAC level or who is from the Northeast

What we don't need is a FIGURE HEAD, CEO or a talking head and I have NO IDEA who this coach would be but I know what I would be looking for. It could be Coach White if he has a solid plan but don't know and I don't think anybody does but I truly believe that Wildhack would know at this point what could possibly work as he has witnessed it for 4-5 years now as the AD and followed the program forever
If the criteria were a safe, not old, competent proven head coach who can recruit a qb to play here, tim lester fits. he's had enough time away from cubit i suppose

(disastrous QB situation this year though)

we are going to need big buyouts to attract anyone after berbers, fact of life here. you want someone experienced to come here, you better feel secure that they're gonna be here a while because they're going to need guarantees

This is crazy cherry picking but I think it's fair.

First two years are another guys recruits that are mainly making the difference either way. A criticism of his good record at Bowling Green and Eastern Illinois was that he never showed he could recruit.

This is big time cherry picking but the covid year was extremely stupid. Coaches everywhere might look like they're not good recruiters because of the opt outs. Coaches lucky enough to not get opt outs look better than they really are.

So in the years where he had his recruits without a crazy year where players got to kick the can for a year, he's 26-22. 54%. And his strength of schedule is a little harder than Pasqualoni's and even more difficult than Marrone's

I know it's cherry picking. But I really do feel like the covid year was BS

Babers worst coaching comes in games where we're unlikely to win. I hate how he quits. It might predict that our record will suck in close games but it hasn't yet. 2-0 in games decided by 3. 1-3 in 2021. 1-0 in 2018 (two year gap - stupid covid and no 3pt games) 2-2 in 17. 6-6 record in really close games.

Maybe i should cut out the one really good year since that was Dungey. If I were making the case that Babers should go, that's what I'd want to do. Then he's 16-19.

I don't disagree and think I am at the point that I don't know when Babers will be replaced but he certainly will be at some point in the next few years. He's just not good enough to be truly successful here and is living on the razor's edge from year to year starting next year

But when hiring a new HC, please do OVERTHINK IT. Obviously, they would hire a coach who was successful at some level somewhere whether it be a coordinator or a HC but will that success carry over at Syracuse? That is the biggest issue because I think the answer to most would be NO it would not

Last edited:
I don't disagree and think I am at the point that I don't know when Babers will be replaced but he certainly will be at some point in the next few years. He's just not good enough to be truly successful here and is living on the razor's edge from year to year starting next year

I always figured we could just slide Bronco into the role, his favorite staff members are here, and I'm sure he'd be ok with keeping White and the 3-3-5 D.

But his name is popping up with Nebraska and Arizona State, probably will with Colorado too. If he ends up at one of them, does he come calling on one or both of his former offensive staff?

Hope not. 5th OC in 8 years is not ideal for our CEO.

I always figured we could just slide Bronco into the role, his favorite staff members are here, and I'm sure he'd be ok with keeping White and the 3-3-5 D.

But his name is popping up with Nebraska and Arizona State, probably will with Colorado too. If he ends up at one of them, does he come calling on one or both of his former offensive staff?

I think he would go after Beck and promote to OC if anyone but just my opinion

one thing i know is what they shouldn't do and that is to listen to a weird fired jets coach who's never been to syracuse recommending his college roommate

one thing i know is what they shouldn't do and that is to listen to a weird fired jets coach who's never been to syracuse recommending his college roommate

Yeah not best path to go down. A search on career builder probably would have been better

enlightened meathead isn't a unicorn but it's close, maybe a unicycle, you've seen them but not very often

enlightened meathead isn't a unicorn but it's close, maybe a unicycle, you've seen them but not very often

agreed and that's my whole point with what they truly need to uncover for a coach to be successful here.

I think we need a HC with an OL background. They can ID OL recruits and also coach them up.

Look at what Marrone did here. He also left Shafer with plenty on the OL. It is what got us to a Bowl that year. We haven’t had as much talent since. That has been what holds us back. With better coaching we are 8-5 that year with fewer blowouts too.

Also going back further the mad scientist DeLeone was able to piece together an OL. We need something like that.

If he has a decent year next season, I wouldn’t mind Moorhead as HC and Addazio as OLC. I think that could work.

Also why not consider Outten along with Addazio as OLC? Outten has our system from 2012. He has NFL game planning experience. He knows OL. He would have Addazio who understands SUs limitations, knows how to run a program, knows Northeast recruiting, and knows OL.

I think we need a HC with an OL background. They can ID OL recruits and also coach them up.

Look at what Marrone did here. He also left Shafer with plenty on the OL. It is what got us to a Bowl that year. We haven’t had as much talent since. That has been what holds us back. With better coaching we are 8-5 that year with fewer blowouts too.

Also going back further the mad scientist DeLeone was able to piece together an OL. We need something like that.

If he has a decent year next season, I wouldn’t mind Moorhead as HC and Addazio as OLC. I think that could work.

Also why not consider Outten along with Addazio as OLC? Outten has our system from 2012. He has NFL game planning experience. He knows OL. He would have Addazio who understands SUs limitations, knows how to run a program, knows Northeast recruiting, and knows OL.

Not saying HC. A&M was fine hiring him.

even if you don't cherry pick, babers has a better SRS than marrone.

SRS says marrone was exactly average. SRS of 0. Babers .28 points better than average, rounding makes them the same

people like marrone because they extrapolate the 2012 trend and imagine what could've been

even if you don't cherry pick, babers has a better SRS than marrone.

SRS says marrone was exactly average. SRS of 0. Babers .28 points better than average, rounding makes them the same

people like marrone because they extrapolate the 2012 trend and imagine what could've been

Was talking more OL and not overall. Dino’s OL have stunk and he isn’t bringing in kids who can play. It is impossible to have consistency with the OLs we have had.

there are two routes.

Doesn't a pass-heavy offense require big, agile linemen that are in short supply and in demand by all the factories? I'm starting to understand why Deleone went all in on 300 different blocking schemes. It's easier to find big nerds who only need to hold their block for half a second if they can confuse the other guys by being multiple.