ACC minutes played | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC minutes played

ok run 440 meters and give me your time
now run 880 meters and give me your lap time.
next run 1200 meters and give me your lap times.

guaranteed it dropped.

run 440 then rest 4 min, run 440 then rest 4 min, run 440 then rest 4 min, thats more like bball

then again that does that make you slower than the sub you wanna put in?

also goes against most long distance runners who run negative splits all the time

ok so you don't like howard. but my point is just keep in mind the extra minutes spent makes your starters worse.
and now i'll concentrate on tonite's game. GO CUSE

he plays howard until he screws up.. he plays Gillum until he screws up too.. one screws up more. If TT didnt get into foul trouble and make msistakes on D he would play 10 more min a game and robey would be sitting more.

Gillim at 80% is still better most of the time than Howard at 100%. time will tell if it means we go down hill at the end of the year.. And I also agree that this wont work as well in the ACC tourney

this is a team sport.

and you don't replace Usain Bolt on your relay team because he ran the 100 yesterday.

and you certainly don't replace him to put in Refrigerator Perry.

It's absurd when Boeheim apologism reaches a level where someone claims that athletes don't benefit from rest.

Please, share more physiological insights with us. And explain why Lebron James doesn't play all 48 minutes every game.

It's absurd when Boeheim apologism reaches a level where someone claims that athletes don't benefit from rest.

Please, share more physiological insights with us. And explain why Lebron James doesn't play all 48 minutes every game.
It's absurd when the urge to inflate one's ego by suggesting they know more than the professionals charged with this do requires them to invent this nonsense.

How old is Lebron?
How many games are there in an NBA season?
What kind old defense do they play in the NBA?
How long is an NBA game?

What actual evidence do you have that shows or even suggests that SU players are tired in a game or at the end of any season? ( I will help you on this last ? The answer is you have nothing.)

I think it's fair to look at past teams and say had a player here or there played a few more minutes throughout the course of the year we would have been better for it in the long run. This is not one of those teams. FH has been a liability and DC is obviously not himself. There is literally no one else to play. You play the hand you're dealt and this hand only has 6 viable options.

I agree. There have been some teams over the years where I think the bench could have been more of an asset. But this isn't one of them. I'm not exactly dying to see Frank play any more minutes either and Coleman seems really limited physically right now.

i often use the NASCAR analogy . (i love nascar) . becuz as a fan you love to see your car running out front. but as a crew chief you realize the laps are taking a toll on the tires. and the longer you stay out the slower you get. to the point where even lesser motors will power by you. nobody likes to see their driver in the pits. even for 1 minute. but i believe
it's best for the long run. get fresh tires and top off. short term loss but long term gain. otherwise...running on empty.
We got no spare tires.

imo so anyone here who thinks that having a strong bench is a weakness seems deluded. and anybody who thinks playing 40 minutes makes you a better team enjoy. that's my take . agree to disagree.
That is called a straw man argument. In the dictionary, this is it. Everyone would love to have a bench like we did in 2012. A lot of guys played that year. With the sanctions and the recruiting misses, we have no bench. We can play DC and howard more and lose. Or we can try and win. I would rather try and win. I guess you wouldn't. Agree to disagree.

No one said that. What we have said is that while those guys would be better off with more rest, we don't have anyone we can put in that won't absolutely kill us.

ok so you don't like howard. but my point is just keep in mind the extra minutes spent makes your starters worse.
and now i'll concentrate on tonite's game. GO CUSE
LOok at my avatar. See the height Gillon got on his game tying J at the 40 minute mark. If he needs a blow we can put Howard in, but the less Howard the better. I would rather have a tired Gillon. We generally play Robey. if we add Howard we then have 40% of our team unable to score. You got to play the hand you are delt. The difference between Howard and Gillon is the difference between losing and winning.

LOok at my avatar. See the height Gillon got on his game tying J at the 40 minute mark. If he needs a blow we can put Howard in, but the less Howard the better. I would rather have a tired Gillon. We generally play Robey. if we add Howard we then have 40% of our team unable to score. You got to play the hand you are delt. The difference between Howard and Gillon is the difference between losing and winning.

yea man gillon looked so gassed at the end of that nc state game, if only frank played more minutes gillon would have been fresher down the stretch and would have scored 50!

thank you townie for delving into my mind and defining my purpose . now i see your purpose as defending the indefensible.
The purpose of the thread was to share relevant information with the group. How does it become antagonistic?

every coach in the ACC has 5 players who start. nobody plays all 5 for 40 minutes. now ask yourself "why is that?" why sub period ?

How many more mint ues do you want Howard and Roberson to have?

How many less minutes do you want Lydon, White and Battle to have?

It's kind of funny to think we had a team once where the last guy on the bench was Michael Carter-Williams.

No one said that. What we have said is that while those guys would be better off with more rest, we don't have anyone we can put in that won't absolutely kill us.

Townie said that. He's completely full of it with these arguments; he would say that the sun is green if he thought it reflected Boeheim's will.

I agree with you that the bench is too limited to be of much use this season, so the usual "bench is too short" argument isn't as compelling this year. For better or worse, we're riding seven players.

This is stupid especially this year. Look we were sitting at 11-9 not winning meant not going to the tourney. What is the point of resting players for later when there is no later if you don't play them.

Another broken record about kids in the prime of there athletic lives getting worn out playing 38+ minutes a game when they get like 8 stoppages and a half time. Mind boggling.

There are two aspects of this discussion that should be separated, IMO. First, during the regular season, with three or four days between games, I don't think the short bench is an issue. These are kids; not middle-aged men. They recover quickly. Didn't Marquette have to dress one of their team managers one year under Al McGuire? The downside of using the starters so much comes during the tournament, and not in the first game of the weekend. It comes in the second game. In the ACC Tournament, it is why the double bye is so important. All of this is exacerbated by the difficulty of the first (or, earlier) game, and it is in the second half of the second game when fatigue can become an issue. (And, just for the record, none of this has any bearing on Virginia's collapse against the Orange last spring.)

Finally, there is a tangential concern with the short bench. Given the quality of ACC officiating, you never know when fouls are going to become a problem. If there aren't enough quality subs available, this can become worrisome. Player development is enhanced by game experience. However, every coach addresses this in the way he sees fit, and certainly Boeheim's record would suggest he knows what he is doing.

Edit to add: I think you'll have a small hint as to whether Syracuse's short bench is an issue, or not, when the second half of Monday night's game is under way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom