A thought on Ewing G-town. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

A thought on Ewing G-town.

As I said, odd thread. Ewing is doing a great job. Great comeback by Syracuse against a great front court and a solid team.
I have no idea what kind of job Ewing is doing. I think any coach on our staff could have been unbeaten against that schedule.

The dichotomy which is Ewing is very difficult for this fanbase to digest. His college career is easy to dislike for all of us. Problem is his pro career - he played for the Knicks. Likely the most popular NBA team for SU fans. It's just hard to parse. As I am not a Knick fan, it's easy to rip him.
He was awful as a Knick. Made me a hater and even Carmelo couldn't totally win me back. Of course horrendous ownership and GMs and coaching didn't hurt.

He was awful as a Knick.

This is one of the dumbest statements I have seen on this forum. All team Knick leader in just about everything, played with a bunch of nobodies and kept that team relevant for well over a decade. But he was awful with the Knicks? Unbelievable any so called Knick fan or half a Knick fan can say something that stupid..

He was awful as a Knick. Made me a hater and even Carmelo couldn't totally win me back. Of course horrendous ownership and GMs and coaching didn't hurt.
Rarely stated opinion which I agree with. 7 foot jump stooter, who was out of position for offensive boards just by virtue of his offensive game. Could not compete against elite centers.

Rarely stated opinion which I agree with. 7 foot jump stooter, who was out of position for offensive boards just by virtue of his offensive game. Could not compete against elite centers.

See my post above. Some of you people should stick with college bball and not try to follow the NBA.

GREATEST KNICK OF ALL TIME - PERIOD.

This is one of the dumbest statements I have seen on this forum. All team Knick leader in just about everything, played with a bunch of nobodies and kept that team relevant for well over a decade. But he was awful with the Knicks? Unbelievable any so called Knick fan or half a Knick fan can say something that stupid..
Not a dumb statement. A good assessment. Very over rated. "Stupid"?! That is the kind of comment which gives message boards a bad name. Your response is ignorant in my opinion. Be civil. Disagree. Ewing was what kept the Knicks from going from good to great. He was a focal point for the team, but also created an ability cap at a position which was much more important then, than it is now. Seven footers who position themselves twenty feet from the baskey create difficulties. Nobodies? SMH.

Not a dumb statement. A good assessment. Very over rated. "Stupid"?! That is the kind of comment which gives message boards a bad name. Your response is ignorant in my opinion. Be civil. Disagree. Ewing was what kept the Knicks from going from good to great. He was a focal point for the team, but also created an ability cap at a position which was much more important then, than it is now. Seven footers who position themselves twenty feet from the baskey create difficulties. Nobodies? SMH.

Calling Patrick Ewing "awful" as a Knick is an ignorant statement. Therefore my use of "stupid" is justified. I am not going to go back and forth on this - I get this is a Syracuse board where people will despise Ewing for playing at GTown, fine. Ask any of Ewing's mediocre teammates if they think he was such an "awful" Knick and see their reaction. I won't bother recite all the stats, accomplishments, and accolades. Most real Knick fans would call you and the other poster a lot worse than "stupid" for making ignorant statements about one of the top 50 players of all time.

Might not use the same words, but TOTALLY agree with this.
NY Knick fans are "supposed" to be some of the most knowledgeable, but this idea that Ewing was ever a cause of the wasteland that that team has been in for DECADES...I repeat DECADES, is borderline moronic, IMO.
NYK/MSG management is/was some of the worst in professional sports history. They wasted Bernard King, Melo, and yes...Patrick Ewing, at their peaks. The next guy who'll eventually have to endure the idiocy of some Knick fans will be Porzingis, you can book it.
Meanwhile Dolan, unless he totally removes himself from the scene, will still be there to sully whatever progress the franchise tries to make.
Ewing was a warrior, and that's not a cliche. I love my Knickerbockers, but he, Bernard, and Melo, all deserved much better than the impatient, unreasonable, bitter, and angry fans that make up a segment of the Knicks fanbase.

Last edited:
Might not use the same words, but TOTALLY agree with this.
NY Knick fans are "supposed" to be some of the most knowledgeable, but this idea that Ewing was ever a cause of the wasteland that that team has been in for DECADES...I repeat DECADES, is borderline moronic, IMO.
NYK/MSG management is/was some of the worst in professional sports history. They wasted Bernard King, Melo, and yes...Patrick Ewing, at their peaks. The next guy who'll eventually have to endure the idiocy of some Knick fans will be Porzingis, you can book it.
Meanwhile Dolan, unless he totally removes himself from the scene, will still be there to sully whatever progress the franchise tries to make.
Ewing was a warrior, and that's not a cliche. I love my Knickerbockers, but he, Bernard, and Melo, all deserved much better that the impatient, unreasonable, bitter, and angry fans that make up a segment of the Knicks fanbase.
I base much of my hatred of Ewing on his personality or lack thereof. Even my G-town buddy admits Ewing is an unpleasant person. He told me about a friend of his who went on one of those basketball weekends where pros of all types are paid to schmooze with the paying customers, give them tips on how to improve their game (HORSE I presume or three on three or rec league type ball) etc. His friend said all the pros were really nice except Ewing who was a "surly b-tard" and his friend was also a G-town alum.

You contrast that with the personality of Carmelo Anthony. It's 180 degrees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom