Acc bound in 2013. SU and Big East reach deal. | Syracusefan.com

Acc bound in 2013. SU and Big East reach deal.

SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY AND THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE REACH AGREEMENT
ON SYRACUSE DEPARTURE FROM THE BIG EAST;
WILL MOVE TO ACC IN 2013

For immediate release
July 16, 2012

The Big East Conference and Syracuse University today announced that both organizations have reached an agreement on Syracuse’s departure from the Big East and move to the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC). Under the terms of the agreement reached between the Big East and Syracuse, the Big East members will vote, in accordance with the Big East’s bylaws, to terminate Syracuse’s membership in the Big East effective July 1, 2013, at which point Syracuse will join the ACC. In addition to other consideration, Syracuse will make a total cash payment to the Big East of $7.5 million.

“This closes a chapter and opens a new one filled with exciting possibilities for the Big East’s future. With the recent addition of eight schools to the Big East, the future for the Conference has never been brighter,” said Joe Bailey, Interim Commissioner of the Big East.

Dr. Daryl Gross, Director of Athletics for Syracuse University, said: “We look forward to the new academic and athletic partnerships and the extraordinary competitive opportunities that membership in the ACC offers. We are excited about both our final season in the Big East and our long-term future with the ACC.”

###

Here's the press release

Seeing it in writing - all official and stuff - is still kind of depressing. A founding member of Big East basketball is putting in their 2 weeks (figuratively speaking of course). :(

any idea what the other consideration is? Could it be something with scheduling big east bball teams in the future?

Cash Payment? Will they be paying in a black unmarked briefcase or the old money bags with the dollar sign on the front?

thumbnail.aspx

7.5 mil exit fee.

So, I apologize if this has been discussed, but are we fully in for equal revenue sharing in year 1? We could thereby pay the 7.5 mil and still make more money that year than we ever have in the BE, right?

I am sure the wording of the press release was part of the negotiation. Daryl Gross deserves a lot of credit here.

Both of those lines go without saying. Forgive my poor attempt at humor.

The $7.5 mil is less that what was originally speculated on here about 4 months ago. Back then I think Orangeyes or Jake stated it would be $8 mil. Good call.

How's that feel, WVU? We are about $14 million better than you already. :)

Glad that speculation is over and done with. Now we can recruit with an official entry date. Great job by the SU staff to get this done outside of the courts.

I wonder what Pitt will owe now?

While it was necessary that we went, it still doesn't feel right. College athletics have become a real dirty game.

Just bought Duke and Tarhole basketball tickets for the 2013 home basketball season. Yeehaw

Note the dilusional second paragraph.

“This closes a chapter and opens a new one filled with exciting possibilities for the Big East’s future. With the recent addition of eight schools to the Big East, the future for the Conference has never been brighter,” said Joe Bailey, Interim Commissioner of the Big East.

any idea what the other consideration is? Could it be something with scheduling big east bball teams in the future?

We will be forced to play St Johns in MSG.

Sucks, doesn't it. :)

Excellent!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Per Andy Katz's source at BE HQ, they are saying Pitt out by Fall 2013. My guess is that this is now a game of chicken to get Pitt to cough up more $$$. If the BE does not release Pitt by July 2013, they miss the ACC 2013 football season.

Note the dilusional second paragraph.

images

We will make this up in the first year of our ACC contract.

Mods - time to add ACC teams to "Opponent Links".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom