ACC coming to NYC? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC coming to NYC?

Boo
CHAPEL HILL – Sources close to the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Barclays Center in Brooklyn say the two parties have agreed to stage a future ACC Basketball Tournament at the brand new home of the Brooklyn Nets.

The ACC will vote on holding the tournament in New York Tuesday, but the sources say that the agreement has been made and the vote is a mere formality. Due to the addition of former Big East schools Notre Dame, Louisville, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, the ACC is anxious to play a tournament in the northeast.

The Barclays Center selected the ACC over the Big Ten, which has added Maryland and Rutgers to its conference membership. Both conferences may hold later tournaments in Brooklyn, but the ACC will come first.

The exact year the ACC Tournament will be played in Brooklyn has not been determined, but it will be at the Barclays Center and not Madison Square Garden. The 2014 and 2015 ACC Tournaments will be played in Greensboro. The 2016 Atlantic Coast Conference Basketball Tournament will be held at Washington, D.C.’s Verizon Center, the ACC announced November 14.

The 2017-21 tournament sites have not been determined, but one of those years it will be New York and the Barclays Center.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=1686da1044273e8a4540f89500b72810&loc=http://csnbbs.com/thread-667841.html&v=1&libId=f8c38ae8-b734-48ed-a2f3-a0a57656cd80&out=http://chapelboro.com/sports/acc/acc-tournament-going-new-york/&ref=http://csnbbs.com/forum-351.html&title=ACC at the Barclays Center?&txt=http://chapelboro.com/sports/acc/acc-tou...-new-york/&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13873331103906
Boooooooooo

No need to trash MSG, but Barclays is a great choice for the tournament. Easier for New Yorkers to get to, as it seems like every subway line passes by the place. It is already selling more tickets than any arena in the USA and while the Garden face lift was nice, you cannot put new wine in old bottles.

For SU fans, you go to NYC, stay where you prefer and grab any subway. May even be easier to get to a game than the Garden, although not quite as prestigious - YET.

The place was almost completely empty for their preseason tournament this year. It looked absolutely awful on TV.
That doesn't mean much. Look at tonight's Jimmy V Classic games at the Garden. Not exactly sold out there either.
And UCLA-Duke tickets for Thursday at MSG are readily available for around $20.
We should be playing in the Jimmy V every other year. It's been ages.

It's not the same experience as MSG and Manhattan, not even close. Plus it's more difficult to get to from the burbs. But better than nothing. And if it blocks the B1G well at least that's a good thing.

Atlantic Terminal is right there - so easy access from Long Island (LIRR) and many of the major subway lines out of Manhattan. If your coming from White Plains..just take the MetroNorth to GCS and hop on the 4 or the 5 to Atlantic Terminal. It's a very convenient location actually - not Midtown Manhattan obviously, but it's fine.

doc05 said:
Atlantic Terminal is right there - so easy access from Long Island (LIRR) and many of the major subway lines out of Manhattan. If your coming from White Plains..just take the MetroNorth to GCS and hop on the 4 or the 5 to Atlantic Terminal. It's a very convenient location actually - not Midtown Manhattan obviously, but it's fine.

Can you crawl from the Penta to the Blarney Rock to the Garden and then back in reverse?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Can you crawl from the Penta to the Blarney Rock to the Garden and then back in reverse?

LOL - nope, but there are bars right in the area. Hey, the BE is no more - have to move on. Barclays is a nice option if there has to be an alternative to MSG.

I may have smoked a Barclays once. Hard to tell who is more dishonest, big tobacco or mega foreign banks.

Very pleased to have Brooklyn as one of the sites and to be honest MSG, The Barclays and DC are my top choices. To me, having the championship on Saturday night is the best night and would help with travel and eyeballs. Sundays games just seem so sterile.

orange79 said:
Barclay's is nowhere near as easy to get to as MSG is. Glad they are looking at NYC, but this is a disappointment.

It isn't as easy to get to as MSG but it is still incredibly easy to get to. Its a start. ACC will get MSG eventually. Making sure we are in the city before the B1G is also pretty important.

Was more of a comment on Dolan - but you are right about Zeke.
Those two were made for each other.
As the old saw goes, It would take three of kind to beat that pair.

Farm the tourney out to the highest bidder = more money.

But I really got a chuckle out of this: "The Barclays Center selected the ACC over the Big Ten"

Maybe but the venue was a large part of what made the BET. Brooklyn is, well Brooklyn.

Cannot get there from Bayside, so not loving that (not like it matters anymore). I love MSG, but let's not pretend that the area around there is actually nice. It's all rather seedy.

I just find it funny that if this is true the sweater vest and penny loafer crowd of the ACC will be trolling hipster bars in Brooklyn.

Cannot get there from Bayside, so not loving that (not like it matters anymore). I love MSG, but let's not pretend that the area around there is actually nice. It's all rather seedy.

I just find it funny that if this is true the sweater vest and penny loafer crowd of the ACC will be trolling hipster bars in Brooklyn.

That was the beauty of playing in MSG. A simple train ride for most people from NJ and NY and you are there. No need to walk outside, take the subway, etc.

Brooklyn is another story.

mickey featherstone is upset that you dont like Hells Kitchen.

is the barclays easy to get to, yes? but why bother? are MSG & Penn Station with Grand Central down the block not easy?? most people will still have to go through Manhattan to get there, all but the LI crowd i think.

bayside is right, hipster bars in brooklyn are not NYC bars. HUGE difference and then factor in the dinners.

going to the tourny is more than just going to a game(s), its about the excitement on the street and all that comes with it.

you want to hang in the Village inbetween the sessions? done, 2 minute cab ride. now fuggetabouditt.

still, im glad its here, but lets not think its better than MSG.

bayside is right, hipster bars in brooklyn are not NYC bars. HUGE difference and then factor in the dinners.

There are some genuinely great restaurants in that part of Brooklyn. Probably more good restaurants there than in a 5 block radius of MSG (not counting Korea Town).

mickey featherstone is upset that you dont like Hells Kitchen.

you want to hang in the Village inbetween the sessions? done, 2 minute cab ride. now fuggetabouditt.

still, im glad its here, but lets not think its better than MSG.

Ahh. You're definitely from Upstate. I'll race you from Barclays to the Village. Just across the Brooklyn Bridge and you've got Little Italy and China Town, but no need to grab a cab. Check.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2012/09/restaurants-bars-near-nets-arena-barclays-center.html

How many people here have actually been to Barclays Center?

Exactly. Stop complaining. It's better than North Carolina.

Nothing will ever replicate the BET at the Garden. But as has been said, it's a start and the damn arena is less than two years old. It's an amazing building, great sightlines EVERYWHERE and there is plenty to do around the arena. With much more to come by the time 2017 rolls around.

SUFan44 said:
How many people here have actually been to Barclays Center? Exactly. Stop complaining. It's better than North Carolina. Nothing will ever replicate the BET at the Garden. But as has been said, it's a start and the damn arena is less than two years old. It's an amazing building, great sightlines EVERYWHERE and there is plenty to do around the arena. With much more to come by the time 2017 rolls around.

I think we all agree.

My first trip to the new Garden was this past Sunday. I HATE the design of the remodeled Garden. Now, it's just another arena in my opinion. The concourse/concession area sucks. Much longer lines than the old place. Miss the center walkway between the 200/300 sections from the old Garden. And, of course, how can they get rid of the Willis Tunnel??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom