ACC coming to NYC? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ACC coming to NYC?

This whole debate about Barclays -v- MSG is a moot point.

The second the Big East's contract is up, MSG is going to go to the highest bidder. If the ACC wants it, it'll be theirs for the taking.

In the meantime, Brooklyn/Barclays will be a fine substitute.

The B1G won't send their teams there for 10 years...Indy and Chicago is their heart.

The Big East is at MSG...for the time being. Is there an attendance performance clause? Some BE fans think the only clause is for number of teams.
I remember reading that there's a minimum attendance clause that has to be met. Don't know if that's for a single year or a period of time. The attendance this year will likely be good. Without SU, UL, and UConn the BET will be more wide open and that will energize the fan bases to turn out feeling their team has a chance. STJ is reasonably good this year so their fans will turn out. As they advance, the STJ fan base has the capacity to fill half the seats. Nova will probably turn out better this year than they have recently since they're good. For the fans bases of the newbies (Creighton, Xavier, Butler) this will be a new novelty so I'd expect them to get a decent turnout to go experience the "big time". In future years the attendance will be very dependent on STJ. If they slide back the NBE will have attendance problems at the BET.

I remember reading that there's a minimum attendance clause that has to be met. Don't know if that's for a single year or a period of time. The attendance this year will likely be good. Without SU, UL, and UConn the BET will be more wide open and that will energize the fan bases to turn out feeling their team has a chance. STJ is reasonably good this year so their fans will turn out. As they advance, the STJ fan base has the capacity to fill half the seats. Nova will probably turn out better this year than they have recently since they're good. For the fans bases of the newbies (Creighton, Xavier, Butler) this will be a new novelty so I'd expect them to get a decent turnout to go experience the "big time". In future years the attendance will be very dependent on STJ. If they slide back the NBE will have attendance problems at the BET.
I don't know about St John's attendance carrying the BET. We just played them at MSG and the crowd was 65-70% Syracuse fans. Since there were 16K in attendance, the breakdown was roughly 11K SU fans and 5K Johnnies.

But that game was against one of their biggest rivals, a team ranked #2 in the country, it was on a weekend afternoon and the ticket prices were really low compared to BET pricing.

Hard to imagine the Johnnies buying anything close to that number of tickets for a BET strip, or even a single to a session they are playing in. I have been going to the BET for many years and have never seen more than a couple thousand fans at MSG rooting for the 'hometown' team.

Haz any of youse brain surgeons figured out that this is a shot across the bow to Dolan and MSG?

The ACC basically told Dolan and if you want us you better relax your terms.

After 1 or 2 years the New Big East will be playing in front of 8-12k folks for the championship.
Yes, this was another early battle in the War to Win the Northeast between the ACC and the B1G.

My updated war correspondent report:

ACC 2.5
B1G .5

The ACC got the open spot in the Military Bowl in Annapolis (the B1G really wanted it as well)

The ACC got to the Barclay's for their tournament first.

And the ACC and the B1G both got the slots they wanted in the Pinstripe, so I call that one a draw.

The next one is a big one. Who will replace the New Big East in MSG when that conference fails to meet minimum MSG attendance requirements?

Last edited:
The next one is a big one. Who will replace the New Big East in MSG when that conference fails to meet minimum MSG attendance requirements?
Hmmmm. Wisconsin/Ohio St/Mich St vs. Syracuse/Duke/UNC. Wonder which ones will draw more crowds and more excitement? Of course, based on this choice and past record of behavior, the Dolans have probably already signed the B1G to a 20 year contract. Oh Lord

I think this are the draws

Michigan
Michigan St
Indiana
Ohio St
Wisconsin
Maryland
Iowa?

vs.

Cuse
UNC
Duke
Louisville
Pitt
Notre Dame
NCSt?

Pretty Sure even the Dolans would pick the ACC.

I agree...but MSG isn't available...Brooklyn is the backup but I think the ACC is sending a message to the Dolans to negotiate.

Exactly - people need to come to grips with the fact that the BE is over. There will always be some games at MSG (pre-season, St John's etc), But if it's not available come tourney time, Barclays is the next best thing for people in the tri state. And it's not so far out there as some make it seem.It is right over the BK Bridge - next door to DT Manhattan (literally 2 subway stops away). It's a great arena. If it happens - some people will have to deal with the "extra" commute of a few subway stops. So Manhattan might not be available come tourney time - boo hoo.

Michigan
Michigan St
Indiana
Ohio St
Wisconsin
Maryland
Iowa?

vs.

Cuse
UNC
Duke
Louisville
Pitt
Notre Dame
NCSt?

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. It's Barclay's v. MSG. Neither the ACC or B1G want to be in Barclay's when the other is in MSG.

The B1G has plenty of fans to fill seats in NYC. Otherwise Barclay's wouldn't even be an option.

Michigan
Michigan St
Indiana
Ohio St
Wisconsin
Maryland
Iowa?

vs.

Cuse
UNC
Duke
Louisville
Pitt
Notre Dame
NCSt?

Well we know Rutgers will bring 20 fans.

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. It's Barclay's v. MSG. Neither the ACC or B1G want to be in Barclay's when the other is in MSG.

The B1G has plenty of fans to fill seats in NYC. Otherwise Barclay's wouldn't even be an option.
yep. we dont take lesser opponents like the sunys, colgate, georgetown, high point etc and play them at Manley...we still play em at the Dome.

if you are 'playing' NYC, you better be in the Garden...otherwise you are in the equivilant of Manley.

yep. we dont take lesser opponents like the sunys, colgate, georgetown, high point etc and play them at Manley...we still play em at the Dome.

if you are 'playing' NYC, you better be in the Garden...otherwise you are in the equivilant of Manley.

And if the ACC doesn't get the Garden, the alternative would be what - Greenboro, North Carolina? I'll take the beautiful borough of Brooklyn any day to see the Cuse play. Being in the ACC, we are lucky anywhere in NYC is even up for discussion. The ACC blue bloods aren't having it.

Being in the ACC, we are lucky anywhere in NYC is even up for discussion. The ACC blue bloods aren't having it.
Not sure that's true. If the ACC blue bloods weren't having it, it wouldn't be happening.

And if the ACC doesn't get the Garden, the alternative would be what - Greenboro, North Carolina? I'll take the beautiful borough of Brooklyn any day to see the Cuse play. Being in the ACC, we are lucky anywhere in NYC is even up for discussion. The ACC blue bloods aren't having it.
we established a long time ago, as a matter of fact its one of those inalienable truths, that anything NYC related is better than anything in NC.

they could play the tournament in nycfans kitchen, with him passed out on the floor...and it would be an upgrade to greensboro.

right now we are just sending the pro-brooklyn people back to their borough to watch new jerseys rejects the nets, without supper.

we established a long time ago, as a matter of fact its one of those inalienable truths, that anything NYC related is better than anything in NC.

they could play the tournament in nycfans kitchen, with him passed out on the floor...and it would be an upgrade to greensboro.

right now we are just sending the pro-brooklyn people back to their borough to watch new jerseys rejects the nets, without supper.
Ridiculous idea. nycfan NEVER passes out.

Sways and lists, yes. It would be like playing BB on a moving obstacle course.

Last edited:

LOL - ok..but you do realize the "Manhattanites" are moving to Brooklyn in droves - right? Brooklyn is the new 'it' place in NYC - and I wouldn't call the area around Penn Station 'must see'. I guess if you live here, it's not really that big a deal for the most part (I know some might disagree). But I can also see how the 'allure of Manhattan' probably means more to a lot of out of towners coming from outside the tri state area.

Not sure that's true. If the ACC blue bloods weren't having it, it wouldn't be happening.

Obviously the people actually in control of the ACC realize NYC is a must. But from what I see it's almost blasphemy to the traditional blue blood/tobacco road fan.

When MSG see's how much publicity Barclays gets from the ACC tournament, they will be on their knees begging the ACC to bring the tournament to MSG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom