ACC coming to NYC? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC coming to NYC?

The Atlantic Terminal stop serves EVERY line from Manhattan. You walk up the stairs and walk into Barclays, literally the same as at MSG. Travel & access is not the issue, IMO.
I agree that MSG is MSG, nothing will ever top that. But this whole "Brooklyn is Brooklyn, Manhattan is Manhattan" stuff, is waaay overblown.
Its hype used to foment a rivalry that in my long experience as a resident of the 5 boroughs, simply is not that big a deal. Not many NY'ers go on anti-Brooklyn rants...unless its on the net. JMHO.

Simply put...
View attachment 6232
If you are coming in from NJ, it is not nearly as convenient as MSG. Just sayin'...

TexanMark said:
Haz any of youse brain surgeons figured out that this is a shot across the bow to Dolan and MSG?

The ACC basically told Dolan and if you want us you better relax your terms.

After 1 or 2 years the New Big East will be playing in front of 8-12k folks for the championship.

Agree, when we go straight up against the Big East and all the media and attention and crowds are focused on the ACC, MSG will come calling. I really want to see the difference going up against the BE.

And transport to Atlantic Ave. is actually easier from the east side of Manhattan. LIRR goes right there. 10 minutes away from Penn Station.

orange79 said:
If you are coming in from NJ, it is not nearly as convenient as MSG. Just sayin'...

True, but more convenient from Brooklyn, equally as convenient on the 4/5, pretty much the same from upper west side and the Bronx, equally for LIRR and a wash from Grand Central/Metro North.

All well and good, but the issue is that Barclays is not anywhere near as convenient as MSG. Not by a long shot. Arriving at Penn Station and walking upstairs is as good as it gets. Manhattan is Manhattan. Brooklyn... is not.

But the overarching issue is that Barclays is not MSG. MSG is The World's Most Famous Arena. Period.

At Barclays you arrive in Atlantic Terminal and walk upstairs. It's an extra 20 minute subway ride, but it couldn't be easier...and 13 lines or something crazy like that serve it.

This.

NYC = Manhattan.

New York Knicks play in Manhattan.
Brooklyn Nets play in Brooklyn.

new york mets play in queens.
new york yankees play in bronx.
new york jets and new york giants play in jersey...

i get your point, but imo, the reason i prefer the garden is the sight lines. the second deck at the barclays is seriously unnerving.

ok. let's make it a race and I'll bet you the cost of ACC tourney tix. 1 stop from 33rd st. on the 2/3 to 14th st. and I'll walk up either south corner steps (since 14th st. separates the village from chelsea)

No No. Not so fast. You have to take the local. Our meeting place is the south Village near the Houston St. stop. So you take the 1/2/3 S and go 33rd - 28th - 23rd - 18th - 14th - Christopher, - Houston. I take the 1/2/3 N, about the same # of stops, but the doorman won't let you in anyway til I arrive:).

Haz any of youse brain surgeons figured out that this is a shot across the bow to Dolan and MSG?

After 1 or 2 years the New Big East will be playing in front of 8-12k folks for the championship.

The problem is, Dolan's response could very well be to sign a 10 year deal with the Big 10 which would suck moose nuggets.

The problem is, Dolan's response could very well be to sign a 10 year deal with the Big 10 which would suck moose nuggets.
Both Rutgers fans would LOVE this!

jgeorge322 said:
clearly he has not. park slope is not bedstuy. bees should zillow the housing in the area...

What does housing or the neighborhood have to do with what is bring compared. I'm talking the difference between Manhatten and Brooklyn as a location. Nothing compares to the magic and media capital of Manhatten and everything else that is Manhatten. Brooklyn, no matter the arena nor the neighborhood is Manhatten.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

SUFan44 said:
New York > Brooklyn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> North Carolina.

That's what I think...so we agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Agreed. The crowd for the Iowa - Northwestern game would suck moose nuggets. Heck I'd bet the crowd for the Rutgers - Maryland game would suck moose nuggets.

fascinating to see all the pro-barclays people here.

they make it seem like its right next to Macys.

its not.

its far.

its 30mins minimum from the Garden. unless youre in the subway when there is no one else there and the trains line up appropriatly for you.

people are so willing to go over (under) the river and through the concrete woods to ratners house we go, for a hoop game in march...after traveling hundreds of miles, yet they wont get on a shuttle bus or walk up the hill to the Dome for a football game in october because it takes too long or is too much work.....

There is one Manhattan. One MSG.

Dolan can sign up the B1G. That would be terrible for us.

Brooklyn is not Manhattan. Barclay's isn't an easy trip for non-NYC folk who are already traveling from across the country.

If you want to be the elite sports conference in college sports, you go to MSG.

You want to know how great Brooklyn is? Ask someone who lives in Manhattan how often they go to Brooklyn for anything.

Brooklyn should stick to bragging about Biggie and Peter Luger.

new york mets play in queens.
new york yankees play in bronx.
new york jets and new york giants play in jersey...

i get your point, but imo, the reason i prefer the garden is the sight lines. the second deck at the barclays is seriously unnerving.

It's steep, but the seats are excellent in terms of sightlines. I've sat in the last row a few times, the view is great.

Agreed. The crowd for the Iowa - Northwestern game would suck moose nuggets. Heck I'd bet the crowd for the Rutgers - Maryland game would suck moose nuggets.

It very well might, but they don't host these events for those games and we all know that. Somebody could say the same about the ACC. What kind of crowd is a 1pm Thursday game between Clemson and Miami or FSU vs. Georgia Tech going to generate in NYC?

Yeah - that idiot is a real wildcard.

I think there would be mutiny in the Big Ten if that happened. Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State basketball fans will not want to take their tournament out of the midwest for that long. And they would be vocal and have more pull than Rutgers and Penn State.

I think there would be mutiny in the Big Ten if that happened. Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State basketball fans will not want to take their tournament out of the midwest for that long. And they would be vocal and have more pull than Rutgers and Penn State.
Do you feel there would be a mutiny in the ACC if the tournament moves to NY (even if not for every year)?

HoustonCuse said:
It very well might, but they don't host these events for those games and we all know that. Somebody could say the same about the ACC. What kind of crowd is a 1pm Thursday game between Clemson and Miami or FSU vs. Georgia Tech going to generate in NYC?

This is an entirely different issue. Don't get me started.

Yeah - that idiot is a real wildcard.
The B1G won't send their teams there for 10 years...Indy and Chicago is their heart.

The Big East is at MSG...for the time being. Is there an attendance performance clause? Some BE fans think the only clause is for number of teams.

There is one Manhattan. One MSG.

Dolan can sign up the B1G. That would be terrible for us.

Brooklyn is not Manhattan. Barclay's isn't an easy trip for non-NYC folk who are already traveling from across the country.

If you want to be the elite sports conference in college sports, you go to MSG.

You want to know how great Brooklyn is? Ask someone who lives in Manhattan how often they go to Brooklyn for anything.

Brooklyn should stick to bragging about Biggie and Peter Luger.

I agree...but MSG isn't available...Brooklyn is the backup but I think the ACC is sending a message to the Dolans to negotiate.

Love Brooklyn as opposed to Greensboro but it seems to me that all the Brooklyn folks have got their panties in a bunch here. MSG is THE epicenter of basketball. You don't earn the title of "world's most famous arena" for nothing. The atmosphere when the stakes are high is simply unbeatable. Being in the heart of the greatest city on earth only adds to the drama and experience. If I have to choose between Brooklyn or Greensboro, I'm taking Brooklyn in a heartbeat. But if I get to choose between MSG and literally anywhere else in the world, I'm choosing MSG.

What's the hotel situation, and I mean real hotels, not an aLoft or other boutique type places.