A thought on Ewing G-town. | Syracusefan.com

A thought on Ewing G-town.

Jake

Mod
for those of us old enough to remember, back in the 80s, Big Bad John put a rule into place that his freshmen would not be allowed to talk to the press.

It happened to coincide with Ewing's freshman year. Thompson took a lot of heat for doing it. That action fueled the "Hoya Paranoia" vibe and also indirectly led to the "Ewing can't read" stuff that began appearing in opposing arenas. People thought John was protecting a poorly educated kid that didn't deserve to be in college. The real reason was probably to ease Ewing into college without being a media circus for what we now know was somewhat of a shy kid at the time.

Fast forward to this year, where first year coach Ewing, hand picked to a degree by John, again is being allowed to ease his way into coaching...much like he was as a player.

1982: "It's okay Patrick, you don't have to talk to the media, you're special."

2017: "It's okay Patrick, you don't have to play any tough games out of conference, you're special. We'll even back out of the most prestigious pre-season tournament in the history of college hoops."

For someone whose persona was big bad Patrick...he's certainly been coddled an awful lot in his career.

______ Willow.

During his recruitment out of Cambridge Rindge and Latin School, Ewing's advisors came up with a list of conditions that schools had to agree to to even be considered.

One of those was that the school had to agree to give Patrick all tests verbally since Patrick had a problem with writing especially against a time limit. This and some of the other conditions caused a lot of people to draw the conclusion that Patrick was "academically-challenged".

That rep stuck with him especially in the minds of the fans of the schools that Patrick spurned. (I don't think SU was one of them.)

During his recruitment out of Cambridge Rindge and Latin School, Ewing's advisors came up with a list of conditions that schools had to agree to to even be considered.

One of those was that the school had to agree to give Patrick all tests verbally since Patrick had a problem with writing especially against a time limit. This and some of the other conditions caused a lot of people to draw the conclusion that Patrick was "academically-challenged".

That rep stuck with him especially in the minds of the fans of the schools that Patrick spurned. (I don't think SU was one of them.)

Just ahead of his time. That sort of accommodation is much more prevalent today. Lots of students admitted through regular admissions processes - having nothing to do with athletics - receive accommodations like this, including at Ivy League schools.

Just ahead of his time. That sort of accommodation is much more prevalent today. Lots of students admitted through regular admissions processes - having nothing to do with athletics - receive accommodations like this, including at Ivy League schools.

But it was unusual for the time and I always thought that general knowledge of this
led to the assumption he "couldn't reed this shirt."

As to the approach, one of my son's friends got into Duke via this route. He was a lacrosse player. Four years after graduating from Duke he was an assistant gym teacher at a middle school.

I only have respect for Ewing (and I'm not even a Knicks fan). He's done everything asked of him except win an NBA title, and for that he came damn close. He was a warrior in his NBA career. Showed up every night, and played in pain much of the time. He was never a prima donna. Never had an off court controversy that I can remember. To say that he's been coddled is just silly.He's waited his turn to coach and put in the time. Now he gets his shot.

Having said all that -- It's 1:12 pm, and Georgetown still sucks.

I only have respect for Ewing (and I'm not even a Knicks fan). He's done everything asked of him except win an NBA title, and for that he came damn close. He was a warrior in his NBA career. Showed up every night, and played in pain much of the time. He was never a prima donna. Never had an off court controversy that I can remember. To say that he's been coddled is just silly.He's waited his turn to coach and put in the time. Now he gets his shot.

Having said all that -- It's 1:12 pm, and Georgetown still sucks.
Saying he has been coddled has nothing to do with disrespect/hatred. Have you seen their OOC sked? It's been universally mocked as being the softest anyone has ever seen.

Saying he has been coddled has nothing to do with disrespect/hatred. Have you seen their OOC sked? It's been universally mocked as being the softest anyone has ever seen.

The Georgetown OOC schedule has always been a cakewalk --St. Leo's, Howard, and whoever else. How is Ewing responsible for that? He's never been in a decision=making position before.

As good a conference as the new Big East, it's not the old Big East. Georgetown will have SOS issues if they don't toughen up their OOC.

I don't know if it's still the case, but SU was stipulated to play a few New York schools in order to receive some state monies to renovate the Dome a decade or two ago. Some of these scheduling decisions are made outside of the athletic departments.

Have they played a single opponent with a winning record?

Not one G'town opponent has a winning record.

G'town's SOS is ranked 351 our of 351.

Last edited:
Sorry -- but I grew up a Knicks fan. Patrick Ewing is my all-time favorite player.

Hated Ewing at Georgetown. Grew to like and respect him as a member of my Knickerbockers.
His stints in the NBA included a long run here in Charlotte, where I’d sometimes run into him at restaurants and the like. We’d go back and forth about GTown and the Cuse, the death of the OBE, and the state of the Knicks. The wife just loves him.
I can say unequivocally that he’s one of the nicest, gracious, we’ll-spoken, and intelligent b-ball folks I’ve ever talked to. Not to mention highly respected by everyone that’s come into contact w/ him.
I loathe GTown, but having Patrick there will only make them better, much like what Mullin’s doing at St. John’s.
Gtown is playing a cupcake schedule this first year, which is just being smart, IMO. He’ll do well at Gtown moving forward.

Hated Ewing at Georgetown. Grew to like and respect him as a member of my Knickerbockers.
His stints in the NBA included a long run here in Charlotte, where I’d sometimes run into him at restaurants and the like. We’d go back and forth about GTown and the Cuse, the death of the OBE, and the state of the Knicks. The wife just loves him.
I can say unequivocally that he’s one of the nicest, gracious, we’ll-spoken, and intelligent b-ball folks I’ve ever talked to. Not to mention highly respected by everyone that’s come into contact w/ him.
I loathe GTown, but having Patrick there will only make them better, much like what Mullin’s doing at St. John’s.
Gtown is playing a cupcake schedule this first year, which is just being smart, IMO. He’ll do well at Gtown moving forward.

Post of the thread(along with Delmar's). JB likely has played more cupcakes than total games some coaches have had in their career. It's one season, people should give the guy a break and maybe wait a bit? I mean, I wonder how my man Fab would have done in class back in Ewing's day when athletes were a bit less of demigods than they are today?

JB's coached 40+ years and had a single digit lead with under 5 minutes to go against this Colgate team in the Carrier Dome. I think Ewing has the potential to match that if he's around that long. I'd bet money on it.

I know Gtown traditionally plays a soft schedule, but this is like another level.

Just to show bad it is. The Big East has a balanced schedule. 8 of its teams have have a projected top 36 schedule at the end of the season, Depaul at 55.. Georgetown is at another level at #100.

upload_2017-12-9_17-3-14.png

Post of the thread(along with Delmar's). JB likely has played more cupcakes than total games some coaches have had in their career. It's one season, people should give the guy a break and maybe wait a bit? I mean, I wonder how my man Fab would have done in class back in Ewing's day when athletes were a bit less of demigods than they are today?

JB's coached 40+ years and had a single digit lead with under 5 minutes to go against this Colgate team in the Carrier Dome. I think Ewing has the potential to match that if he's around that long. I'd bet money on it.
Probably not. He probably won't last 5 years. but it's always good to see a "Syracuse fan" support the Hoyas.

Oh,and this Colgate team had a second half lead of 17 pts against the team that beat the #1 team in the country today.

Oh,and this Colgate team had a second half lead of 17 pts against the team that beat the #1 team in the country today.

lol what

(Didn't know duke lost till I Read your post)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom