ACC overrated? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC overrated?

All three ACC teams have tough games today as well. Wouldn't be surprised if Louisville and Duke go down as they aren't big favorites. UNC may be in trouble if Berry doesn't play as he's a gametime decision.

All three ACC teams have tough games today as well. Wouldn't be surprised if Louisville and Duke go down as they aren't big favorites. UNC may be in trouble if Berry doesn't play as he's a gametime decision.
I'd be worried if I was Duke. USC can play and they are going to have 80% of the arena against them. USC and UNC fans are going to take over Bon Secours tonight.

In Duke, UNC, Louisville we trust.

Unfortunate that the ACC's 4th heavy hitter had its worst year in decades and bounced the bubble.

Yeah, that alleged 4th "heavy hitter" that has been a bubble team three years in a row and nothing more than a middle of the pack .500 ACC team. I'll remind you, there's 15 teams in the ACC...the factual stats argue with your 4th "heavy hitter" presumption.

As disappointing this season turned out to be, I think if I was a Virginia fan, it would have been a lot worse.

What leagues were four win Pitt and NC State going to contend in?

I'm not saying that ACC wasn't a strong conference but we can never seem to avoid blowing it up to mythical proportions.

One with bad teams in it. Every team in the ACC is better than their record because they were playing each other every night. It's just that our good teams weren't any better than anybody else's good teams and the teams at the top weren't any better than anybody else's teams at the top. That's why UNC got a #1 seed with 7 losses and Duke and Louisville got #2 seeds with 8 losses.

One with bad teams in it. Every team in the ACC is better than their record because they were playing each other every night. It's just that our good teams weren't any better than anybody else's good teams and the teams at the top weren't any better than anybody else's teams at the top. That's why UNC got a #1 seed with 7 losses and Duke and Louisville got #2 seeds with 8 losses.

I'm assuming somebody cut off your cable/internet access a few days ago.

The big 3 could save the conference's bacon tomorrow.

But Tony Bennett sure as heck is overrated.

It will be the big 2, like it is most years.

I'm just curious... Why is Michigan's band playing Notre Dame's fight song?

This is very much like when the Big East set the record with 11 teams a few years ago. it wasn't because the top of the conference was anything special. We just had that many NCAA quality teams. This is far from the best Duke, UNC or Louisville teams. Virginia didn't immediately replace the players they lost. Florida State certainly under-performed. But it was the sheer number of good teams and the fact that even the bottom teams weren't bad teams. Boston College could have had a winning record in most conferences. Georgia Tech, Pitt, Clemson and NC State might have been contenders in other conferences. There were just no easy games. I think every team in the conference would have won at least 1-2 more wins in any other conference. But that doesn't mean we are going to dominate in the NCAA tournament, which is full of teams just as good as the ACC teams, some that were better.

I'm reminded of Charles Barkley's term "The Big Least" that tournament.

What's the catch phrase for the ACC this year?

I don't think it can be tabled just for beating two 7s and an 8, which would be the case if they advanced beyond tomorrow. They need to do a lot more damage than that.

I agree on UVA, they were wildly overrated. Same with FSU. In hindsight those two wins at the Dome over those two don't look so significant. ND has talent limitations and did about well as one could expect. Same with VT. Miami is a dumb team that quit last night. Wake probably shouldn't even have gotten an invite.
The rating we got at the beginning of the year was based on having Austin Nichols on the team. He was supposed to provide us with an inside presence and more scoring. He was thrown off the team for a rules violation before ACC play began. Most of our posters believe we would have be ranked in the pre-season ACC "standings" about where we ended up if he hadn't been on the roster at the beginning of the year, and probably not in many, if any, pre-season Top 25s.

As disappointing this season turned out to be, I think if I was a Virginia fan, it would have been a lot worse.
We were on borrowed time on offense all year once Nichols was gone. Most of us hoped the good shooting would hold up or we could score "by committee". It didn't happen. The smoke dissipated and the mirrors fell down. When Wilkins left the UNC-W game because he was still sick, even the hard-core knew in their heart of hearts we weren't going to beat the Gators. No one says it was guaranteed we would have won if he played, but there could have been a different dynamic.

Next year most of the projections will have us starting in the middle of the pack in the ACC and probably as an AGV for the Top 25s (about where we finished).

The rating we got at the beginning of the year was based on having Austin Nichols on the team. He was supposed to provide us with an inside presence and more scoring. He was thrown off the team for a rules violation before ACC play began. Most of our posters believe we would have be ranked in the pre-season ACC "standings" about where we ended up if he hadn't been on the roster at the beginning of the year, and probably not in many, if any, pre-season Top 25s.

We were on borrowed time on offense all year once Nichols was gone. Most of us hoped the good shooting would hold up or we could score "by committee". It didn't happen. The smoke dissipated and the mirrors fell down. When Wilkins left the UNC-W game because he was still sick, even the hard-core knew in their heart of hearts we weren't going to beat the Gators. No one says it was guaranteed we would have won if he played, but there could have been a different dynamic.

Next year most of the projections will have us starting in the middle of the pack in the ACC and probably as an AGV for the Top 25s (about where we finished).

I was talking more about where kenpom and BPI had them ranked. Top ten. Which was a joke.

I'm assuming somebody cut off your cable/internet access a few days ago.

Nothing has happened in the tournament to contradict what I've said. Other conferences have op teams as good as ours and good teams as good as ours and we are losing to some of them. it was the number of good teams and the lack of bad ones that made the conference what it was. That does nothing to guarantee NCAA success.

Nothing has happened in the tournament to contradict what I've said. Other conferences have op teams as good as ours and good teams as good as ours and we are losing to some of them. it was the number of good teams and the lack of bad ones that made the conference what it was. That does nothing to guarantee NCAA success.
True you can't judge a conference simply on a single elimination tournament, but it doesn't look good when 1 out of 9 teams makes it out of the first weekend and a high number of the losses were upsets. It's not like the high seeded ACC teams were losing to similarly seeded teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom