ACC Atlantic | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Atlantic

SU has a winning record against VT. GT is regressing to the mean. Miami is in a craphole for the next decade.
The VT winning record means nothing anymore, VT would have killed us every year since P's final year. Miami still is full of some of the best FL athletes. GT is a crapshoot. They either hit or miss. You stop them or you don't, they're really boon or bane with that system. Just think the bottom half is worse in the Atlantic, but the top two are pretty even. Basketball, on the other hand, should be a cakewalk every year in this division.

It's nice being in a league where there is actually a reason to argue over which teams we would like to see play in the dome. Instead of this fake rivalry crap we've had to try to feed to the common fan.

SU has a winning record against VT. GT is regressing to the mean. Miami is in a craphole for the next decade.

Winning record against VT is a fairly meaningless stat. The schools have diverged quite a bit since those days and we're 2 coaches removed from the guy who had the winning record against them. As for Miami, we'll see what happens with their sanctions, but they have a very good coach, just had a very good recruiting year.

Clemson in recent history hasn't been as good as they were this year and they still gave up 100 in their bowl game... to a team we beat. I don't think FSU is ever going to be Bowden's FSU again. Jury is still out on how good a coach they currently have.

Really happy with this. Not ideal, but you can't have everything. This is a far better fit for us as SU fans than being placed in the Coastal.

Duke and UNC in the Dome 2 out of every 3 years is nice too. Better than I expected. A truly balanced schedule will make it a lot easier to consistently have a winning record and make the NCAA tournament. The ESPN driven emphasis on made for TV matchups in the Big East was unfair, though it made for some great TV.

If the home games are really played at home, things will be fine. Don't kill the Golden Goose Dr Gross!

I think we would have a better chance at making the ACC CG in the Coastal. The Atlantic is weaker Top to Bottom so we likely will be in the middle most years. While the Coastal we could easily end up in 6th often. But it will be very difficult getting by both FSU and Clemson. While getting by VT is doable.

Really happy with this. Not ideal, you can't have everything but this is a far better fit for us as SU fans than being placed in the Coastal.

In less than 1 year, the ACC has done more to help SU and try to fill our needs than the BE did in the last 5 years or more.

So we will play VT and Miami 2x every 6 years with 1 of them being at home and 1 away. I hope when they announce the "2 team pods" we don't have Miami and VT together. Would like to see VT paired with Duke.

I think we would have a better chance at making the ACC CG in the Coastal. The Atlantic is weaker Top to Bottom so we likely will be in the middle most years. While the Coastal we could easily end up in 6th often. But it will be very difficult getting by both FSU and Clemson. While getting by VT is doable.

I think people are giving Clemson a bit too much credit. Great football atmosphere, plenty of traveling fans, makes for an interesting opponent, but really haven't been all that good before this year (and really not even all that good this year). If you isolate the 12 game regular season in recent history they're probably an 7-8 win program, hard to find better than 9-3. 6-6 as recently as 2010.

If Golden stays at Miami, I think our chances are going to be equally challenging in either division. The one upside that Coastal has is a bottom feeding Duke program.

I assume the ACC knew even back when they were expanding that they were not going to change the divisions they had already setup. So this scenario was the only way for us to play Pitt and BC every year. And even though that may not be as interesting, I think it was one of the more important things for us to secure for traditional opponent/history/geography.

In less than 1 year, the ACC has done more to help SU and try to fill our needs than the BE did in the last 5 years or more.

I'm searching in my mind for anything the BE did to help the football program...with the exception of the BCS bowl tie-in I guess...

Living in the Atlanta area it means a 90 minute drive to Clemson and six hours to Talahasee every other year for football. Georgia Tech downtown in Bobby Dodd once every six years.

So we will play VT and Miami 2x every 6 years with 1 of them being at home and 1 away. I hope when they announce the "2 team pods" we don't have Miami and VT together. Would like to see VT paired with Duke.

I think it would make most sense to pair by rivals

VT/UVA
UNC/Duke
Miami/Ga Tech

Same goes for Florida State (approx. 5 hours), NC State (6 hours) and Wake ( 7? Hours). Best thing to happen IMO. :cool:
Travel from my house (just north of Atlanta), time and distance according to Google Maps:
  • Georgia Tech [30 mi] 0:47
  • Clemson [101 mi] 1:53
  • Wake Forest [299 mi] 5:01
  • Florida State [296 mi] 5:39
  • NC State [378 mi] 6:21
  • Maryland [628 mi] 10:50
  • BCU [1070 mi] 18:22
That should get us 2 drivable games (plus the occasional GT) a year. USF is my current drivable limit (OK, I guess Tulane is) at 484 mi, or 7:27.

I think it would make most sense to pair by rivals

VT/UVA
UNC/Duke
Miami/Ga Tech

That is probably how they will do it. At least Miami/VT aren't the same years.

Nine-game conference schedule? I guess the ACC doesn't really want Notre Dame after all. I can't see them giving up so many of their current rivalries.

---------------

Nine game schedule is best part of this:
it integrates the new teams, diversifies the competition, promotes the ACC brand and perhaps paves way for larger media payout.

The PAC 12 will also be playing 9 games as will the Big 12 and the Big 10 in combination with the Pac 12.

Annual games: SU plays Pitt, BC, Maryland, FSU, Clemson, Wake, NCS each year,
plus 2 of Miami, GT, UNC, Duke, UVA, VT,
plus high profile Meadowland's opponent,
leaving 2 games to be decided.

As far as ND, they are going to become less important as almost all the conferences move to 9 games.

With this schedule, SU should be in a much stronger position to turn the Meadowlands game into a 4 year home, away, Meadowlands, away deal with a major team if not a home, away, Meadowlands deal.

Those Miami and Va tech tickets in the dome will be in high demand.

Being in Eastern PA I'm also alot more likely to schedule trips to College park, Charlottesville, or Blacksburg then I ever was to Storrs, Piscataway, or even Pitt. I love that we will still play Pitt, but watching college football in a pro football town really takes away from the experience and doesn't peak my interest enough to spend 4+ hours of turnpike driving to attend.

---------------

Nine game schedule is best part of this:
it integrates the new teams, diversifies the competition, promotes the ACC brand and perhaps paves way for larger media payout.

The PAC 12 will also be playing 9 games as will the Big 12 and the Big 10 in combination with the Pac 12.

Annual games: SU plays Pitt, BC, Maryland, FSU, Clemson, Wake, NCS each year,
plus 2 of Miami, GT, UNC, Duke, UVA, VT,
plus high profile Meadowland's opponent,
leaving 2 games to be decided.

As far as ND, they are going to become less important as almost all the conferences move to 9 games.

With this schedule, SU should be in a much stronger position to turn the Meadowlands game into a 4 year home, away, Meadowlands, away deal with a major team if not a home, away, Meadowlands deal.

-----------

Versus a schedule including Houston, SMU, Boise, SD State, Cin, UL, USF, UCF, UConn, RU, Navy and TBD.

Except that if SU was still in Big East, that would mean either UConn or RU would have been added to ACC instead, with perhaps Temple or Nova or whoever as their replacement

Couldnt be happier. Wow after all of these years after being left at the gate by the ACC the first go round here we are. Fab to be in the Atlantic. We can compete in this division some great road trips great teams coming into the dome! Im really excited about this all in all this is a very good fit for Syracuse

Travel from my house (just north of Atlanta), time and distance according to Google Maps:

I already mapped out my travel when it was announced we were going ACC.

I think the only difficult trips for me were UVA and VT.

Flying to Pitt, UNC, Duke, Wake, NC St, GA Tech, Miami
Driving to BC and MD
Fly and then drive to FSU and Clemson

It's going to be tough but well well worth it. I can't wait to get out of vacant stare of hell that is called big east football, I'll miss hoops a bit but seeing this makes me want out asap.

Those Miami and Va tech tickets in the dome will be in high demand.

I would hope so but I'm not holding my breath. We have had very few actual sellouts in the Dome.

I would hope so but I'm not holding my breath. We have had very few actual sellouts in the Dome.

Agree it'll depending on how well SU is playing and the teams that travel well.

Very happy with this alignment. While it would've been nice to see Miami and VaTech regularly, it's even better to maintain 3 games a year against our nearest geographic rivals (BC, Pitt, Maryland). Plus two great traditional brands on the schedule with FSU and Clemson.

I mean honestly, lineup these annual 7 games side-by-side and tell me how the ACC version ain't 1,000,000 times more attractive?:

UConn
Rutgers
Pitt
West Virginia
USF
Cincinnati
Louisville

BC
Pitt
Maryland
Florida State
Clemson