ACC Atlantic | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Atlantic

To be perfectly honest, we haven't been up to the challenge of the Big East schedule for the last seven years. So the quality of the opponents in either league is ample. Nice to have BC and Maryland back on the schedule; nice to play the formerly elite FSU; but I don't find Wake, Clemson and NC St. any more exciting than our current Big East opponents.

Wake - Last year was a fun game.

Clemson - On the upswing and a much bigger name than current Big East teams. Will be a much better draw.

N.C. State - It will be fun, for nostalgia's sake, to play Opie again.

And we'll be up to the challenge once we are able to more fully leverage the fact that we are going to be in the ACC. It takes a few years to recruit kids - see Wayne Morgan.

Now, now...we Virginians are loving this switch to the ACC, but we lost our home game at the Verizon Center. The least we should have gotten in the trade were regular games in Charlottesville and/or Blacksburg.

We don't have our home game in the Verizon Center this year. There's really no guarantee in this giant mess we're leaving. That home and home with G'Town obviously wasn't a priority with the league.

This is a good situation for football. I would have liked to play our old BE foes VT and Miami rather than Clemson and Florida State, but playing BC, Pitt and Terps every year will be great.

We don't have our home game in the Verizon Center this year. There's really no guarantee in this giant mess we're leaving. That home and home with G'Town obviously wasn't a priority with the league.
I'll miss the Verizon Center but Georgetown got what they wanted, i.e. for SU fans not to outnumber Georgetown fans at home. Personally, I think that would be a great site for the ACC tournament if they ever go to a rotation system. Of course I'm not biased in the least even if it is the closest place for me to see a game.

I'll miss the Verizon Center but Georgetown got what they wanted, i.e. for SU fans not to outnumber Georgetown fans at home. Personally, I think that would be a great site for the ACC tournament if they ever go to a rotation system. Of course I'm not biased in the least even if it is the closest place for me to see a game.

ACC tourney was at Verizon one year recently so there is precedent.

I don't get the BBall matchups. Why have Pitt and MD together? Wouldn't it have made more sense having SU/MD and Pitt/BC or SU/Pitt and BC/MD? SU is the biggest name team and they put us with the worse BBall program. Did SU request BC? I rather see the ACC push either MD or Pitt to be SU's rival in FB and BBall (add Lax with MD too). Sorry but BC will never be our rival in either sport.

The subtitle of this should be "Or How I Stopped Worrying About Being Stuck In A Dead-End Conference (And Having My Coaching Staff Depart En Masse) And Learned To Love TO HATE Florida State."

Fixed it.

At first glance, I would have preferred Pitt and SU be flipped. Reigniting the rivalries with Miami and VT would have been fun to watch. As I am a fan of true rivalries encompassing all sports, playing NC and Duke each year in football also would have been nice.

That said, I am not unhappy with SU's placement (I am not sure if this is because of the strength of the ACC or weakness of the BE). I already hate FSU after spending a year in Coral Gables, so I am going to enjoy that game. While I would have liked the playing VT each year, I am not overly disappointed we are not playing them either.

Now the ACC just needs to figure out a way to launch its own cable network so all of the football games will be broadcast nationally.

I don't get the BBall matchups. Why have Pitt and MD together? Wouldn't it have made more sense having SU/MD and Pitt/BC or SU/Pitt and BC/MD? SU is the biggest name team and they put us with the worse BBall program. Did SU request BC? I rather see the ACC push either MD or Pitt to be SU's rival in FB and BBall (add Lax with MD too). Sorry but BC will never be our rival in either sport.

Gottlieb was partially behind this. He wanted us to keep our "cupcake" schedule so he didn't have to change up his rants.

I rather play just about every team from the other side.

Miami > FSU
VT > Clemson
UVA > MD
GA Tech > BC
UNC > NC St
Duke < Wake

I rather play just about every team from the other side.

Miami > FSU
VT > Clemson
UVA > MD
GA Tech > BC
UNC > NC St
Duke < Wake

Well, we will be playing teams from the Coastal, just not annually.

For recruiting purposes I think it's MUCH better to be playing BC and Maryland. Those two, along with Pitt, means that SU will be playing at least 7-8 games a year in the northeast. That easy access for recruits and their family is important given that we are moving to a southern-leaning conference.

Meanwhile, we have a history with Miami and VaTech, but that history only ran about 12 years. It's not like there was anything "natural" to those rivalries. We had rivalries with those schools because SU was damn good for most of those 12 years, so we played games where there was something on the line. If SU were to get back to that kind of Graves/McNabb-era level, and assuming FSU and Clemson are good too, we'll develop the same kind of performance-based "rivalry" with those schools in the future.

Any chance the ACC would rotate its B-Ball tournament to the Nets new arena in Brooklyn every few years?

Never mind just saw this...

"The Atlantic 10 Conference has announced that the Barclays Center will be the new home of the conference's mens basketball tournament beginning in 2013"

Any chance the ACC would rotate its B-Ball tournament to the Nets new arena in Brooklyn every few years?

Never mind just saw this...

"The Atlantic 10 Conference has announced that the Barclays Center will be the new home of the conference's mens basketball tournament beginning in 2013"
The only conference that can come remotely close to selling out a post season tournament in NYC is the ACC.

The Atlantic 10 has no fans. Period.

The Big East has almost no fans. Only UConn would bring a couple of thousand fans, and that is only for the semi and finals and that is only if they have had a dominating season.

If MSG or Brooklyn had a chance to host an ACC tournament, I would think they would jump at the chance. It is all about the money with these things.

UVa is a great place to spend a weekend in the fall, enjoy it. Or if we (heaven forbid) get the bus back together again feel free to pay to ride with the DC/Va crowd.
my goodness are you saying we may get the band/bus back together?! Hide the women and children!

The women made the best drinks!

You NoVA guys all should have more money now...I formally request you bring a Coleman Tailgate grill vs that evil, cheap portable grill I spent an hour trying to build while reading the "Engrish Assemble Instrictions".

The Big East (new and old) had some interesting cities to visit but the ACC will blow them away as we move away from commuter schools and towards schools with Quads, traditions and on campus tailgating.

The SunBeast continues to serve up a mish-mash of NFL stadiums, glorified Texas HS stadiums and stadiums located miles from the campus. I will miss trips future to Beale Street, Coronado and Ybor but now we get Hotlanta, South Beach, Faneuil Hall and the Carolinas for our fans. Throw in real campuses to visit on gameday...win for us.

Mark - I do, but also have more kids. A lot more.

I actually bid on a nice tailgate setup with that grille that compacts and travels with UVa lax and such in mind at a school function , but got +$1 on it at the 11th hour. That being said when it's time we'll be ready to go.

You NoVA guys all should have more money now...I formally request you bring a Coleman Tailgate grill vs that evil, cheap portable grill I spent an hour trying to build while reading the "Engrish Assemble Instrictions".

The Big East (new and old) had some interesting cities to visit but the ACC will blow them away as we move away from commuter schools and towards schools with Quads, traditions and on campus tailgating.

The SunBeast continues to serve up a mish-mash of NFL stadiums, glorified Texas HS stadiums and stadiums located miles from the campus. I will miss trips future to Beale Street, Coronado and Ybor but now we get Hotlanta, South Beach, Faneuil Hall and the Carolinas for our fans. Throw in real campuses to visit on gameday...win for us.
you were the only one sober enough to put that grill together. You gotta get beyond that problem of yours and enter loserdom like the rest of us...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom