ACC Network | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network

shandeezy7

Living Legend
How do I apply to be a cameraman for the ACC Network? I figure that with absolutely zero experience nor knowledge on how to operate those cameras, I could still do a better job than whoever the heck currently does it.

I'm glad we have it, because I basically will take any content I can get on the conference but the whole operation seems rinky dink and 2nd rate...and honest to god how do you hire the Energy Vampire as a talent on your pregame-postgame shows. Listening to him puts you to SLEEP.

I'm glad we have it, because I basically will take any content I can get on the conference but the whole operation seems rinky dink and 2nd rate...and honest to god how do you hire the Energy Vampire as a talent on your pregame-postgame shows. Listening to him puts you to SLEEP.

The postgame show looked like a Zoom meeting for the North Carolina Association of CPAs. What was that?

How do I apply to be a cameraman for the ACC Network? I figure that with absolutely zero experience nor knowledge on how to operate those cameras, I could still do a better job than whoever the heck currently does it.

It's not just the ACC Network either unfortunately. I watched a game on CBS Sports Network that was just awful Saturday night. They were constantly missing things or having to show replays from another camera angle because the main camera didn't catch it.

The at home viewing experience is great with the HDTVs etc but the actual tv production is just horrible. ESPN is the worst, particularly in college basketball. They are constantly missing things because of showing the coaches, showing the fans and of course, the split screen so they can show the guys in the studio talking about a whole different game, which is really important :) So frustrating!

Last edited:
I was starting to wonder if some of the camera work is being done remotely?

I like when they show Travis Etienne sitting on the bench instead of the next play.

Exactly! All the networks do stuff like that and it's just insane. You would think directors would learn when they keep missing action.

It could definitely be worse. If not for the ACCN, I'm watching most of the season on the internet.
I like Wes Durham and a lot of the announcers.

I just don't like the pre-game and post-game shows. Richt is an energy vampire.
And my kid's Zoom functionality is better than whatever they're using. There was so much dead air due to delays that it made listening to them really painful.

It could definitely be worse. If not for the ACCN, I'm watching most of the season on the internet.

And my kid's Zoom functionality is better than whatever they're using. There was so much dead air due to delays that it made listening to them really painful.

Agree. I like Wes and I think James Bates does a good job. He seems to be enthusiastic no matter what game he is calling. I thought Roddy White was good on Saturday.
But yeah, the pregame and postgame shows are a waste of time even under normal circumstances - actually in general I feel that way about those shows for all sports on all networks :)

Last edited:
I believe the division of labor for RSN's is that the ACCN hires the announcers, FoxSports owns the regional broadcast rights and our favorite - Raycom - does the "production" (cameras, feed, etc). That would explain the amateur quality. As for the network dunce-squad, not only is it worthless .. we surrendered GOR for it (to get constant streaming that isn't constant). And the League/ESPN contract won't "allow" us to have Newhouse kids do 3rd-tier shows like Coach's Corner, Syracuse Sidelines and Syracuse 60. Baffling.

Last edited:

They finally got rid of that Collinsworth idiot. What a disastrous hire he was. That has helped make the shows somewhat tolerable.

I think Cornette is doing a reasonably good job moderating things. He was really bad starting off but it looks like he is getting more comfortable as he goes on. He isn't going to offer anything worthwhile in terms of information, but he is at least trying to engage the sub-standard panel he has to work with.

That fat lineman from Clemson, I think his name is Eric Mac Lain, is not good.

Richt had some health problems last year and has not been the same since. And he wasn't great before that. I think with a good host and director, they could get decent content out of him.

EJ Manuel is decent. You can tell he has no broadcasting experience. But it appears he is at least somewhat intelligent and articulate, and willing to sometimes make an observation.

I would love to see a host who follows the sport and has the knowledge and guys to state opinions. Someone who is willing to force the panel to do more than pick a team they think will win. And the panel members need to bring substance to the show.

It is all fluff. Lots of kidding about alma maters and light banter. It is obvious that no one on the show is a professional and that the director has no idea how to mold this into something worthwhile.

For God's sake, please hire some Newhouse people and get rid of these clueless clowns. Someone thought the ACCN doesn't pay enough to hire new grads from Newhouse. Sorry, there is no way that is right. A lot of kids just of out Newhouse bounce around doing AA baseball, AHL hockey, etc. Or do local news sportscasts. No way the ACCN pays less than a lot of these gigs and the visibility is way higher.

Durham had a pretty bad game but normally he is really good and the morning show he does with Packer is solid.
I really like Eric Wood who gets to do some sideline reporting and has been in the studio a bit, would love to see him replace McLain.
Richt is really not the same anymore.