ACC Media Days: Wed. July 18 and Thurs. July 19, Charlotte | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Media Days: Wed. July 18 and Thurs. July 19, Charlotte

I was unsure at first not going to lie. Didn't really know much about the school. After learning more I was happy with the addition. If Syracuse never joined, where else would I hang out at since this is my homeboard. :)
Really? That's interesting. There are no Clemson boards you like better than ours? Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you shouldn't be here, you're a better contributor than most, including me. I'm just surprised your preferance is an opponents board.

I wished someone asked about Cavanaugh coaching the OL. Someone asked about Martin and Baber's response was what I would expect. Would REALLY love to know more about Cavanaugh, how Babers got a hold of him and the impact he might be having on the Offensive line.

He has been nothing but reactionary in his time as commissioner.

We have the lowest payout as a conference in P5, we gave away too much in the Notre Dame deal, we are the last P5 conference to get its own network (and it is at a time when everyone is dropping cable), he did nothing to UNC for the worst cheating scandal in history but yet punished Syracuse for a minor transgression. That's just a few things I have issue with.

Sorry if long-winded.

I see it differently.

First, Wofford has basically transformed what was a BB conference into a very strong FB conference.

Second, he has given the conference a great deal of stability.

Third, he has brought ND to the conference - I strongly suspect that other conferences - including the Big Ten wanted the Irish even under the terms the ACC accepted - terms I don't really like all that much but terms that help the ACC with ND's near total participation.

Fourth, he tried to bring Syracuse University to the ACC back in 2003 - I very much appreciated that effort - I thought it was a necessary move back then and I think it was a necessary move a few years ago.

Fifth, Wofford's FB conference has had great success in the last few years including a NC and what could have been two more.

And, he won a BB NC just two years ago.

I don't really have a handle on the network issue - perhaps he could have done more.

But on the whole, I think he has done a great job and I thank the almighty that he invited Syracuse University to such a great conference.

Really? That's interesting. There are no Clemson boards you like better than ours? Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you shouldn't be here, you're a better contributor than most, including me. I'm just surprised your preferance is an opponents board.
This is the only board I frequent regularly.
What other place can civil discussion take place whether that be sports, politics, whatever.

What other place can civil discussion take place whether that be sports, politics, whatever.
This is the only one I'm on so I have no comparison. I assumed a big program like Clemson would have something on par with us. Happy to have you here.

Wish we had more like you on our board. In the old days, there was a lot more (fun) smack talk on this board from rivals. Maybe when we get better this will revert to the norm.

I see it differently.

First, Wofford has basically transformed what was a BB conference into a very strong FB conference.

Second, he has given the conference a great deal of stability.

Third, he has brought ND to the conference - I strongly suspect that other conferences - including the Big Ten wanted the Irish even under the terms the ACC accepted - terms I don't really like all that much but terms that help the ACC with ND's near total participation.

Fourth, he tried to bring Syracuse University to the ACC back in 2003 - I very much appreciated that effort - I thought it was a necessary move back then and I think it was a necessary move a few years ago.

Fifth, Wofford's FB conference has had great success in the last few years including a NC and what could have been two more.

And, he won a BB NC just two years ago.

I don't really have a handle on the network issue - perhaps he could have done more.

But on the whole, I think he has done a great job and I thank the almighty that he invited Syracuse University to such a great conference.
This.
Swofford hasn't been perfect, but his biggest accomplishment is that he kept the league from imploding during very precarious times- keeping FSU and Clemson in the fold. The GOR extension to 2036, adding ND Football for 5 games per year, and even though delayed a bit, adding an ACCN to produce more revenue.
By all rights, the B1G or SEC could have swept in and poached UVA, UNC, FSU, Clemson, Miami, et al, and SU would've been up isht's creek in a lesser conference of also-rans.
Right now the Big XII is still worried about implosion, and the Pac 14 is looking shaky as well. Meanwhile, , the ACC continues to be strong in all major sports with a reach that extends up and down the East coast. We're stable and set, and its all gonna get better. IMO, Swofford deserves a ton of credit for that.

What? Situation isn't even close? Bad comparison. Not enough of us appreciate the link between these two. We might be in FCS by now without this story.
I don’t think you understand what I meant. Dino stated that he underestimated the emotional toll facing their former coach, the guy who gave them a shot, would have on the game and the play on the field. That is exactly why it is a very good comparison. The link you refer to was our downfall against MTSU. The WMU situation could be a mirror of Shafer and MTSU. Don’t forget they also have Tim Daoust and former teammate Steven Clark on that opposite sideline. Look before you leap Ish

I don’t think you understand what I meant. Dino stated that he underestimated the emotional toll facing their former coach, the guy who gave them a shot, would have on the game and the play on the field. That is exactly why it is a very good comparison. The link you refer to was our downfall against MTSU. The WMU situation could be a mirror of Shafer and MTSU. Don’t forget they also have Tim Daoust and former teammate Steven Clark on that opposite sideline. Look before you leap Ish
You know the old saying, Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I don't think Coach Babers will underestimate anything this year. Go Orange!!!!!

I knew they also have Daoust. Dino and company let the kids get way too caught up in the storyline which should have been managed and squashed. Should have taken care of our business and what we could have controlled.

I knew they also have Daoust. Dino and company let the kids get way too caught up in the storyline which should have been managed and squashed. Should have taken care of our business and what we could have controlled.

Shafer also happens to be a very good DC.

He threw every blitz package one could imagine at Dungey - and it took its toll.

I doubt that Eric had ever seen that style of defense in the past.

I think that explains the loss better than any emotional impact that Shafer's presence had that day.

Shafer also happens to be a very good DC.

He threw every blitz package one could imagine at Dungey - and it took its toll.

I doubt that Eric had ever seen that style of defense in the past.

I think that explains the loss better than any emotional impact that Shafer's presence had that day.
Let's hope Coach Lester wasn't paying as much attention. ;)

Let's hope Coach Lester wasn't paying as much attention. ;)
You mean when they ran it at him in practice? I bet Daoust and Clark remember.
All kidding aside, I am not saying it won't be a challenge, but I'm also not saying we lose. I am only saying that Dino acknowledged the emotions and that he didn't expect the toll they extracted against MTSU (and yes there were a lot of left side overload blitzes IIRC). All I'm saying is I see quotes from Dungey about his eternal gratitude to Lester and I hear echoes of the emotional conflict that only played against us with MTSU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom