A thought on Ewing G-town. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A thought on Ewing G-town.

Post of the thread(along with Delmar's). JB likely has played more cupcakes than total games some coaches have had in their career. It's one season, people should give the guy a break and maybe wait a bit? I mean, I wonder how my man Fab would have done in class back in Ewing's day when athletes were a bit less of demigods than they are today?

JB's coached 40+ years and had a single digit lead with under 5 minutes to go against this Colgate team in the Carrier Dome. I think Ewing has the potential to match that if he's around that long. I'd bet money on it.
The Colgate that led by double digits at Duke slayer B.C.?

This thread is odd.

There is no correlation to JTII coddling Patrick with the media as a teenager and this. OP is saying Patrick was treated with kid gloves and now he's doing the same with his team (both true) but there is no real correlation. Basically calling him the p-word that rhymes with "wussy?" Ewing was a very tough college player and pro.

The Hoyas' schedule is horrendous, no doubt about that but it is a smart strategy. Aren't we the same fan base that rightfully thinks our football program should schedule lighter as we try to become a respectable program again?

And why are some folks mocking BC? They smashed us by 30 last year in our first game with them.

We hopefully will beat the Hoyas on Saturday but have you guys who are mocking them even seen them play? Their backcourt turns the ball over and they are not a great team but their frontcourt is really good. Govan is a beast. Derrickson is solid. Jahvon Blair is a talented frosh off the bench. On paper, this could be a very tough game, even though it's hard to guage them because they haven't played anyone. I hope we smash them but I'll sign up for a win. Ths is our first road game. Never easy with a young team.

Odd thread, which is another way of me saying... Awful thread.

Last edited:
So about the same as Pitt's durng the Dixon's years.

Not one G'town opponent has a winning record and have a comb

G'town's SOS is ranked 351 our of 351.

I don't know if it's still the case, but SU was stipulated to play a few New York schools in order to receive some state monies to renovate the Dome a decade or two ago.
The dome was already renovated? What exactly was this?

This thread is odd.

There is no correlation to JTII coddling Patrick with the media as a teenager and this. OP is saying Patrick was treated with kid gloves and now he's doing the same with his team (both true) but there is no real correlation. Basically calling him the p-word that rhymes with "wussy?" Ewing was a very tough college player and pro.

The Hoyas' schedule is horrendous, no doubt about that but it is a smart strategy. Aren't we the same fan base that rightfully thinks our football program should schedule lighter as we try to become a respectable program again?

And why are some folks mocking BC? They smashed us by 30 last year in our first game with them.

We hopefully will beat the Hoyas on Saturday but have you guys who are mocking them even seen them play? Their backcourt turns the ball over and they are not a great team but their frontcourt is really good. Govan is a beast. Derrickson is solid. Jahvon Blair is a talented frosh off the bench. On paper, this could be a very tough game, even though it's hard to guage them because they haven't played anyone. I hope we smash them but I'll sign up for a win. Ths is our first road game. Never easy with a young team.

Lol. I'll make sure I have you pre-approve my posts going forward.

It was merely a post to point out that Ewing was coddled and has been allowed to coddle his first schedule. You sorta agreed right? The last part was purely a joke. The _____ willow thing as been a running gag around here for years. You might wanna lighten up a bit and not take every thread as life and death.

It's a Syracuse message board and I took a gratuitous shot at Georgetown.

Oh the horror!!

Last edited:

It was merely a post to point out that Ewing was coddled and has been allowed to coddle his first schedule. You sorta agreed right? The last part was purely a joke. The _____ willow thing as been a running gag around here for years. You might wanna lighten up a bit and not take every thread as life and death.

It's a Syracuse message board and I took a gratuitous shot at Georgetown.

Oh the horror!!
Never did I think I'd see so many Syracuse fans coming to the defense of Patrick Ewing. 2017 is some crazy ish.

It was merely a post to point out that Ewing was coddled and has been allowed to coddle his first schedule. You sorta agreed right? The last part was purely a joke. The _____ willow thing as been a running gag around here for years. You might wanna lighten up a bit and not take every thread as life and death. It's a Syracuse message board and I took a gratuitous shot at Georgetown.

Oh the horror!!

Where did I say you have to get my approval? Seems like you're the one who needs to lighten up. I'll ask for your approval to challenge you going forward. It's very obvious you're not used to anyone disagreeing with you. Oh, the horror!!

Most of my points weren't even about your post but I'm not surprised you only reacted to my comments about your post. Not surprised in the least.

Bad post, sir. My opinion.

Where did I say you have to get my approval? Seems like you're the one who needs to lighten up. I'll ask for your approval to challenge you going forward. It's very obvious you're not used to anyone disagreeing with you. Oh, the horror!!

Most of my points weren't even about your post but I'm not surprised you only reacted to my comments about your post. Not surprised in the least.

Bad post, sir. My opinion.

Eh. People disagree with me a lot. I don't care. But I don't think I'd ever tell someone they posted an "awful thread". It's got a whole different condescending vibe than just a differing of opinions.

What's an awful thread? Who says it's awful? Is there a committee? Was there a vote?

Eh. People disagree with me a lot. I don't care. But I don't think I'd ever tell someone they posted an "awful thread". It's got a whole different condescending vibe than just a differing of opinions.

What's an awful thread? Who says it's awful? Is there a committee? Was there a vote?

"The thread" means a bunch of the posts. That's why I had paragraphs and addressed different things...ie: your criticisms of Ewing, the harping on about the obviously weak Georgetown schedule, our fans ripping BC who creamed us last year and the lack of respect our fans have for a Georgetown team who does have some talent, including a fantastic center. You chose to latch onto my thoughts on what you said.

I said the thread was awful. I don't need a vote to do so. It's my opinion. On a message board. Like you said, it's only a message board. Oh, the irony!!

This will be my last response. Keep up the snark. It needs work. Practice makes perfect though.

"The thread" means a bunch of the posts. That's why I had paragraphs and addressed different things...ie: your criticisms of Ewing, the harping on about the obviously weak Georgetown schedule, our fans ripping BC who creamed us last year and the lack of respect our fans have for a Georgetown team who does have some talent, including a fantastic center. You chose to latch onto my thoughts on what you said.

Ok. Fair point. I interpreted it differently.

The dichotomy which is Ewing is very difficult for this fanbase to digest. His college career is easy to dislike for all of us. Problem is his pro career - he played for the Knicks. Likely the most popular NBA team for SU fans. It's just hard to parse. As I am not a Knick fan, it's easy to rip him.

This thread is odd.

Funny, when I said something similar, I had some smart asses mocking me, right before I unfortunately couldnt post any more for the day.

Anyhow, we are both experiencing VINDICATION, brother. I dont think some of these people understand the cause/effect relationship, or remember how many of Boeheim's wins came against cupcakes.

Im not rooting for Georgetown the way some clown tried to say, but these claims about Ewing are ridiculous. I'd love to have a Cuse player do anything close to what he did for the Knicks in the NBA. I dont expect Melo to come back and coach to a halftime lead vs Georgetown either. Hopefully the team bails some of you out from even more embarrassment! LGO!

Funny, when I said something similar, I had some smart asses mocking me, right before I unfortunately couldnt post any more for the day.

Anyhow, we are both experiencing VINDICATION, brother. I dont think some of these people understand the cause/effect relationship, or remember how many of Boeheim's wins came against cupcakes.

Im not rooting for Georgetown the way some clown tried to say, but these claims about Ewing are ridiculous. I'd love to have a Cuse player do anything close to what he did for the Knicks in the NBA. I dont expect Melo to come back and coach to a halftime lead vs Georgetown either. Hopefully the team bails some of you out from even more embarrassment! LGO!

Melo’s pro career has been similar to Ewing’s.

And Melo’s large financial donation to get an elite practice facility built and vocal public support of the program is plenty.

Melo’s pro career has been similar to Ewing’s.

And Melo’s large financial donation to get an elite practice facility built and vocal public support of the program is plenty.

I had more fun watching Melo with the Nuggets than Knicks, but thats not what the thread is about. That facility is nice, but isnt the same as being in the Title Belt equation nearly annually, and later coaching his team to a double digit lead in the 2nd half vs a hated rival, and making a mockery of threads like this.

I even did the obligatory disclaimer toward Jake when disagreeing by letting him know even Michael Jordan had off games. What more do you people want from me? lol

Last edited:
I had more fun watching Melo with the Nuggets than Knicks, but thats not what the thread is about. That facility is nice, but isnt the same as coaching his team to a double digit lead in the 2nd half vs a hated rival, and making a mockery of threads like this.

Agree, though Melo was pretty great in 2013 and 14 for the Knicks. Unfortunately the Knicks organization was pretty poor by then. Oakley, Mason, Starks...savvy moves to get those guys. Mark Jackson was pretty good early on, then they usually had a solid vet PG like Doc Rivers or Derek Harper. They built strong teams back then. Not so much with Melo.

I can’t knock anything about Ewing or Melo. Hall of fame players that have given plenty to their schools.

Ewing making better halftime adjustments than a HOF coach... yeah, he's terrible. Even Boeheim ripped the basis of this thread apart.

Think we need to stop making fun of our rivals in all sports because they are all passing us by.

WHAT IS A HOYA?

182083.jpeg

182012.jpeg

Many years ago, when all Georgetown students were required to study Greek and Latin, the University's teams were nicknamed "The Stonewalls." It is suggested that a student, using Greek and Latin terms, started the cheer "Hoya Saxa!", which translates into "What Rocks!" The name proved popular and the term "Hoyas" was eventually adopted for all Georgetown teams.

Mascot

Learn more about Jack

This is Jack the Bulldog. Jack is our mascot. Georgetown has had a number of mascots in its more than 200-year existence. Among the earliest mascots was a terrier named Stubby, whose name is largely unfamiliar today but was perhaps the most famous dog of his generation. The dog served 18 months on the front with his regiment in World War I, saving his regiment from surprise mustard gas attacks, locating wounded soldiers, and even catching a German spy by the seat of his pants. Such exploits made the front page of newspapers back home, and after Stubby's last battle at Chateau-Thierry, France, he was outfitted with a blanket with the medals and honors awarded him for bravery, with flags of all the Allied Nations of the war.

Following Stubby, a terrier named, appropriately, "Hoya," became a fan favorite. Hoya belonged to Rev. Vincent McDonough, S.J., Moderator of Athletics and namesake of McDonough Gymnasium. This terrier was frequently seen at Georgetown football games in the 1920's and 1930's. A Great Dane named "Butch" became the team's unofficial mascot during the 1940's, but as Georgetown suspended football in 1951, the tradition of live mascots ended. Years later, the name of "Jack" and the breed of English Bulldog was formally adopted in 1962, adding the blue and gray cap once worn by freshmen onto its emblem.

Students maintained pet bulldogs as mascots into the early 1970's. By 1979, Georgetown was one of the first schools to employ a "human mascot," a student in the now familiar blue and gray bulldog suit. "Jack" now appears at major athletic and social events, and is among the most recognizable college mascots in the nation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom