ACC $$$ for FY20 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC $$$ for FY20

I would think in this day and age Annual could go to every other year and then every kid who comes thru 4 yrs gets to play h/a against the teams they want to continue with and leave room for other big time teams they want to play too.

Not only 6 ACC teams, they've also started adding MAC cupcakes to the schedule and only have 3 annual games with an active streak.

Independence, as they once thought of it, is dying.

Their biggest question is which annual games stay and which go. Stanford dates back to 1988, not exactly forever. USC I would think is untouchable. Then what of Navy? If ACC can manage to stay at 8 games, do they keep only 2 spots open for flexibility?
If ND played in the 8 the 16th school could help their scheduling.
Navy as the 16th team football only wouldn’t be a bad thing.
8 conference games including Navy.
USC
That would leave them 3 annual openings.

My ND grad Uncle is in his 60s.
When his generation dies then ND will consider a conference.
Just like the country is changing politically because of younger people.
Same thing will happen to ND football independence.
They are already pseudo-independent, 5 of their 12 games are scheduled for them.
This year it’s 6 ACC teams. They aren’t too far from joining a conference in football.
Notre Dame wants to play Texas on a regular time frame, and being in a conference would take care of that.

If ND played in the 8 the 16th school could help their scheduling.
Navy as the 16th team football only wouldn’t be a bad thing.
8 conference games including Navy.
USC
That would leave them 3 annual openings.

Let me know where to sign please.

I wonder if I can buy back my house in Annapolis. Tailgate field for overflow games (typically just Air Force) was right across the street.

Next Commissioner, needs to get Notre Dame, Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, and West Virginia, and then you have the best conference with the most viewers in all sports.
You had me at Texas, ND, and find a way to trade UL for WVU. Then you lost me with Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

I’m willing to look the other way for Tejas, and I’m willing to ND that they’re a beautiful, special snowflake, but I draw the line after that.

You had me at Texas, ND, and find a way to trade UL for WVU. Then you lost me with Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

I’m willing to look the other way for Tejas, and I’m willing to ND that they’re a beautiful, special snowflake, but I draw the line after that.
To get Notre Dame, and Texas you take whoever else they want. Texas and Oklahoma have played for years. 114 games so far, so you do what needs to be done.

To get Notre Dame, and Texas you take whoever else they want. Texas and Oklahoma have played for years.
No. You offer them a ND deal and let them take it or let them refuse it and further destabilize the B12. Both options are better than adding a random laundry list of even more random schools in God-knows-where.

My ND grad Uncle is in his 60s.
When his generation dies then ND will consider a conference.
Just like the country is changing politically because of younger people.
Same thing will happen to ND football independence.
They are already pseudo-independent, 5 of their 12 games are scheduled for them.
This year it’s 6 ACC teams. They aren’t too far from joining a conference in football.
I believe it but if they can get cake and eat it too w a higher tv deal then the only push to a conference will be a forced entry if they are shut out of the playoffs ultimately.

Not only 6 ACC teams, they've also started adding MAC cupcakes to the schedule and only have 3 annual games with an active streak.

Independence, as they once thought of it, is dying.

Their biggest question is which annual games stay and which go. Stanford dates back to 1988, not exactly forever. USC I would think is untouchable. Then what of Navy? If ACC can manage to stay at 8 games, do they keep only 2 spots open for flexibility?
USC is ND's rival, not anyone from the B1G. ND is USC's rival, not UCLA. That game will be kept at all costs. Their fans are tiring of playing Navy. They feel there is too much of a danger of injury to the DL because of the cut blocks used in their offense and that the debt has been more than repaid. Regardless of how they come into the ACC, there would be 9 conference games, under a pod schedule with 16 teams in the conference (3 games with your pod, 3 with your horizontal line, and 3 with another pod) or 4-5-5 with 15.

No. You offer them a ND deal and let them take it or let them refuse it and further destabilize the B12. Both options are better than adding a random laundry list of even more random schools in God-knows-where.
One of our board gurus has always said that Texas was offered the ND deal by the ACC before ND was. They turned it down. They wouldn't turn it down a second time if the legal stuff could be fixed (like if the Big XII imploded).
I asked the ND fans on their board how they would react if Texas got the same deal from the ACC that they did. They all said they would do everything they could to get Texas permanently on their schedule, especially since they always have recruited in Texas quite heavily.

One of our board gurus has always said that Texas was offered the ND deal by the ACC before ND was. They turned it down. They wouldn't turn it down a second time if the legal stuff could be fixed (like if the Big XII imploded).
I asked the ND fans on their board how they would react if Texas got the same deal from the ACC that they did. They all said they would do everything they could to get Texas permanently on their schedule, especially since they always have recruited in Texas quite heavily.
Getting Texas and ND into the ACC as full members puts the ACC at least where the SEC and the B1G are in football. Perhaps beyond.

I think the payouts for TV and bowls would reflect that.

It would be good for everyone. Except the other P5 conferences. ;)

Getting Texas and ND into the ACC as full members puts the ACC at least where the SEC and the B1G are in football. Perhaps beyond.

I think the payouts for TV and bowls would reflect that.

It would be good for everyone. Except the other P5 conferences. ;)
Texas isn’t joining the ACC as a full member. Their status quo > ACC *for them.* The same goes for OU. I have no idea if OU would even take SEC vs co-ruling their own kingdom with UTex.

The absolute best move for the ACC is to either get Texas as a partial (Texas would still add value, and it *may* cause OU to jump somewhere, which would (A) end the B12 and (B) make UTex more dependent on the ACC) or give Texas a credible threat to leave, by which they can pull resources away from the smaller guys in the conference (like how PSU forced the B1G to take RU and UMD, so PSU could play in front of donors and recruits).

I believe that ACC could use the leverage of a destabilized B12 to eventually push ND to agree to more ACC games (6 or ideally 7 conf games - I’m sure with strings).

I do like the idea.

Texas
Baylor/TCU
Houston/Oklahoma St
Oklahoma
Note: OU probably has to bring their lil bro along but Houston is huge market. TCU>Baylor for recruiting and travel ease

BC
Cuse
Pitt
Miami or Notre Dame
Note: Truthfully I prefer Miami for recruiting

UNC
Duke
Clemson
Ga Tech
Note: Clemson likes playing Ga Tech

Notre Dame or Miami
FSU
Louisville
Wake Forest
Note: Notre Dame and FSU should be happy

UVA
VA Tech
NC St
WVU/UCF
Note: UCF looks more compelling to me for recruiting and bowl purposes

Basketball schedule would have to be massaged

Home and home with your "pod" and alternating home and away every other year with everybody else... Only 18 games or thinks get unbalanced.

I like 4 "pods" of 5 schools better... Balanced twenty game schedule with 8 home and homes and then one against everybody else.

Wild and crazy conference dreams

No conference is going larger than 16.
It’s just not happening.

Home and home with your "pod" and alternating home and away every other year with everybody else... Only 18 games or thinks get unbalanced.

I like 4 "pods" of 5 schools better... Balanced twenty game schedule with 8 home and homes and then one against everybody else.

Wild and crazy conference dreams
I do too...it would work fine if Notre Dame stays Indy. You add either Texas Tech or Kansas for the Texas Pod.

Geography gets a little rough if you have UT/OU/TCU and Okie State...who do you add?

Do people really think Texas is joining the ACC? Come on let’s use common sense . The era of illogical conference shifting has to be over.

I can see ND for sure but if Texas joined let’s blow it all up bc it’s not a conference anymore, it’s a corporation w regional offices.

Do people really think Texas is joining the ACC? Come on let’s use common sense . The era of illogical conference shifting has to be over.

I can see ND for sure but if Texas joined let’s blow it all up bc it’s not a conference anymore, it’s a corporation w regional offices.
Would still fit this definition "a national or regional association, as of colleges or their athletic teams".

I don't think they are going to join but if they want to, I would take them.

It is unlikely yes, but if the Big 12 imploded you can make a case. Ten years ago did anyone think WVU would join the Big 12 and they would play the next decade with 10 teams?

It is all about $$$

Texas wants the status quo.
They like the money they get from ESPN for the Longhorn Network.
ESPN hates the Longhorn network but they know if they piss off Texas then Texas can go to the Big Ten and Fox.

Texas doesn’t want to go the Big Ten but they have that card for leverage.

The rest of the Big XII minus Oklahoma are reliant on Texas.

The Big XII and ACC are the conferences that want the status quo.

The ACC has better long term strength because of the demographics of the conference and Texas not being a time bomb within the conference. The SEC not wanting Clemson and Florida State helps the ACC but the ACC needs to cater to them as they carry the ACC banner.

The Big Ten wanted to kill off the ACC but they failed.
SEC doesn’t care for the ACC but they hate the Big Ten more.

PAC-12 does whatever the Big Ten tells them to do.

Expansion is done until one of SEC or Big Ten get a Big XII or ACC team.

The ACC and Big XII wouldn’t merge unless the big dogs in either conference were poached.

Meaning Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas from the Big XII.
Meaning North Carolina/Duke/Virginia from the ACC.
Clemson and Florida State aren’t candidate for the SEC so they fake interest in the Big XII just to keep the ACC in line.

One other reason that Texas isn't going anywhere is the highly touted Grant of Rights they signed with the Big XII. The conference would get all of their non-Longhorn Network money. The only way and reason Texas would move is the implosion of the Big XII. If the conference disappears, so does the Grant of Rights, and Texas' money is safe. It's hard for me to imagine right now a scenario in which the Big XII implodes. Could the situation change? Sure. Will the situation change? Doubt it.

The GoR's for the Big 12 expires June 2025. You are correct nothing will happen the next few years...by 2023-4 not so sure.

The GoR's for the Big 12 expires June 2025. You are correct nothing will happen the next few years...by 2023-4 not so sure.
It will be interesting to see what happens with the OB/SB.

I don’t see even splits with either game moving forward.

Assuming an $80 MM payout (present state for SB and RB - both will probably be higher, but I’m not sure how much higher), I could see a $53 MM (ACC) vs $27 MM (SEC/B1G) OB split. My thought is that $53 MM = $40 MM + ($27 MM / 2). But even if it’s not $53/27 MM, I’d be surprised with less than $45/35 MM.

(The OB gets less than the SB and RB, but I think it’s undervalued vs them.)

I can see the SB being $45 (SEC) vs $35 (B12) - using the current game valuation.

The RB will stay $40 MM vs $40 MM.

The net would be SEC ~60 MM, B1G ~55 MM, ACC ~50 MM, Pac 40 MM, and B12 ~35 MM.

On a per team basis, it would be: (2/3 years)
4.28 - SEC
3.93 - B1G
3.57 - ACC*
3.50 - B12
3.33 - Pac

*+/- ND impact

Those numbers will be increased, but that’s roughly how I think it will break down - I’m sure with some sweet deal for ND/ACC (60/20 or 65/15 split) if they can make the OB.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what happens with the OB/SB.

I don’t see even splits with either game moving forward.
I hope the ACC can get a bowl upgrade. We need 3 consistent Top 15 teams every year to push ahead of the Big 12