ACC Media Day: Oct 24 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Media Day: Oct 24

It should be Atlanta, DC, and NYC ... this seems so obvious to me.

I always thought Atlanta should be part of the rotation myself, but then I was told by a few Old Guard ACC fans the media attention in that city is split between the SEC and ACC, even when the SEC tourney was in New Orleans the last year that there was an ACC tourney in Atlanta. Also one of them told me that Atlanta only helps GT and FSU, so between the two GT has no .500 or above record in the ACC and FSU has three over the past 5 years (which I am using as a comparison basis which will make more sense why I am limiting it to those years despite the fact that the rotations are decided upon years in advance).

The decision, again according to this person, to go to NYC and DC (when Maryland was in the league Landover/DC made the rotation 3 times while Atlanta made it 6 times over like a 35 year span) was partially based upon input from SU, Pitt, and ND and Delany publicly announcing that his strategy was to make NYC and DC "Big Ten" country.

The same person I was speaking to about Atlanta told me that the conference was not sure NYC would be a success, particularly since they couldn't get MSG due to the Big East contract and the refusal to even think about doing what the Big Ten did to get MSG by having the championship a week earlier. He said, like Atlanta, NYC seems to only benefit SU and ND (the Irish due to their huge football following the NYC) and he wasn't sure the media wouldn't split its attention between the Big East, ACC, and possibly even the Big Ten. Interesting enough those two teams each had 4 out of 5 .500 plus records in the ACC although neither were particularly good at the ACC tourney in Brooklyn.

Of course Swofford proclaimed the ACC tourney at Barclays as a huge success, but honestly I (as a TV watcher and looking at media coverage both print/on-line and TV coverage) am not as convinced as he that it was a home run, more like a double or a triple. But that is my perception only. Others I am sure have their own. I did think the DC tournament the year previously was a home run though.

I am glad that both NYC and DC apparently will be part of the rotation for the foreseeable future, but I think it would foolish of us to think the ACC will abandon Greensboro any time soon.

Cheers,
Neil

Last edited:
I'm just so impressed with the thoughtful, intelligent answers both Tyus and Frank provided in this media opportunity. Both have grown so much in their time on the Hill, especially Frank.

They bring so much to the court and to the school. Kudos. They will be greatly missed next year.
Well said! I hope everyone has a chance to watch this. Some really nice moments in there especially Frank talking about his four years with JB, Tyus’ excitement about this season, and JB on “what coaching’s all about”.

The camaraderie is real.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom